Stroke Survivor

Guest linda1221

Guest linda1221

This is the third time I have tried to do this. I hope it works this time. I have trouble figureing things out since my strokes. I had my first stroke 11/25/06 my second 02/07 and my last 04/07. I have problems with my short term memory, confusion,unable to make decisions and very little stamina. I tire very easy and once I get tired my speach and finding the right words become difficult. I am weak on my left side and use a walker, cane and a power chair to get around.

I really want to make friends and be able to talk to someone who knows what having a stroke does to you mentally and physically. My family is very supportive and loving I just have trouble trying to explain my feelings sometimes and I know you will all know that feeling that you have when the fear of the future and sadness of what you have lost hits all at once. I can no longer do the things that I want as I tire out so fast. I have not cried or even felt depressed but I do feel I lost alot of myself that I will never get back and that loss is sometimes overwealming. I am so thankful for being in the shape I am in. I can enjoy my family and do things in small spurts. There are the good days and bad, but the good out weigh the bad 10 to 1.

:Hi: Linda and Welcome to our corner of cyber space. Glad you found us. Sorry to hear you've had to battle strokes 3 times. You'll find oodles of support, encouragement, and virtual (((hugs))) around here. We've all, in one way or another, been there and done that. No one can fully understand our plight ubless they have walked in our shoes or been a caregiver. My family is loving and supportive but do not have a clue as to what is involved as a stroke survivor.

On 1-1-07, I will be three years post from a massive right-sided ischemic stroke that left me with left sided hemi-paresis. Today, I walk with an AFO and am able to motor around within the house or short distances w/o my hemi-walker. Once I remove my AFO I use my hemi-walker rather than smelling the carpet every time I attempt to walk. My left arm/hand remain non-functional, but I still have hope.

We've got live chat sessions throughout the week as well as a Blog Community. Look forward to getting acquainted.

HI LINDA,

WELCOME TO STROKENET! I'M SO SORRY THAT YOU'VE HAD TO DEAL WITH 3 STROKES. YOU'LL FIND THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF CARING AND SUPPORTIVE PEOPLE HERE. THERE IS A LOT OF HELPFUL INFORMATION HERE WITH A LOT OF DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES.

I HAD MY STROKE ON 11/6/06 WHICH LEFT ME WITH VISION PROBLEMS AND LEFTSIDE WEAKNESS. I USE A CANE, AFO AND AM ABOUT TO TRY BOTOX SHOTS TO HELP WITH SPASMS AND MOVEMENT. YOU CAN START A BLOG TO EXPRESS YOUR JOURNEY WITH RECOVERY. I SPEND A LOT OF TIME GOING THRU ALL THE POSTS AND IT HELPS TO GET BETTER ACQUAINTED WITH MEMBERS. IF YOU NEED HELP GOING THRU THE SITE, JUST ASK FOR HELP AND THERE WILL ALWAYS B SOMEONE HERE TO RESPOND!

Hi linda, I am glad you got your introduction in. I also have problems figuring things out and have to read and re-read directions. When I joined here I printed out most or the instructions so I had a copy to follow, as half way through doing something I would forget the remainder of the directions.

I am sorry to hear you have had 3 strokes. I had many of the same problems, couldn't make a decision, couldn't focus and had the attention span of a gnat. With hard work.. and practice, repeating things over and over it is easier now.

Our brains have been injured and it is trying to make new connections and to learn. This is very tiring. Do what you can and rest often. There is no easy way to get from A to C it just requires a lot of patience and practice.

Welcome to the group. I might add when you are on site..on the page to log in ( I use the main forum page) click on Favorites or Bookmarks and add the site, then you will not have to type it in each time..

:hug: Linda - :welcome:

I'm afraid fatigue is a big part of this. I'm usually a great deal better in the morning and try to get my house stuff done then. I've told my husband that I've a 'finite' amount of energy - when it's gone, it's gone! My short term memory is bad now too; I leave sticky notes all over the house for myself.

It's been almost 12 years for me and I STILL learn new stuff all the time.

This is a great site; lots of information, and a big group of friendly, supportive people who understand.

Take care,

Susan :cold:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bran Attack survivors. I had my attack on 3/21/04, just before my son, Mat's, 21st birthday. Quite a present! I am partially paralyzed on the right side. I have about 65% of use of my right leg, about 10% use of my right arm and I have aphasia. Dstraugh is right, no one can walk in our shoes unless they are another caregiver or stroke survivor. My life B.S. (before stroke) I was succesful in business and family life and now all that's changed. But there is hope for another life. Don't get down and stay positive.

Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear of your strokes and that you had so much trouble getting to us. We've all been there, so we understand.

We have much patience and will be happy to help you any way we can.

As others have suggested, bookmark the site. The hardest part was your initial post and you've gotten past that. Just take it one step at a time and very slowly. You will do fine and become more confident as you become more familiar with the site.

We are happy to have you. There are many caring, warm, friendly understanding people here whenever you need us.

