what can you do in your dreams?

Anyone whose ever read one of my blog knows that I want to drive more than anything. Lately I've been dreaming of driving. The funny part is in my first dream I got scared and almost wrecked the car once I realized I was driving. But in the 2nd dream (a couple days later), I took my time and drove very good. The scary part of driving for me is I cant see oncoming traffic since my peripheral vision on the left is gone. If only I could drive on the left side of the road! lol but anyway back to the point! :blah_blah: lol When I first had my stroke I could use both of my hands in my dreams then a couple of months or years later, I was the same way in my dreams that I am in reality. I would start dreaming of me trying to run and things like that. My stroke was almost 7 years ago. Does anyone who recently had a stroke dream of themselves before stroke? or post stroke?

I wish I had more dreams where I was like everyone else. I think watching everyone do things with 2 hands then being used to doing things for my self with one hand mixes up my dreams and makes me just like everyone else in the dream sometimes!

In any dreams, I am post stroke but have regained total usage of my affected side. Initially, when I awoke, I would be ultra disappointed that my left side was still not functioning. For the first two years, I dreamed that I was like Annabelle from the Christmas Special Annabelle's Wish (only my limbs were usable on Christmas Eve and after).

I have since accepted that this is not the way it's going to be - although miracles do happen. On a positive, I'm not having bizarre or wacky dreams or nightmares.

Berfore my stroke six years ago. I ran marathons (nine of them). Now I riun them in my dreams.The sightsnd scenes of the NYC Marathon come back vividly for me. I'm still a middle-of-the-pack guy(three to three and a half hours. The Kenyans arem't worried about my preesence. But then, neither were Bill Rodgers, Grete Waitz and Albertoalazar in my early marathons. As they say in the ads for the NY Lottery "Younever know!" i'd be happy to be able to walk the race. Time will tell.

tom holub

My first teaching job was in a predominantly Hispanic area. For most of my students English was their second language, I would jokingly ask them if they dreamed in English or in Spanish that is kind of what this reminds me of.

I am prestroke if I am an onlooker, but post if a participant, so I guess it depends on whether or not I'm dreaming in the first person. My guess would be I'm so muscularly aphasic I can't even dream what my movements should be anymore.

I am usually walking and doing things like I did pre-stroke. I took a nap this afternoon and for some reason I was gobbling up chocolates. Dreaming about Valentine's Day, perhaps. :lol:

Vi

I had not dreamed for 3 1/2 years after my stroke, at least I don't remember any of them, but recently when I had a seizure I started dreaming again. All the dreams are good and in them I am my old self, pre-stroke. Isn't the mind a strange and mysterious thing?

Wow, what a great topic. I dream ALOT and I am always pre-stroke, although my dreams for the most part more like a VCR. I usually dream of events that have actually happened and relive my childhood and high school years often. Weird!

Dreams that aren't of the VCR variety usually are really quick and I don't think I am truly able to perceive if I have the numbness, pain and dizziness.

And to CagedBird, I can empathize with your driving situation! I just got my license back after a year of not driving. I am very frightened since I got my stroke in a car wreck that wasn't of my own doing. I only drive a few blocks at a time. I really had to jump thru ALOT of hoops to get it back. I hope you can get yours soon!

• 4 weeks later...

For the first year in my dreams I was pre-stroke and always woke disappointed. The only thing I can't do in real life now is I can't run - which I still find myself being able to do in my dreams (but whenever I do run in my dreams I become aware that I am dreaming because I run really funny - and then things start getting really weird) :yikes:

Wow,what a topic,my dreams are strange,I do not dream about the things, I did in the past that made me happy and, when I dream now,I am able bodied and could do the old things that once made me happy,but instead I usually dream about being in a war type environment and fighting for my life,I don't understand it,and if in my dreams I'm able bodied,why couldn't I dream about something I once loved,like hunting and fishing,and not killing someone.

Tom

When I dream it's I'm always the way I was pre-stroke but I think some of my medications make me dream silly stuff; like last night I dreamed that I had gotten lip implants and was admiring them in my bathroom mirror. Go figure - I'd like to see Sylvia Browne interpret that one. Another time I dreamed I was a pillow case floating in the air and it felt wonderful, so much so I wanted to tell everybody, but pillowcases don't talk. LOL I warned you they were silly. :laughbounce:

• 4 weeks later...

I had my 2nd stroke over 5 and a half years ago and my right side was affected. I haven't been able to anything with my right arm and leg like I did before the stroke. That doesn't stop me from trying and just doing the best I can do. Before the stroke I used to bowl a 140 average, play golf, and play softball. Today, I can bowl but I have to use an eight pound ball and I'm lucky if I can break 60. My tone on my right side hasn't gotten back to normal, but the main thing is that I still enjoy doing the same activities. I've accepted the facy that I may never reach the same level of achievement that I had before my stroke.

On to my dreams, I may have a dream about 7 time in the pass 5 years where I was actually running. The weird thing is that I remember thinking in my dream how in heck was I able to run, because I knew I am supposed to be not able to run.

Dwayne

hz462

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting topic. I never dreamed much before my strokes. And didn't dream much after my first one.. but after my third one.. I dream a lot mostly scary dreams and I am pre-stroke I think.. not sure.. being my disabilities are seldom noticeable.. I think most of my dreams.. I seem to be watching what is going on and don't do anything about what is going on.. haha the brain.. what a trip. But I intend on asking my dr about the nightmares since I am now on coumadin.. not sure if that is what caused my dreams or not!

After the 3rd stroke they wouldn't let me drive very far.. but I drive where I want and when I want to now :) I hope you get your drive back one of these days!!

*hugs*

Billie Jo

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

In my dreams i am back to my old self, hold down a very responsible job, have my looks back and am able bodied but it is only a dream

Mike

Archived