Stroke Rehab Information

AZ Leah

[Hi All: I found free information on the National Stroke Association website (www.stroke.org). They have a small magazine you can get at no charge which has a lot of information especially for a new stroke survivor and also has several pages of physical exercises in it, with pictures, including range of motion exercises. The booklet is called "Hope..A Stroke Recovery Guide". I was lucky in that my insurance paid for physical, occupation and speech therapy and also gave me pages of exercises to continue at home many of which were on the bed or floor with my arms. My husband bought me a couple real light weights at a 2nd hand sports store (1# & 2# to begin) and a over-the-door pulley to work the arms I am doing pool therapy and also do weights once a week - I am 14 months post stroke and without vigilant exercises I would not be in the condition I am in. One day at a time, a baby step at a time and I have gotten better. I believe one can continue to improve year after year if we work for it. Leah

Thanks Leah,

It has been over 10 years since my stroke and I still had not registered at stroke.org

Lots of information indeed!

Pat

leah, you beat me to the board on posting about this magazine. i also received it and there is alot of great information in there for survivors and caregivers. i think it was only 5.00 for the magazine. thanks for getting the topic started. i am so happy you are getting stronger now post stroke, baby steps indeed

Hello community,

There is also a magazine from American Stroke Association, http://www.strokeassociation.org/presenter...ntifier=1200037 This is a free magazine to sign up for. There is also information on this website. I visit both ASA and NSA for news.

I hope you enjoy this magazine also.

You can actually download the book onto your computer. That's what I did and then printed the chapters that I felt I would refer to more often. This book has some good information for both the survivor and the care giver. I also signed up for the free magazine that they offer. Thanks!

Archived