Reality?

whackett

Since there are obviously several brainstem stroke survivors or family members here it appears the young doctor who told myself and my family such individuals are one in a million was clearly pessimistic. While we all know my dad's odds are long since he was given up for dead when he was 13, years before I was born and we all have very strong faith in him and God we believe he can recover. My dad's doctors have told us that his ischemic stroke was in or near his brainstem. Right now he's breathing on his own though they did perform a trach on him to keep him from aspirating into his lungs. The neurologists can't tell us much yet except to say he is most certainly not "brain dead." It was interesting to read here and elsewhere that several brainstem stroke survivors were almost fully aware of what was being said near them as that is precisely how I've been talking to my dad, encouraging him and letting him know how much we love him. My youngest child has been hardest hit by this as she is the apple of my father's eye owing, in part, to their shared love of animals. From what I've read it really sounds like 30 days is the timeline that really tells the story of how likely it is my dad can recover. If anyone has any thoughts on this or any advice to share it would be greatly appreciated. My dad was a letter carrier for 30 years and survived a heart attack several years ago of which there is no evidence today certainly due, in part, to his walking 10 or more miles a day for those 30 years. We are hopeful those same years will help him survive this health crisis as well. I thank you all, in advance, for your information and support. Just finding this site has been a blessing.

Take care,

Walter

Walter,

Please keep encouraging your Dad and speaking with him, encouraging him in the recovery process. It can take much longer than 30 days for the brain to stabilize and to determine a timeline for recovery. As a mattter of fact, recovery is never-ending though at a slower pace after 6-12 months. Much depends on the person and their general health condition. It appears your Dad was in fairly good health prior to the stroke. This is definitely a plus in his behalf.

Our membership are certainly not experts but are willing to share their thoughts, experiences, and blessings.

I, myself, also had an ischemic stroke but mine was right-sided that left me left-side affected. I have progressed farther than the docs said I ever would and I still anticipate additional recovery. As long as I have a breath left in me, I will have the drive and hope to recover.

Please keep us posted on how your Dad is doing and do not give up.

hi walter and welcome to our cyber home. i am sorry to hear about your dad's stroke. yes doctors always present the worst case scenario. many of our members have survived a brainstem stroke. but recovery will be a long and bumpy road and it will take time. the founder of this website survived a brainstem stroke and just got some return of feeling in his face after 13years. the brain is remarkable but it does take time to build new pathways and heal itself. keep encouraging your dad on any improvement. he will need the love and support a family provides. he has made it through 1 crisis already and was in good shape, that too helps. i will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. i'm sure many other members will respond to your post. please keep us posted on how he is doing. all of us are in his corner. god bless you all during this hard time

Hi Walter and Welcome. Glad you found us. we will help and share information all we can. It's great you are talking to your dad. keep encouraging him. The brain heals slowly, and it takes a LOT of repeation and patience.

We have many brainstem stroke survivors here on site. i had an ischemic.. clot on right side.

Hang in there, time and patience is on your side..

Hello everyone. We got a call early this morning that my dad's blood pressure had dropped and they were having a very hard time keeping it up. While he was still breathing on his own we met with three of his doctors one of whom initially insisted that my dad's type of stroke could never result in recovery until I mentioned the fact I'd been chatting with people who had, in fact, recovered from such a stroke on the Internet. After he left the room we actually had to talk about the significance of my dad's blood pressure and the likelihood he had additional damage developing. He went on to something bigger and better at 11:30 our time. I certainly wish I had found this site sooner. I don't think it would have changed things in my dad's case but it is always good to find a place where hope lives. I know a couple of you have emailed me earlier and I'll ask that you do so in a few days. I'd like to share with you and the board some information about my dad and why he would be such a strong supporter of this site. Please keep doing what you do and, above all, let stroke victims and their families know that there is indeed hope. God bless!

Walter

Walter I am Very Sorry to hear of your dad's passing.

I lost my dad many years ago.. I have wonderful photos and memories of my parents. Holiday times seem to bring some warm memories and chuckles ... Your dad will be alive and with you in your heart and memories.

sending warm hugs your way, Bonnie

oh walter, i am so sorry to hear about your dad, have comfort in knowing you were there with him and he heard you talking to him. he will now be your angel watching over his family. sometimes we just can't beat the odds. god bless you and your family during this very difficult time.

walter,

i'm sorry about your dad. you can be assured that there are many people here who are thinking of you and hoping for better things to come your way. i'm sure the love you have for your dad and warm memories spent together are more special and meaningful during the holidays.

