can't say I'm happy to be here.

nobody

My name is Richard Cadle. On July 5th I survived a stroke. After spending a month in the hospital and hospital rehab I came home and started out patient rehab.

From reading through this site I find many of my residual problems are shared by most. My left side is slowly coming back thanks to aggressive rehab - I don't know if my left hand and arm will ever regain the dexterity of my pre-stroker condition.

I have found a lot of commonality here. It's nice to have a place where others can share in the trails and tribulations of fighting your way back.

I am in the process of applying for SSDI and am scheduled to meet with a physiologist Monday for an evaluation of my mental state to see how much I've lost.

Like others here I am a computer guy. I existed in a high pressure environment for years, that is until the stroke hit.

Now I know that I used to write code and configure complex systems, but now I can't remember how I did it.

I'm wondering if I should have my doctor fill out one of the forms stating the extent of my physical impairment for

the disability case worker? I hope not to have to go through an extended appeal.

I am also a member of Mensa, and thankfully I don't have to retest to keep my lifetime membership. I would not score as well this time I think. I have a fog about my thinking, my emotions are on a roller coaster and an anger arises that I have to stop, since once it starts I know I'm overreacting but can't easily halt.

Anyway I have found this site useful and informative, which I very helpful.

Hi Richard and Welcome to our corner of cyber-space. Glad you found us but sorry to hear what you've experienced. Yes, there is the commonality that we all share. One way or another, all our lives have all been changed forever by stroke.

July was not that long ago and you are making good process. Stroke recovery does not end although it does slow down. The roller coaster of emotions you are experiencing are quite normal. May I suggest reading "A Letter from your Brain" located within the Classic Postings and Advice Forum. It may also help to provide you, family members, and medical team with further insight.

Look forward to getting acquainted with you.

hey Richard:

welcome to wonderful world of online support system, I too came from computer backgrond but after my stroke gracefully retired from work force and joined stay at home mom force which is equally challenging, but quite rewarding in happiness. I found this great site and hanged on to it for my dear life

Asha

Hi Richard...

Glad you found this site. I have found so much experience, strength and hope here and people so willing to share their hard earned advice.

Good luck with SSDI. It would be nice if they would just approve you right away and I'll think positive for you.

Take Care,

Lorri :welcome:

Hi Richard and Welcome, I understand your not "liking the NEED to be here" But we are glad you found us. We all understand. I applied for SSDI and did get it on the first time. My Dr filled out the forms.

I have overcome much of the physical deficits.. The deficits are mainly cognitive and in a personal or social setting are not all that noticible ( I have also learned to handle these types of situations ) but in a work capacity .. I no longer have what I need to handle a streesful or fast paced environment. My short term memory is not great and I am now dyslexic, fatigue, etc.

I do play computer games to help to learn to focus .. I had the attention span of a gnat after stroke. I still have some problems staying focused.. I can have 10 things started and nothing finished.. I am working on that. I do cook and I volunteer here on site. I drive and do some normal every day things.

My walking and gait improved in the 2nd and 3 rd years post stroke.. recovery and progress will continue, maybe not as fast or noticible as in the first year or 18 months.. it is more like "fine tuning".

In the beginning I could barely finish one hand of solitare... now I am here on site or on the computer for longer periods of time.

Speak with your physician about the emotional issues.. they are a normal part of the stroke, medication and patience, recognizing the problem is all helpful. With brain damage.. some of the receptors and neurons for seronotin and norephedrine have been damaged.. so our little bridges and pathways have been interrupted also. Not to mention dealing physically and emotionally with the after affects. One minute we were fine... and just like the lightening bolt (symbol for stroke) our lives were sudenly interrupted.

I am glad you found us, we are here for you, all types of strokes, all places in recovery, you are not alone.. someone here.. has been there done that, and we do understand .

Welcome to a wonderful warm cyber family, Bonnie

Hi Richard,

I don't know whether my husband was unusual or not, however when he had his SSDI psych evaluation there was no doubt he was disabled. I believe the testing will demonstrate your disability without having your doctor substantiate your condition. Frankly, I attempted to get SSDI for a medical condition I have and was referred to one of their psychiatrists who determined that I wasn't depressed so everything is just fine. I'm pretty sure you will be run through a battery of exams to measure any cognitive impairments along with memory and sequencing skills. Your medical condition is probably pretty straight forward as far as SSDI is concerned.

Good luck to you - and you are NOT a nobody. You are a valued individual whose experiences can benefit those around you. You are a real SOMEBODY here.

Warmly,

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the best stroke support site on line. In the world of stroke you would be considered a baby.. four months is a very short time. My stroke happened in January of 2005.. I was 71 years old. Mine was a bleed on the right side that affected my entire left side. I had cognitive issues in the beginning, but things got better in time.