Maria :friends:

Hi Linda and welcome to the group, glad you found us. I have had one stroke almost a year ago, luckily I am not paralized from it I just suffer from depression, left side weakness, balance issues, etc, and while I was in the hospital I was diagnosed with vasculitis that I have had for many years without even knowing it that causes me to have some of the most aweful headaches I have ever had. Anyway, I tend to get off topic quite a bit, sorry, I know you will enjoy it here, everyone is very nice, helpful and encouraging.

Diana

Linda,

You found the right site to have many friends just like yourself and going through the same emotions. Just since last night you already had many comments/replies to your post. So you see you will have to log in often to keep up with the friends you have here.

And when you're ready, there are chats daily if you are up to it. You don't have to be afraid, we are all in the same boat, some longer than others.

WELCOME and respond when you feel like it.

Hi Linda!

Adding my WELCOME! to our cyber family. We offer our support, understanding and virtual shoulders to lean on. We are a bunch of friendly and helpful lot and we are here for you. I hope in finding this site you have also found comfort. Again, Welcome Linda! :bouncing_off_wall: :yukyukyuk:

hi linda and welcome to our other home. boy, do i understand your post, i too have some of the same issues. my stroke at 48 from a clot left me with left sided paralysis. i am able to walk with a afo and cane. but my arm/hand aren't cooperating yet, but like donna, i never give up hope. i tire easily too and trying to get my family to understand at times is like talking to a wall. no one understands unless they have had a stroke. i am sorry to hear you have had to endure 3 of them. my memory/cognitive issues are better than they were after the stroke. i use my computer alot plus i volunteer here at the website to help with those issues. i was unable to return to work. so finding this website was a godsend for me. we have so many caring and supportive people here, so there is always help, support,and(((hugs))) when you need them. please try and join us in chat sometime to meet new people and to have some fun. i hope to get to know you better. as bonnie said, rest, repetition and patience are needed to recover from a stroke.

i wish you the best on your journey. it does get better in time. be safe and well.

Guest linda1221

I want to thank all of you for your kindness. I am amazed at how quickly and the number of you who responded to my cry for help. I feel I now have friends that really know me although we have not met. This is a relief I though I would never feel. Thanks again and hope we meet in a chat room someday soon.

Linda

So glad you came back to read your messages. You will find understanding, warm caring people here. We get close and feel like family to each other.

It is hard for someone who has not experienced stroke, or caregiveing to understand. I also felt such relief to find someone who understood and I no longer felt isolated or so lost.

Take your time and find your way around the board.. click on menus. their are biographies, a photo gallery. you will soon learn you way around and make a bunch of new friends.

Welcome

hi linda,

welcome to the site. i am sorry to hear of your strokes - you really have had a time of it! as everyone has said in their posts all the things you are experiencing post stroke are normal. it will get better. you will find the friends and support you are looking for here. this is a wonderful group of people. please join us in chat - you will have a good time and make friends. you can't do it wrong so just jump in. i look forward to getting to know you better on the site and again welcome. cheers! kathy

Linda,

it was so nice meeting you last night in chat. That was such a MAJOR MAJOR step. It's kind of like walking over to a lunch table of kids in high school and saying "Can I sit with you?".Knowing how apprehensive you were initially, makes the fact that you did and hung in so much more of an accomplishment. Often new people will drop in hang for a few minutes, get overwhelmed and run for the hills. Please come back. We try to make a conscious effort to take it slow when someone is new until we see they are picking up the pace themselves. The host usually monitors it, if by chance it gets away and its going too fast, please say HEY SLOW DOWN! We'd much rather slow down than lose you. We're your friends now you can bark at us to slow down.

Maria :friends:

Linda,

I too enjoyed getting to meet you last night in chat. Sorry I had to boogie early but you'll learn soon I am a die-hard Steeler fan and, of course, they were on Monday Night Football.

Please, by all means, let us know if we're moving too fast for you. There ARE certain rules for chat though.....spelling and grammar doesn't count, and there is NO dumb question to ask - the only dumb question is one that is not asked. Most of the Survivors are one-handed typists. We have fun and tease one another but can be serious if someone needs assistance. Friday night's chat is in the coffee shop and is usually a social time with virtual food and drink (cappucinos when hostdenny is present (he is the normal Friday night chat host).

See you around.

linda, i enjoyed meeting you last night in chat, i'm glad you came in, it can be overwhelming at first with so many people, but you did great. remember we all have had to learn too. as you saw last night we like to have fun but are serious too. we truly care about your recovery and how you are doing. you can always PM (personal message) any one of us if you would rather ask a question in private instead of in front of the group. PM is under members links/ my controls. hope to see you again in chat real soon.

HERESE EXTENDING YOU A GREAT BIG :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to stroke net you wil havea great time here meeting and making new :friends: here on stroke net so very glad you found us please drop in a a :chat: real real soon IT WAS SO VERY NICE TO SEE YOU DROP IN CHAT LAST NIGHT HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE AGAIN SO VERY VERY SOON

BESSY :big_grin:

Archived