can't say I'm happy to be here.

nobody

:Clap-Hands: hey richard i want to be one of many to :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: you to stroke net you will find that thissiteisa AWESOME SITE here you cab just be yourself no josshing every one has been great to mesincei becamea member a while back you wil finfdthat you wil make new and lasting :friends and :friendships here hope to catch you in a chat som evening ornite time :chats oreen awekend :chat: talk soon

BESSY :big_grin:

Welcome Richard: Ditto to everybody's posts. I had a brainstem stroke June 06 and wasn't expected to live. Through a lot of (and still ongoing) rehab I do not have nearly the problems I had in the beginning. My biggest problem is my gait - the left leg just doesn't want to respond to my brain. Glad to hear you have a pool for therapy; it has helped me a lot. I do pool 2x/week and do weight training 1x/week. I know what you mean by groundhog day. But with time, I have gotten into a routine and my fatigue isn't as bad and my endurance is better. It takes a while for the brain cells to recover from such a shock. I am more alert and my memory better than at 6 months alto' I still have to nap almost daily.

I live one day @ a time and try not to beat myself up or to project of what may or may not happen in the future. I just continue to work and have hope and faith that I will continue to improve.

I didn't apply for SSDI because I was 63 when my stroke happened (I was already on SS and retired) and I heard that in order to qualify for early Medicare, one had to wait for 2 years. Well I can get on medicare next year. Good luck with the SSDI; sounds like there shouldn't be a problem. I was sure grateful I had good medical insurance although I used to complain about the high premiums. Now I don't complain. After all, what is life worth? There is still so much worth living and I am grateful for the progress I have made. My husband has been an angel for me more-so in the first 8 months but still is.

Hope to see you around these pages - take it easy and remember one day @ a time.

Leah

Dear Richard:

First, I think, the good news: the fog seems to lessen (at least for me) every day. My stroke(s) occurred at the end of January, and I had open heart surgery to replace an infected valve in March. I bitched routinely about the "fog" I was in to every MD who would listen to me. Finally my cardio guy cut me back on Pravastatin to 20 mg. and I noticed that I don't have as many fog issues and I did before. Whether the cutback had anything to do with the fogs to begin with, that I don't know. I'm just happy most of them went away.

I too was professionally active and have the same problem, less today than a couple of months ago--I can't remember what the hell I did each day. It's literally driving me nuts. I know that I did something daily, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. But that too seems to be diminishing, and I find myself more active as the days progress. That said I'm not satisfied that my voice will bear up that well (I used to be a consultant to the government), so I too am on the sidelines, professionally speaking (no pun intended). I do have hopes that my voice will take the route and improve so that I won't be so damned conscious of everything I say.

I know that this awfully hard, but you appear to be progressing. I expect and hope that you will continue making improvements-probably not as fast as you want, but improvements none the less.

rick

Archived