Your brain is recovering from a severe shock and it will take time. Go easy on yourself - take it one day at a time and you will find that each day gets better. It is a long, slow process, but it does get better.

I agree with Ann, you are not a nobody - not here anyway. Good luck in your SSDI application.

Vi

:welcome:

Hello Richard,

Welcome to the site you find where others can share in the trials and tribulations of the long road to recovery. You know, there is a song we sang in church often that says " I'm just a nobody trying to tell somebody about my God" and what he has done for me.

I think we are survivors through his mercy and grace no matter what we think or feel about it. Then I look at the survivors who has endured many strokes and still are here with you and me. We are all somebody in his eyes and he is with us even to the end.

I hope you continue to find the site helpful and informative in every way. Of course not all of us are computer smart speaking for myself. Take care of yourself and communicate with us whenever your time permits.

:welcome: RICHARD,

I KNOW THIS SIGHT WILL BE AS USEFUL TO YOU AS IT HAS BEEN TO ME. :big_grin: THERE'S TONS OF USEFUL INFORMATION AND NICE WARM PEOPLE. :friends:

GOOD LUCK WITH APPLYING FOR SSDI. YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY WILL DECIDE, BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS APPEAL IF NEED BE.

THERE IS A CHAT SCHUEDULE AT THE TOP OF THE BOARD. COME AND :chat: WITH SOME NEW CYBER FRIENDS.

hi ya richard, glad you found us and are posting now. you are a somebody here and very important to all of us. my stroke at 48 from a clot left me with left sided paralysis, but iwas able to relearn to walk with a cane and afo, my arm/hand is not cooperating yet, but i have hope that someday it will. YOU CAN NEVER GIVE UP ON HOPE. you sound like you are doing well so soon after your stroke which is great news. hard work. patience and determination are necessary in recovery, you no doubt have found that out already. i too had cognitive issues after my stroke but they have gotten better with time. a computer is a wonderful tool for helping with that issue. i also applied for ssdi and got it the first time i applied, thanks to my doctors. since stroke is the #1 cause of disability in the u.s., hopefully you will not have a problem getting it also. i wish you good luck on this adventure for ssdi. do try and join us in chat sometime to meets others like yourself and to have some fun. we have a great bunch of chat hosts. keep working hard in your recovery and as mema said it does get better with time.

Everyone tells me how well I'm doing, but I think it's going extremely slowly. I do see improvement, but each day I wake up and feel like it's groundhog day all over again. I have to remember how to walk, by the end of the day I think I'm doing ok, then I wake up the next morning and do it all over again. But hey, what else do I have to do - so its rehab at home, rehab at the rehab center, sleep, repeat.

I will mention that I have a pool and the rehab center has a pool which has helped walking immensely.

aloha richard,

i understand the feeling that everyday is like groundhog day. the monotony can drive you insane but we all go thru it. i would rather have my life in politics back even though it was busy and hectic but that's why i had my stroke. stroke was a huge wake up call to take things slower. i helped people who were dealing with the bureaucratic red tape. i had to deal with social security to get ssdi. i never expected that i would become part of the ststem. don't give up on therapy. the more therapy you have, the better you your recovery.progress may seem slow, but you are getting stronger. we are all survivors in one way or another!

Richard,

Welcome to the site! I can't say any of us are actually happy to be here, but we are happy to provide friendship, support and understanding.

As far as SSDI the more first hand medical documentation you provide the better off you will be, kind of like heading them off at the pass.

Physical losses we incur as a result of stroke are somewhat easier to deal with mentally because they're tangible and we can clearly see the damage. The loss to your IQ is more than likely not as substantial as you fear. Very highly intelligent people can easily synchronize both sides of their brain, which is why you'll find tasks such as reversal and recall on IQ tests. You're not any less intelligent, your brain just can't multi- task and dual process anymore right now. That's not to say you'll never be able to do it again either.

I have noticed that I can still do it, but I no longer have the ability to do it at lightening speed and that I have accepted I may never again be able to process at the speed at the rate I once did. You will also have to retrain your brain. I found it helpful to begin with the concrete. Break things down, write them down and let yourself gradually work your way to the abstract.

Richard, try not to be angry about it. Live happily knowing you're a lifetime member. Unbeknownst to me, my doctor set me up with an associate of his shortly before I was released from rehab. He did it as a by the way before I let you go I just want you to see

Richard,

I had to come back and add this thought.

Why is it that Mensa's membership is lifetime without stipulation or requiring reqaulification? Ponder that and hopefully you will see that it may be quite possibly their view is that your intellect is something you have owness of, and therefore can never really be taken from you or lost. They never ask you to prove who you are again because who you are doesn't change, and you're not nobody you are still Richard who is still a very intelligent gifted man. Do you want to outsmart the stroke? Don't let it destroy what you have left to life.

