Need Suggestions

workngrl50

My son Joey has just been transferred to rehab. It's a lovely facility and overall the staff have been amazing. Joey can talk and although his anxiety level is off the charts a lot of times, especially when something new is going on, his behavior is appropriate. At least it's pretty much like it always was :wink_anim: .

When one of the speech therapists came in to evaluate him (Ross) he asked me to leave the room because Joey was so focused on me. When I got back to the room Joey was nearly hysterical. His Texas catheter had come of so Joey was wet (which he hates because he is fastidiously clean). Also, he had a very raw rash in his "area" so it was burning like crazy and Ross wouldn't let him call the nurse until he finished his eval. Joey said when the nurse came in Ross asked her to leave until he was finished.

So, Joey called Ross some names. Ross wanted to know if Joey always behaved so inappropriately. It took all that was in me to calmly steer my conversation with Ross away from Joey's behavior and back to his diagnosis and treatment plan. Because I wanted to set Ross's a** on fire and insist HE have a civil conversation with ME. :wicked:

Joey's Dr has requested-ordered-that Joey work with one of the two other speech therapists at the facility and I'll stay around during those scheduled session to make sure that happens until his therapy is well established. Have any of you had similar experiences and can you suggest any positive ways to handle these situations? I'd really appreciate some practical advice.

Thx,

Lorri

How horrible for a therapist to act that way! I'm glad Joey will be seeing someone else. After all, doesn't the well being of the patient come first? There is an office there, where I'm sure you can air any problems and complaints. The most important thing the family can do is to look out for the patients' well being because we are very capable at first to fend for ourselves. Looks like you are doing a great job.

Phyllis

Lorri,

I would not completely worry about being diplomatic with regard to the care/therapy Joey is receiving. You may end up stepping on toes but it is important that Joey receive the therapy, care, and DIGNITY he so deserves. You are his advocate so, on his behalf, you can definitely speak up about the wrongs. Even if Joey is not seeing this therapist again, this person, Ross, could continue doing the same to others who may not have an advocate. Thankfully the doctor has ordered another therapist work with Joey.

There can definitely be personality conflicts though...especially when the therapist expects the patient to work and the patient is stubborn and bullheaded (as I was). We compromised though and all went well.

It is not unusual that they would ask you to stay out of the room during eval or treatment, though. It is important to know if he not going to be able to work with strangers. Hopefully he will respond better to other speech therapists. Hang in there, you are going to have many challenges more difficult than this one!

I do recall feeling that some therapists were anxious to look for an opportunity to prove how astute they were and seemed to read in to things that may not have even been there. It is fairly common for someone who has suffered a traumatic brain injury or stroke to have inappropriate verbal emotional and verbal reactions. My thought would be fastidious or not, the vast majority of us would not be happy about having to sit uncomfortably and rashed until the end of a session even if it did mess up Ross's schedule.

When I was in rehab I was forever told I wasn't focusing and was distracted. I wanted to bark at them people, this is all new to me and I'm trying to figure out a lot of what's going on here NEWSFLASH I've always been this way you didn't discover anything. If you leave to my own abilities, of which I still have some, I might be able to self

Personal hygene was always my #1 complaint! I made them stop at any given time for a change. Most times they didn't like it but when asked if they would want to sit in a dirty diaper the answer was always no. If and when I went into my husbands room and found him dirty, before he could controll his bowels first complaint went to the aids for not answerring his call button. Second went to the nursses for not making sure the aides were doing there job and the 3rd went to the Admin. office! They didn't much like it but there is no excuse for someone sitting in that mess no matter what is going on. It takes just a few minutes to make a change and get back to therepy! I learned not to be quiet and to speak up becuase that is the only way to get things done. I was always told make sure to make one good friend where ever you are and we did. As far as being afraid of geting on there bad list...................no one wants to be reported to the state for not doing there jobs so don't worry. If you don't keep on top of things it will not change! Good Luck!!!!

Hi, I agree.. Ross may have wanted to evaluate Joey, without you there, so Joey would not look to you for the correct answer or focus on you. So he could get an evaluation of Joey's own response. BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BUT to not allow Joey to be able to be cleaned up is UN EXCUSABLE and a lack of human rspect, dignity etc. I would yell loudly at someone, first Ross, then his Boss. Have him sit in wet clothes for an hour. How could anyone even focus on something else or give the right response if they are uncomfortable.

