Stroke and jobs

Hi...question number three.

My mother recently suffered a stroke. The doctors seem confident that she'll recover quite well, with possibly a limp.

I was wondering about jobs and how many of you still work after having a stroke. I imagine my mother won't feel like working for a long time and she works for a great place with great people and a system in place to replace her until she's ready to come back. But, I imagine that if she recovers as well as expected, she'll want to go back to work. I just read another post that made it sound as if most people who have had a stroke do not return to work.

Her job is a bit challenging mentally, but not physically; she could sit in a chair all day if that's what she needed. So, as long her cognitive abilities return (they are not there at present) and her speech as well, I don't see any reason why she wouldn't be ABLE to work, but it sounds like many stroke patients are eventually fired? I can't imagine.

Any feedback?

Hi there,

Returning to work is an individual based/medical decision. Stroke recovery, as you have read, takes time and there is not a steadfast time limit for each person. Some have successfully returned to their former employment while others found their former places of employment to difficult to handle (cognitively and/or physically). Some of found other ways to "work" which have been beneficial.

Personally, I worked in social services prestroke. I had "plans" to return to my employment within 4 months of the stroke. Physically I was unable to. And, since I had been still serving a new hire probationary period, my employer released me from the job. That was a blow to me initially. As time has gone by though, I realize it was for the best. Earlier this year, I became a volunteer staff member here at Strokenetwork. I now feel more useful as I am still able to help others plus I'm a stay-at-home medically retired single Mom to my 15 year old daughter.

The financial adjustment was most difficult as I was the "breadwinner" from us. Your Mom can apply for SSDI benefits which may take at least 6 months to get approved. Depending on how long she has been with her employer, she may be able to obtain long term disability benefits through her employer.

There are always options...and life does go on after stroke....it is just different than before. Part of her rehab will include repetition in order to retrain and rewire the brain cells. We've all learned tricks and tips that have benefited us in the cognitive retraining. It all takes time - sometimes longer for some than it does for others.

Hope this has helped you some; it is still very early in her recovery for the doctors to give a timetable for her - and even that varies as there is still so much not yet known about the brain. That's why doctors practice medicine...it's not an exact science.

Feed Back to your question #3,

BTW, give us your name so we can address you in our replies, if you don't mind since your log in name is rather lengthy. We know the introduction now so you don't have to continue to state that fact. If I had to guess I'd say more survivors don't return to any type of work or the one they had prior to stroke.

On the other hand some do work but only after lengthy recovery from their stroke and with the consent of their medical advisers. It all comes down to their mental and physical abilities as they recover if work can be a part of their lives again, even light work around the house.

I can see you been reading and learning along the way. You answer most of your own questions but I feel it's the curiosity inside you at your age and the love you have for your mom. Seeing her like this leaves you with a heavy heart no doubt as it does with every care giver on this site.

Both of your imaginations are in order and we hope the best for your mom as time goes forward. Keep us posted on her progress and write down questions you may have for her medical doctors that we can not answer.

Well you can just call me loves, if you don't mind.

The doctor said my mother will recovery to be the same person we know and love. Why, then, wouldn't she be able to work; why don't others return to work? Do *most* stroke victims remain disabled, whether physically or cognitively? Don't any of them fully recover?

Guest lwisman

Many of the survivors you will meet on this board do not work. If we worked we would not be here as much. There is a wide diversity of severity of strokes. Some people have minor strokes and are able to return to their routines without a lot of difficulty. One of the statistics I have read is that 1/3 of stroke survivors have major long term impairment, 1/3 medium impairment and 1/3 little impairment.

In my situation I had a severe stroke, and am very lucky to have survived at all. I could not return to my old job which required lots of quick interaction. My brain no longer works quickly and my speech is slurred. I grieved over the fact I could not go back to work, but honestly now I am glad I did not. I am healthier, have less stress and enjoy myself and everyone else more.

Only your doctors can make a prediction. And there are many people on this board who healed a lot more than their medical staff predicted. Time will tell.

Loves,

honestly most survivors do not return to work,but then again many do after taking quite awhile off for recovery,I was planning on returning to my old job after taking about 6 months off,but sadly to say I was fired and not given the opportunity to return,even though my left arm remains paralyzed,I would have been able to return and do all of the things I would have needed too,but it seems like most non survivors stereotype us all in the same catagory and will not give some the chance,believe it or not this ended up being just what I needed, since being fired I took 3years off to rehab as best I could,still have no use of left arm,but walking alot better,it took awhile to find a company that would give me a chance,but I did it,On May 2006 I found a much better job than I had pre stroke,I'm still there today,actually making more money that I have ever made in my life.Try to keep your dear mother positive and turn it all over to the Lord,and things will work out for the best!