Thanks for all the welcomes. My username is not so much a feeling of being a nobody but a username I use in other forums -- nobody shows up in Homer's "Ulysses" and Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking Glass". I'm a fan of Homer hence the reference.

Tomorrow I go in for a mental evaluation as part of my SSDI application, I'm not sure what all they will test. I did request a copy of this test in case I need it for an appeal. I've been wondering if I should also schedule a physical evaluation form through my doctor and also supply this report to the case worker in an effort to avoid the appeal process.

Tom71, i see the harley shield = do you ride? I have a 2003 softtail and tell people I need to get my left hand and arm working well enough to work the clutch.

Hi Richard!

I just wanted to add my WELCOME! to you and wish you well on the SSDI thingy. I 'm sure things will work out for you in the end, it can be a process but worth the trouble. After all you paid into these benefits when you were working and you have a right to it. As others have mentioned we have live chat and a blog community here at this site. I hope to get to know you through either one. This is a very friendly and helpful site. We offer our support, understanding and virtual shoulders to lean on. You are part of our cyber family now and we are here for you. I hope you find comfort here Richard and it was a pleasure to meet you :bouncing_off_wall:

richard,

it would be wise to have your own physician do an exam. i have dealt with social security because of my job in a congressional office and now because i had to apply for my own benefits. i knew the process and was fortunate to have my boss intervene when necessary.

just a word of advice --- from my professional and personal experience, i learned that you have to make sure things are stacked in your favor to defend yourself. it helps to have an advocate to act on your behalf. that person should be your physician/physicians since they are the ones who regularly see you and know what you are capable of physically/mentally thru the recovery stage. the physicians that ssa (soc. security administration) uses tend to lean in favor of their ssa standards just so they don't have to pay out the maximum benefits. the system is really dysfunctional.

the best thing to do is rely on your physician, keep good files of your medical records, and any communication you have with ssa. it took ssa 4 months to approve my claim for ssdi. getting stuck in the bureaucratic red tape is no fun. they told me that when/if i decide to go back to work, i cannot make more than $1000 per month since it would affect benefits. good luck!

Hello everybody, I've just spent some time here searching for the form I can take to my doctor to document my physical abilities. It seems as if when I was first previewing the site I saw a PDF form that I could print. Anyhow I meet with a mental doctor - sorry today I don't remember the word- and planned on following up with this physical evaluation for the caseworker. I really hope to get this approved the first time.

thanks for any help. I won't be able to check back in until after this upcoming testing.

Richard,

Sorry I'm sure it's too late to help you out with what you were looking for today. If you need help finding something like that again. You can always PM one of the staff members. There is usually at least one of us on, and if you go to the bottom of the message board you can see who is.We are most familiar with the site and would get an immediate pop up on our screen with your question. A little tip ~ an easy way to recognize a staff member is our user names are either "Host____" or a first initial with a last name, e.g. mine is merichsen. So although you don't know our last names they most times can be distinguished from the obviously created.

Hope thing went well today.

Maria

I found it; it is the RFC FORM.

I down loaded it and scheduled an appointment with my family doctor. I also left a message with my casewoorker taht I also want to submit this for my initial evaluation of disability.

The test showed that I still can recognize patterns (spatial ability), but my short term retention and memory are pretty bad

I apologize for my earlier whole song and dance. I see the tests you were referring to were fairly common. I'm sure you must be relieved that you were fine with spacial relations. As for memory issues, we may also come up on a search for CRS, since this place is pretty much CRS central. Memory issues are the most common cognitive effect of stroke especially right side strokes. We have tons of tips and suggestions to help improve memory function. Bonnie is our post it note queen, helping people with memory difficulties is her forte.

I see we have the same sig line. :gleam: As for a song and dance, I enjoy a good show and realize all here are only trying to be helpful - which you are. So far I have found this site extremely friendly and supportive.

I see we have the same sig line. :gleam: As for a song and dance, I enjoy a good show and realize all here are only trying to be helpful - which you are. So far I have found this site extremely friendly and supportive.

True, but I had it first :nana:

Yeah for Post it Notes, Notepads and Timers. Lol when i first started cooking I would set the timer.. and then wonder why it was going off...LOL..

I didn't serve any "burnt offereings" but I have to admit.. few were close...

It takes loads of practice to stay focused. I had the attention span of a gnat .. I feel as if i have become ADD. so practicing with computer games, doing some light hobbies, etc. I have more focus than a gnat... usually, but still get side tracked very easily...

Just hang in there and practice, practice practice.. Repeation is the key to re-learning and re-wiring.

Archived