Definitive textbook on Social Security available

myhome

I'm not advocating this book, but if it helps just one person here get the funding they need then it was worth posting.

-------------------------------------------------------

Everybody approaching retirement - or already there - needs a handy, understandable and trustworthy source of information about three of the most important subjects for that age group: "Social Security, Medicare & Government Pensions." That's the title of a 452-page book that has been around for more than 20 years but whose 12th edition was just published by Nolo in paperback for $29.99. The author is attorney Joseph Matthews with Dorothy Matthews Berman. He is an attorney who has taught at the UCLA Law School and has written numerous legal guidebooks for lay people. Berman is his mother who has been a program director at a senior citizens center in the Los Angeles area. What's neat about this book is that it is easy to use because it is well organized, is written in plain language, and covers all the essentials for most normal situations. But it is not as detailed as you might want in your particular situation.This book is especially good in explaining procedures for applying for different types of Social Security benefits (disability, retirement, dependent, survivors); Medicare Parts A (hospitalization), B (doctors) and D (prescription drugs) benefits; and veterans' benefits. It also explains well how to appeal adverse decisions by government agencies.

Full story here http://www.hernandotoday.com/MGB3T7GG15F.html

thank you stu, for sharing the info. it looks like it would be helpful to many on our website, especially if it is easy to understand. you always bring us interesting articles to read and helpful information. thanks again.

Stu,

I read the full story and noticed it's an advertisement to buy the book which is great. Like you say, "if it helps one person it's worthy of being know to the folks here."

My pet peeve with the whole social security system as it's known to most of us is this: Why is there so much TV advertisements by law firms stating that "social security is ALL they do?" I noticed the same type ads on TV here in New Orleans by law firms with the same claim and wording.

I just can't believe a law firm doing nothing but social security claims. They would starve to death and not even begin to pay for the cost of Law School years.

I just don't see a law firm being in the practice of Law with some firms having several members sitting there doing nothing BUT social security cases helping you get your money and they don't get paid until you do. Something is not right with that picture in my eyesight.

They even state that more cases are approved with attorneys than those without. And they further state that they worked for SS but now they work for you. Meanwhile if you call SS they give you all the information and people here has applied for SSI and with proper documentation, was approved the first time.

Seems to me the doctor writing your case is the key person to convince SS you are eligible for the funds. Perhaps it's each persons eligibility with SS guidelines that the lawyers are good at amending to make you become eligible where you wouldn't otherwise.

Now, here is a book being advertised for 30 dollars when the SS Web site has all the guidelines that can be downloaded or picked up from the nearest SS office for free.

I feel in my case part of my success was from the lady at social security, I had my interview with, she was very good at discissing everything and asking questions to get the info. since I was still foggy then I owe her to getting all the info in the paperwork, plus all the testing the doctors did before leaving the hospital.

Fred, as an attorney, I'll give you the quick answer, there are absolutely firms that specialize in SSDI cases, they aren't the really wealthy firms, but they get by. The average US citizen can only read at the 8th grade level, so the SSA forms are daunting for a healthy person, never mind a brain damaged person and their shocked caregiver. Further, SSA is now forcing everyone to apply online or in person - no more mail-in forms, so there is a time element to completing the application.

Archived