exercise beyond rehab

Guest djgr

A couple of questions, GR (husband) brainstem stroke, 8/07/07, we have been going to all the rehab that is recommended, but when we ask for more strenuous exercises, they look at us like we just asked for another stroke.

The PT flipped out when we told her we were up to 1 1/2 miles a day (walking that is) and has no recommendations for any other exercises.

I did find a book by Neil F Gordon "Stroke Your Complete Exercise Guide" and since reading that,

we do light swimming aerobics 3 times a week and have joined a gym and started light workouts on the machines.

GR's balance is not so good and he lurches around, when he is on the treadmill and holds on there is no lurching, but if he tries to walk without holding on he is back to lurching, so the question is, if he is charting new pathways in his brain and retraining himself. Should he hold on or let go, what trains him better?

What kind of professional would be able to answer that, hopefully one of you.

Thanks DJ

DJ,

I don't know what will retrain his brain best, I would think walking either way would be beneficial. My primary concern on the treadmill is safety. My balance is not great and I would rather hold on than risk falling. A neurologist would most like be able to answer your question about pathways, but I doubt anyone would advise him to not hold on.

Guest lwisman

Keep it slow, but keep it steady. If he is comfortable with an exercise, I would feel fine about doing it. I am not a health professional, but I have met some who are like your husband's therapist. They can be very pessimistic.

You might ask his doctor for guidance. Does he have other health problems which could be a problem? For example, if he has heart problems.

Incidentally I do fully endorse water aerobics. There are many movements than can be made in water but not on dry land.

Most survivors (myself included) have gone far beyond what medical professionals said was possible.

OK, I GET TO REPEAT MY SOAPBOX ADVICE EVERY SIX MONTHS, AND THIS TIME YOU'RE THE LUCKY WINNER. I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE ONLY, SO HERE GOES.

LIN SAID MY FAVORITE WORD; "WATER". I WENT TO THERAPY FOR FOUR MONTHS AFTER I LEFT THE HOSPITAL IN JAN. 2004. MY THERAPISTS FILLED OUT THE NEATEST AND DETAILED FORMS TO GET THEIR MONEY FROM THE GOVERNMENT. WHEN THE INSURANCE RAN OUT, I ENROLLED IN AN ARTHRITIS CLASS AT THE YMCA. THE EXERCISES WERE EVERYTHING I NEEDED TO GET MY ARMS, FINGERS, LEGS, FEET, AND BALANCE WORKING. THREE DAYS A WEEK, ONE HOUR A DAY, AND AFTER THREE AND A HALF YEARS, I STILL GO. I'M 85% RECOVERED. I DRIVE ALL OVER, I WALK, I DON'T FALL ANYMORE, AND I HAVE A QUALITY OF LIFE I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE AGAIN.

I REQUESTED WATER FOR MY COFFIN SO I CAN CONTINUE EXERCISING WHEN THE TIME COMES. IT'S A NEVER ENDING JOB.

MARTY :santasmiley:

I would see if your insurance would cover an appointment with a physiatrist, a doctor who works in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

My psychologist recommended I go to one. I hope this will help!

I would also be concerned about falling. Better to prevent falls than to recover fom them! Beth

I might suggest that if you have questions for a physical therapist you can go to our home page, look at the bar on the left side of the page and you will see a button that says "Ask the Expert". You can choose that option and you will be taken to the next page where you can ask your question. You will receive another opinion regarding exercises beyond therapy.

Good luck to you!

I concur with Water. I had my stroke in July and after leaving the hospital I had rehab without a pool. I have a pool so asked what I could do in the pool. They gave me exercises that I could do at home in the pool. That is where I first walked and began to move my left arm. Now I am at a rehab center with a pool that my PT uses once a week.

As far as overdoing it, I always do more than they suggest, I want my mobility back, so I walk, work with light weights and use my e-stim machine. I would only recommend no overdoing it. When I get tired I stop and days when I'm just fatigued I do very little except nap - tomorrow is another day, this is not a race but a lifestyle. I continue to get stronger week by week, I still have a long way to go but I continue working at it.

A mile and a half a day is a lot of walking. I measure mine in hundreds of feet. Are you working everything; hand, arm, fingers as well as the leg and foot?

Thank you for the advise, and of course safety is important and observed, GR does all the exercises and loves the pool, he always goes the extra step, I am most interested in the Physiatrist and will check into it immediately. The problem with physical therapist is they do not want to advise on more strenuous exercise.

We are going for a stress test.

Thanks DJ

Archived