Nintendo Wii

I heard of the Nintendoo Wii being good for stroke survivors. Before my stroke at age 12, I used to always play videogames with my youngest brother who is 2 years older than me. After stroke, it became very difficult since the controllers are meant to be held with 2 hands and my peripheral vision loss limited my vision of the entire tv screen. I was jus wondering if anyone has ever played the Wii or watched children or grandchildren play it and is it really as good as it sounds? My brother has been begging me to help him buy it and he promises I can play any game with one hand. But I just wanted everyone else's opinions before I spend 150 big ones on a video game system!

A friend from college stopped in over the Holidays, he didn't know about my stroke. Anyhow he has a Wii and says that it would be excellent for me to work on my movement with my arms (golf especially).

Anyhow I intend to get one soon (early to mid Feb) and will report back.

Katrina:

I have not used per say but have seen my son play and it is easily doable with 1 hand, we are thinking of buying it for our son on his birthday this feb, I do play lot of games with my son. now your query made me interested in buying it early such that I can beat him in tennis in our virtual world

Asha

katrina,

i highly recommend wii. i played tennis and bowling when i was visiting my son up north this past october. it was a blast. i had to concentrate and focus. i plan to buy one when we get settled from our move - i want to play with my affected hand. the rehab near me uses it now. the cool thing is you can play against yourself. i say go for it! kathy

hi katrina, yes i have heard that also, on the news one night, i also heard that numerous tv's were being broken, the screen, because people really get into playing it and the controller slips or is thrown at the tv screen,oops. sounds like fun just gotta be careful. let us know how it works for you.

Cagebird,

Walmart sold the Wii for 249.00 during Christmas and 49.00 for most of the games. They still have a few in my store and probably still sold in other places as well. We had it set up in the garden center for display and I played it often late nights and it's fun to play with stroke weakness in your hand.

I just can't afford to buy one or the games. I think your 150 price is a little short of the price in my area at all stores. Do a check on prices in your area.

Thanks everyone. I will look into it. It has been sold out everywhere so Im thinking I might try to purchase one next month. Now I just have to decide how I want to split the price with my brother since I will be on campus majority of the time and he will be at home playing it more than I will! I am really excited about the tennis and bowling game as mentioned. I will update after I try it out :big_grin:

I also heard it is good for therapy. My grandson has played his friends.. I asked about the possibiity of breaking the TV screen as I had heard that on TV also. He said there is a STRAP to put around your wrist to keep from flinging the controller. so whoever broke their TV's was NOT using the safety strap.

So if you and your brother go half on the WII that sounds pretty cool, some Video and Game places have used games for less than the original (new) price. my grandson takes in games he has mastered or no longer uses and trades for other games.

I have also purchased games for his other game system off e bay, but you for sure want to check the rating of the person selling or from one of their on line game stores.

• 4 weeks later...

I used wii recently and it was lots of fun. good for balance and also games you can play sitting down...I like the "fishing". they are hard to find and $$ but check out a used one(all those kids sick of them after the holiday) maybe on craigslist.

enjoy!

beth

The prices will decline a bit real soon from what I'm hearing at Walmart. They got on hand more than they would like at the present time in most stores.

• 4 weeks later...

We got a Wii (LOL) last Christmas and I have to say it DOES help me with my dexterity and balance a lot! I still have problems getting the timing right for hitting the baseball, for example, but am trying to get better at it. ALso try the trauma emergency game, it helps finger and hand control.

Katrina:

I had thought about a Wii,but figured with only one arm it would be a waste of money,let me know how it works out for you,if good, I'll buy one too.

God Bless,

Tom

TOM,

FROM WHAT I'VE READ, THE WII IS ESPECIALLY GOOD FOR ONE ARM USAGE. YOU CAN HOLD THE CONTROL IN ONE HAND LIKE A REMOTE CONTROL. RACHEL ONLY HAS THE USE OF 1 ARM ALSO. IT IS SUPPOSED TO HELP WITH BALANCE AND IT'S ONE OF THE FEW GAMES YOU CAN PLAY WITH ONE HAND.

Archived