Dear Walter,

Thank you for your words of encouragement regarding the Stroke Network. I hope that in some small way our condolences will comfort you and your family. As I read through the thread I was thinking of what I would post to you as a caregiver and my advice was going to be, take each day one at a time. That encourament won't change. Having lost both parents, my dad first, I know this will be a difficult time for your family. I can tell you from experience that days will once again be sunny for your mom and your daughter - as well as your entire family. The strength your dad has shown will be felt through the days to come. Certainly your story is one that demonstrates how, although we can encourage folks regarding all sorts of strokes we just can't write a final chapter. I will tell you that while there are survivors here who have wonderful and miraculous outcomes following their strokes, not all stories are the same. When you feel comfortable we would love to hear about the man you have been blessed to call Dad.

Warmly,

Thanks once again everyone. My dad was in many ways a combat veteran. In traditional terms, he served during the Korean War beginning at the age of 19. To this day it amazes me to think of him as a teenager facing life and death every day. In less traditional terms he was a veteran in that he survived, at the age of 13, a horrible accident no one expected him to survive. He and some friends were on the back of a produce truck that was parked. When the driver started up the truck they all jumped off but my dad's foot was caught and he was dragged a few hundred feet. Much of his right jaw was scraped off, he was comatose, developed a staph infection and was given no hope for survival. He survived but was greatly changed, left feeling very alone and isolated in a world where therapy and cosmetic surgery were decades away from being common. He became very quick tempered and hard-shelled. Over the years he started to identify with those who he viewed as innocent and defenseless, most notably animals and children. He spent 30 years as a letter carrier and many holidays he'd bring folks who were shut-ins to the house. One lady had been born deaf, dumb and legally blind. He seemed to be the only person who could communicate with her. Despite his outward appearance of being very hard and unapproachable I know of so many times he'd find some injured animal on his route, bring it home and nurse it to health. When it came to such beings he was quick to fight for them. He ultimately successfully ran for a city council position in Montclair, CA., far from his childhood home in Mass. He was re-elected twice. Much of his life and most of his heart seemed to be focused on taking care of those who could not take care of themselves. When a cat he'd found years earlier lost as a kitten passed away I remember him literally crying over the loss. Today we have a cat he found that was orphaned, he found that kitten, with its eyes still closed, on a Thanksgiving day. I had to feed it with a bottle and come home from the office every day to clean it as it had no mother to care for it. He taught me that it is more important to do what is right than it is to be popular, to hold on to my beliefs no matter what others might say. When I spoke to him during his final days I know he heard every word I said regardless of what the medical professionals who couldn't help him were saying. While his own injuries were finally more than he could overcome I know he would say to every one of you - fight on, never lose hope, keep believing. There are, of course, so many stories I could tell about him. I don't see any way to post a picture of him here but would be happy to share one if possible. I have one of him and my daughter, his youngest grandchild, that was taken on his 75th Birthday in May that has already found it's way to Paddy's in Cambridge, Mass., that was run by childhood friends of his Bubby and Peggy Ryan (now being run by their daughter). If there's someone I could send it to please let me know.

Thank you all once again, I pray that my father's spirit touches each and every one of you and gives you hope when you need it most.

God bless,

Walter

Walter,

Through the "my controls" under "Member Links", you can can create a photo album and upload pictures of your Dad. Within the drop down menu when you click on "Community Links", and click on "Help" there are topics dealing with site questions and explanations.

Your Dad was a wonderful man and fought to the end. He is now continuing his "work" from Heaven I'm sure. You and your family will have many fond memories of him to hold near and dear to your hearts. May I suggest making donations, on his behalf, to various organization s supporting his causes.

Hi Yes we have a photo gallery and would love to have a picture of you dad, daughter and any you you would like to share. Donna has given some instructions above, but if you any problems uploading the pictures please let one of us know.

Your dad sounds like a wonderful man, I know you have picked up many of his honorable traits and morals. Your dad lives on in you, your siblings, grandchildren.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you. I added a few pictures from my dad's 75th Birthday party. I tried to find one with me and my little brother (he's 20 and about 6' 3") as well as my youngest sister but they must be on another PC. All of you are miracles and I feel more than fortunate to have found this board.

Walter, you have all those memories of your Dad. From your post I can tell you are very proud of him and all he achieved. In some ways life is long and in others far too short. In all ways it is precious. Thank you for posting the photos in the gallery as that helps us to see him through your eyes too.

Keep on sharing those memories of your father. That will keep him alive in your heart and in those of family members and friends. My grandchildren never got to see my Dad but I tell them about him and show them his photo and hope in that way I am passing his memory on.

May you find the comfort and support you need in this sad time.

Sue.

Archived