Isn't this the truth

myhome

A story with a surprise ending........................

How old is Grandpa???

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about currentevents.The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings atschools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandfather replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' television

' penicillin

' polio shots

' frozen foods

' Xerox

' contact lenses

' Frisbees and

' the pill

There were no:

' credit cards

' laser beams or

' ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

' pantyhose

' air conditioners

' dishwashers

' clothes dryers

' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with atitle,"Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycarecenters,and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, andcommonsense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and tostandup and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a biggerprivilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the eveningbreeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings andweekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters,yogurt,or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches onour radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening toTommyDorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were allanickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enoughstamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . . but who could afford one?Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

' "grass" was mowed,

' "coke" was a cold drink,

' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and

' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

' " chip" meant a piece of wood,

' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and

' "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed ahusband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" andsaythere is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind...you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad atthesame time.

This man would be only 59 years old

Being a product of the tale end of this generation possibly, I'm a stickler for manners. This can be somewhat challenging to say the least with teenage boys., but in as much as they like to appear to be ignoring me it seems they hear me. Last night when I attended my son's high school Back to School Night his history teacher was talking about a class discussion of manners and how times have changed.

She said she asked what, if any, manners were taught at home. One boy (she feigned not knowing who) said he must address adults by sir/madam, shake a gentlemen's hand firmly, keep his elbow's off the table and he went on. She then asked him if he knew why he did these things and said he mumbled something about having respect and class.

He then proceeded to demo a proper handshake. Someone needs to teach this kid that part of having class is exercising humility.

She said none of the other kids in the class said they are taught anything about manners. I'm sure she was trying to make a point to the parents. I'm also sure it didn't go over their heads. They're not stupid they've been my parents as a teacher, sadly it was pointless it's just far too much work.

He'll probably get beat up after school today, but he's a wrestler so odds are he'll survive.

Hey I represent that. LOL

I can remember when they all happened. Guess I am just getting older .

Hank :bouncing_off_wall: :laughbounce:

good grief! i am one of those "oldies" too! my husband and i both say to ourselves remember what is was like when blah blah blah. i think i most miss people being polite. when i say thank you to a cashier and he/she says "no problem" i wonder where we are headed. thanks for the post. cheers! kathy

good grief! i am one of those "oldies" too! my husband and i both say to ourselves remember what is was like when blah blah blah. i think i most miss people being polite. when i say thank you to a cashier and he/she says "no problem" i wonder where we are headed. thanks for the post. cheers! kathy

Hmmmmmmm,

I don't have any of those problems. I say thank you to anyone that's done something for me (waiter, tradesperson, cab driver) and I always get a you're welcome back.

Hi Stu Iwill be 56 in Dec - my husband is 58 -- 2 yrs until reduced cpp ( early gov't pension

So we are in this range I didn't realize a lot of the listed items didn'y exhist when I was born

I remember watching Mickey mouse club on a cabinet black & white tv when I was 5

Really cool!

Susan

Hi Stu Iwill be 56 in Dec - my husband is 58 -- 2 yrs until reduced cpp ( early gov't pension

So we are in this range I didn't realize a lot of the listed items didn'y exhist when I was born

I remember watching Mickey mouse club on a cabinet black & white tv when I was 5

Really cool!

Susan

Hi,

I remember Annette and Franky on the Micky Mouse club, and watching it on a 23inch B&W consel as well. Do you rememer Lash Raaloo, Lone Ranger?? I remember watching the the first time the Beatles preformed on the Ed Sullivan show on the same TV in 1964, I was 14. Do you remember what the first song they sang on his show?? I do, lets see how many get it.

HMMMMMM, it was either, I wanna hold your hand. or She loves you.

Just a couple days ago I was lamenting over the lack of variety shows on TV anymore...used to be Carol Burnett Show, Ed Sullivan, Dean Martin, Flip Wilson, Smothers Brothers, etc.

How will any hip bands become nationally known/seen? Unless it's by Leno or Dave Letterman or even the Today show?

Does anybody remember the guys that would spin plates on the end of dowels? Who does that kind of thing anymore and where do you see it? Letterman has had a few 'acts' ala the old time variety shows...eg ventriloquists, the 'grinder girl', the 'hula hoop girl', etc. What about those people who could contort themselves into pretzels, and the tumbleres? That was always fun to watch. I miss the Tim Conway skits. Man, he'd have me rolling on the floor everytime. And it wasn't 'dirty bathrroom humor', either.

There, I've said my two cents worth!

I don't have a clue since I was only 2. My husband seems to think it was She Loves Me. His guess has a somewhat better shot since the old fart has ten years on me, which of course I never miss the opportunity to remind him of.

A few were correct it was "She loves you" and the place went wild, girls screaming ...fainting and having to be carried out.

Remember Topo Gigo? Eddy, Eddy, gimmee a kiss Eddy ;)

hmmmm...on website Songfacts for "I Saw Her Standing There" it said: The Beatles performed this on their first 2 Ed Sullivan Show appearances, which took place a week apart in February, 1964. Getting on the show was a really big deal because it had a huge audience. About 73 million people watched the first show, which made The Beatles household names.

I did the search as I couldn't remember - I was almost 10 then. :rolleyes:

hmmmm...on website Songfacts for "I Saw Her Standing There" it said: The Beatles performed this on their first 2 Ed Sullivan Show appearances, which took place a week apart in February, 1964. Getting on the show was a really big deal because it had a huge audience. About 73 million people watched the first show, which made The Beatles household names.

I did the search as I couldn't remember - I was almost 10 then. :rolleyes:

They sang two songs, one was She loves you and the second was I saw her standing there.

The Beatles played this on both of their live Ed Sullivan Show appearances. When The Beatles agreed to do the show, they were not a big deal in America and took less money than most acts received for their fee. When The Beatles played The Ed Sullivan Show for the first time, it got the largest audience ever for a TV show. Sullivan began having regular musical guests from the world of popular music, and it became a showcase for groups like The Rolling Stones, The Supremes, Santana and Creedence Clearwater Revival

Thought you guys might enjoy this too:)

http://moreoldfortyfives.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm

Coincidentally a few weeks ago. My mother commented about how they really don't play up the Jerry Lewis telethon like they did years ago.

I responded that maybe that was because now you're scanning 300 channels instead of 10.

Thought you guys might enjoy this too:)

http://moreoldfortyfives.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm

Coincidentally a few weeks ago. My mother commented about how they really don't play up the Jerry Lewis telethon like they did years ago.

I responded that maybe that was because now you're scanning 300 channels instead of 10.

Wow what a site, thanks. ;)

Archived