I had a Run in with an RN when my son was in the hospital. I told her off in NO uncertain terms.. and NOT Quiety either. I then when to my sons Dr. after writing down exacxtly what happened what day and the Nurses name. Things were MUCH different after that.

Some people get a little too full of themselves or position and think people are in "awe" of their title, or they can inrtimidate someone. There is always someone over them.

You Might also say to a nurse, PT, etc.. Is this how you would want your.... brother, mother.. family member taken care of?

Thx to all of you for sharing your experiences. I can't always tell if MY responses are appropriate so your feedback helps me to get things in perspective.

Yesterday was Saturday and when OT came in Joey did great. When asked if he was getting uncomfortable he said he was "but I'll do whatever you want." When they said they were done he said, "One more time."

He's afraid of working with Ross again. He can't swallow and of all the functions he wants back he wants this one most. Even more than vision. So it's important that he has someone he can work with.

I've written a letter to document the event and to follow-up on what the Dr said she ordered. I'm going to give one to the Dr, one to the unit staff to put on his chart, one to the DON, one to Joey's case mgr, and one to Ross as I think he's the top "dog" in speech therapy. I've just stated the facts...nothing too confrontational...but Joey is so worried about having to work with this guy.

Also, in case others have complained I want to add this to whatever documentation there may already be. When Joey complained to other staff members that day they agreed that Ross was not their favorite person either...

Thx again for just being here. Your support means so much.

Lorri :signthankspin:

lorri. i can't believe that professional jerk treated joey like that. joey has had a brain attack, come on people get a clue or get out of the profession you are in. you do whatever you need to do to make sure your son is taken care of. he is scared as we all were after our strokes, and having family or friends with us gave us comfort in this new part of our lives. joey's behavior due to his injury is to be expected, professional staff should know this and respect his dignity and care for him like they would their own family members. you are his advocate until he is able to do so for himself. keep up the fight lorri no matter what comes your way.

LORRI,

I'M SO SORRY THAT JOEY WAS TREATED DISRESPECTFUL. HE DOESN'T DESERVE THAT. YES, I WOULD INDEED LET THE DON AND ANYONE ELSE THAT WILL LISTEN KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. LET THEM KNOW THAT IT WON'T BE TOLERATED. :ranting:

GOOD LUCK. I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS :friends:

Thx, all for your suggestions. Joey's new therapist is a wonderful young woman and she and Joey are working together quite well to get him to the point that he can swallow. Ross...we were walking towards one another in the hallway and when he saw me he turned and went in the other direction. Guess seeing me makes HIM a little uncomfortable.

Everyone who got one of the letters I wrote was very supportive. That encourages me to continue to be vigilant and pro-active about Joey's therapy.

Joey is doing well. We go for a swallow test this morning. Have any of you gone from not being able to swallow at all to swallowing? Or have a loved one who has? Do you have any tips or suggestions about that?

And what can I do for you? You have all been such a great source of support to me. Tell me what I can do to give something back, please.

Sincerely,

Lorri

Lorri, I didn't have swalloing issues.. Well Ross must be quite embarrassed to face you.

Right now, you have plenty to do with Joey and your family. Keeping us all in your prayers, and letting us know how Joey.. and you are doing is wonderful right now. Even though we may be in "cyber space" we get to know and care about each thru this site. So keeping us informed, and letting us know when you need help and the results is Wonderful

warrm (((((((Hugs))))))) to you and Joey

Guest lwisman

I went from being on a feeding tube for 3 1/2 months to learning to swallow again. I did not pass the first test which was a real downer for me. I did pass the second time a week or so later. After I passed the swallowing test, I ate in the presence of a therapist for several days -- until she was convinced I really could swallow. Therapists will teach him the basics. Swallow twice after each bite, go slowly, be careful. I was also on thick liquids at first. Drank a lot of apricot nectar. It was several weeks before the therapist and doctor decided I could be allowed liquids which were not thick. Like water. One thing I did before I could swallow water was to ask for what I called "swishy water." They gave me water in one cup and an empty cup. I would put the water in my mouth and swish it around and then spit into the empty cup. That way I did not swallow, but my mouth was rehydrated. This really made me feel better. There were some nurses skeptical that I actually wanted to swallow. Crazy. I was not interested in harming myself.

Archived