God Bless,

Tom

Loves,

Your mother will recover to be the same person you know and love. Before I had my aneurysm my 13 year old son and I would take a ride to Starbuck's everyday after school for a coffee and a frap before his younger brother came home. It was his opportunity to have me all to himself to talk about his friends, girls, whatever. Right after my stroke he thought that was gone forever. Now instead of going to Starbuck's I hang out in his room with him as he plays what he's sure is music I'll love and listen to his 15 year old woes. I know he misses my vivacity and so do I, but I am still me and your mom will be also.

It will not change who she is inside or your relationship with her, nor will it turn her in to an old lady over night. The difference in age between your mother and you is about the same as I was with my mother and I know it was always cool having a younger mother. The stroke didn't change that.

Aside from just physical disabilities another contributing factor in not returning to work is stroke related fatigue.

hi loves, since stroke is the #1 cause of disability in our country, i think that explains alot about how strokes affect our society. i tried to go back to my job, but my cognitive and physical deficits prevented me from being able to do my job correctly. i was an office manager in charge of billing and payroll for our 2 facilities. now my cognitive issues are better but still not able to do that type of work i did for over 20years. i miss not being able to work and be useful again. i hope your mom does recover so she can return to work, it would be good for her as long as the fatigue doesn't get to her. i too had to apply for ssdi which i am thankful for. i wish you both the best on her recovery journey.

Hi loves, I have been unable to return to work. That was a HARD pill to swallow for me. I was a certified medicsl assistant in OB/GYN. They held my job and used a temp for over 6 months.... and I worked as hard as I could to try to be able to return. Realizingand recognizing the cognitive deficits I have was a difficult thing, can still be frustrating for me.

Before that I had been a Level A Pharmacy Assistant. I have regained most physical. I have fatigue, memory problems, I am now dyslexic and some vision problems, although I can drive ( slight peripheral vision loss on both sides).

I find volunteering and reaching out to others here helps to fill the void in my life. I also am active in tryig to get Stroke awarness out to others.

I have tried to learn and realize my job did not "define" me as a perosn. I am still me and enjoy my family and life. I am slower, get tired easier, but try to pace myself and activities. I know if I am "busy" and very active that I will need a few days of quiet to reenergize and recoup.

I am one of the lucky ones who have been able to return to work. I had my stroke on 11/22/05 and ws completlly paralyzed on my left side. My cognitive abilites were completely intact. I was in a rehab facility for 3 weeks and went home able to to stairs with the aid of a quad can and not much use of my hand and arm. After much hard work and a never give up attitude, I returned to my job as a high school math teacher ( Algebra II & PreCalculus) the following August. I returned with a cane and used overheads. Today, approaching my 2 year anniverary, I walk without a cane - though not very fast and will be going with students on a field trip to New York City for 3 days. Never give up hope--it is possible to return to work. It is probably the best decision that I made when given the choice. Best of luck to your mother. My prayers are with you both.

Dalene

Loves,

I was one of the lucky ones who managed to return to full time work post stroke. I was off work 11 weeks and then light duty for awhile. After 30 years I retired to become caregiver for my wife who had a much more severe stroke. She was out of it for quite some time mentally but over time with lots of help she regained a pretty fair amount of mental ability. The physical side do not fair so well so no working for her is possible. She is now a 10 year survivor. As many others have said the strokes are all different and how people do in relation is almost impossible to predict but never give up or stop trying. This site has a wealth of info. I sure wish it was around to help me when I stroked in 78. If I can answer any further questions fell free to send me a PM.

John

Loves: she needs to register with her State Department of Vocational Rehabilitation as soon as she is able. It is their job to help find her employment. Their services are free. As to being fired - that depends on her current status, if she is out on FMLA and is unable to perform her previous job duties when her leave expires at 12 weeks, she could be terminated, or they could transfer her to a position where she could perform the job duties, or she could stay out on leave. Depends on the employer's policy. They do not have to hold her job open forever waiting to see if she recovers sufficiently to return. Problem is, that it will probably take a year for her to stabilize enough to know whether she can return to work. So she should apply for SSDI and of she has it, STD & LTD immediately.

Archived