father at age 49 had a brainstem hemorrhage and is in a coma

kaykay

i went to the long term care place i wanted my dad to go to and they will not accept him because they dont think i will apply for medicare so now i have no choice but to send him to a place i dont want too. becuase his insurance only covers three places. mean while i went to go see my dad today and he was laying in stool all the way up to his back and his one foot was off the side of the bed while the other was stuck in the rail i went home to get my camera and told my mom not to let thme clean him up when i got back she let them clean him up before i could get the pictures i was really mad becuase that is neglect. it hurt me so bad to see him like that once again i wanted to just let my father go becuase i feel like i am making the wrong choice for him.the things are not really going good for me at this point becuase i feel like they want to run over me becuase they think imma child i have one picture of my father in stool but i wanted the rest other then that my dad is still breathing on his own he opens his eyes from time to time but never follow things with hie eyes just looks in one spot

Hi again,

Don't give up hope, and don't let the doctors push you into anything. Your dad is out of his coma, breathing on his own, and looking at people who come in his room. I'm betting his mind is just whirring along, he's in there alright. It takes time, lots of time to heal, and the doctors want him gone so they can have his bed. "DON'T" let them push you into a decision that you don't want to make, push back and document everything.

Remember doctors don't know everything about strokes. Hang in there kid :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kay,

Sorry for not replying before but i have been in hospital for the past two weeks with what turned out to be a urinary infection but they could never isolate any specific bur, it just went as it came. Now back to the questions you asked.

When i came out of the coma i could neither talk or swallow so i was fed this mush, i think Adan have the best fed cats in Kuwait as all the mush went out of the window and my sister brought me in a spit roast chicken which i gummed to death as well as feeding the cats again.

Eventually i regained the ability to swallow and talk after a fashion. The big difficulty was, and still is, i know what i am saying but others do not seem to understand.

The thing to remember is that any recovery after a brainstem bleed is very slow so you just being there is a great help to your father from which you will grow even closer.

After i came home my dear wife filed for divorce on totally fabricated grounds, my eldest daughter, michelle stephanie, voted with her feet and now lives with me as does her younger sister.

Hang in there all will come right in the end but it may take some time.

Love Mike

Archived