Cerebellum Stroke

stessie

I am 8 months' post stroke having had a stroke in the cerebellum. Although my left arm and fingers have almost returned to normal, my gait has still not improved all that much. I walk with a cane and do have ataxia. Can anyone else who experienced a stroke in the cerebellum share with me their plight?

Thank you to all who posted a reply to my being scared to return to driving. I am happy to report that after such encouragement I ventured out and drove two blocks. These are small steps but I will get there. Thank you!

I had a stroke 4 1/2 years ago. Much retruned quickly. But I did walk like I was drunk for quite awhile. My balance, improved over the first 18 months. If I am tired I still have some "wobbly" days. Very seldom dizzy now. I do have to be careful if I get on a step stool.

I was also told by the Dr's if I was going to have a stroke.. it was the best place to have it.

My walking and gait improved in the 2nd and third years, I have a slight limp now and do walk slower....but with practice and repeation most things improve or get easier.

I can only offer understanding. I had a stroke 24 months ago. The function in my left hand and arm is almost recovered. Like you, my left leg and foot has a ways to go. I have progressed to where I no longer use a wheelchair or walker. But I'm slow. I do exercises to keep what function I have. Be patient and careful. My balance has a ways to go. I gave up enough to install grab bars in my tubs & showers. I suppose that is better thanbreaking something else. Keep me posted. Anne

I used a shower chair and hand held shower for about 2 yrs. Our shower is seperate from the tub so only a small lip to step over. For the first year ..maybe a litte more I only showered if my husband was home. The Dr recommended this, he said the temperatur difference and the dizziness I had a chance of passing out.

The shower chair and hand held shower worked great for me.

I also got my left arm and hand back first, but had to learn to control movement and fine motor control. Took longer for the leg.. it is not 100% but I can/do walk un-aided now. with a slight limp, but I have learned to pick up my toe far enough so I don't trip myslef. I am also quite careful with shoes and don't wear anything with a thick sole.

I started walking with aqua socks.. they had rubber soles and I could feel what was under my feet. 95% of the time now I wear high top tennis shoes... more support for my foot and ankle.

An exercise to help strengthen the foot and ankle is to sit with your legs out.. propped up on a stool. or sitting on the bed. Bend your toes out. as straight as you can, and then bend them back in... towards you knee.

Hi,

Ataxia has been in my vocabulary for almost 12 years. Not only my gait, but it affected my eyes too which is why I can't drive.

I started out in a wheelchair, then used a cane for a while, (I looked like a drunken toddler walking! ) now the only time I use an aid is when I walk outside on our property. (A rollator which is kind of like a walker with wheels.)

Here's a wonderful website that explains ataxia well:

http://www.wemove.org/ataxia/ata.html (It reads "pediatric" but it's applicable.)

Take care,

Susan :snorkel:

These are small steps but I will get there

Small steps are way better than no steps trust me.

Took me about a year before I was brave enough to venture behind the wheel again driving.gifmostly because I had to over come that danged issue with ignoring the effected side for me that is the left side.

I still will go out of my way to not turn left into heavy traffic without a traffic light to stop the flow [scares me to death]

For those of you with walking issues what works well for me is when I'm walking I keep repeating the steps in my head like a cadence of sorts only instead of left right left I use heel toe,heel toe the entiire time I'm walking.

If I don't,

I'll end up taking a nose dive and that hurts like Hell especially on carpet.roftl.gif

The main thing for every survivor is never, NEVER EVER give up.

Everyday above ground is a GOOD day!!

Keep fightingBox.gif

Just wanted to say I have been driving now for the past several days. It is giving me such a feeling of freedom. I think it is also helping with my self-confidence.

Hi Stessie,

Welcome aboard!

Yes, I can share with you my plight which is still ongoing to this day. I bet I experienced everything you did including driving. It didn't take me long to return to driving almost before I could walk. I'm still on the long road to recovery while working full time and doing most things for myself which is great.

I must say at this point however I seem to be slowing down in my ability to move my hand and arm especially. I do a lot of walking during my work hours although I use my scooter as well. I'm on 6 meds twice a day and a couple more at bed time so for me it's one day at a time.

You are blessed to have your arm and hand back, the walking with a cane will take a while longer but for 8 months you are on a good recovery road.

Hi Stessie,

I had a cebelllar stroke and I'm going to tell you how lucky you are. The thing with this type of stroke is that you just have a numb feeling, but everything works.

I had a cebellar bleed in May (2003) By September I was walking without any aid (I was in a w/c, then used a rolator for a very short time) and driving. By November, I had gotten a part time job as a field merchandiser which is what I was before the bleed. I had to walk up and down 14 stairs since my room is on the second floor and walked them kiddy style. I noticed that almost 3 years later, I was walking up the stairs adult style and when I didn't start going down that way, gave myself therapy by "telling myself" like an adult- 1 foot on each step. It took maybe a week or 10 days to be able to do it. Because my stroke was on the left, my right side was affected. Although I could eat with my right hand, my brain had me picking up the fork with the left. I almost always now eat left-handed except still use a knife as a rightie. I also write right-handed but not as well as I did. My checks are accepted as well as my signature on credit cards and for things like voting. Actually, the only thing I will not do is use a stepladder above about 3 steps. I could go up higher, but if I had to do something when there, that could be dangerous because of my balance.

You're life will always be a little different but you get used to it and can be so thankful that you had a cerebellar stroke; it is said to be the best place. I have to agree.

Phyllis

If you have any other questions, IM me or send an email. :rolleyes::unsure: :big_grin:

• 1 month later...

I love this place!! I have been scouring the internet for an hour trying to figure out why I can't hang curtains.

Bonnie God bless you for the step stool comment. I was on a step stool looking up at the curtain hanger and trying to hammer in a nail. I broke out it a sweat got completely dizzing and broke down crying in frustration.

I had a cerebellum stroke in April 2007 and I am doing so much better but I still can't walk as far as I want to without starting to tilt to the left. I love what outsider said about never giving up. You people are so awesome!! I am driving and functioning independently in so many ways. It's just hard when you think you are recovered and you hit a wall. I don't mind hard work and I don't want to quit but I'm wondering if there are some things that are just too much for me now? I couldn't do the treadmill at PT with out developing a major headache and feeling like I was going to throw up. So I haven't tried it and just busied myself with taking care of my family again. I am so grateful to be able to do that and I don't wan't to be overreaching but I have heard of people running marathons after strokes and I wander if I'm not pushing myself hard enough? I'm only 42 had my PFO closed and my only stroke risk now is migraine which is 2% risk from what I read.

Hi Redsonya

My name is Allan like you i had a cerebellum stroke in Aug.07 caused by blocked Carotid arteries, had one cleaned out the other has gone by its used by date :) since then have had a slight heart attack and stents put in my heart and a major artertry that supplies my right arm , in 2 weeks go back and get a by-pass in my legs as i live on 20 acres in the country i did a lot of physical work, doctors have said i will be able to do most things. I get dizzy at times have to use a cane and get headaches but i improve a little as each week goes by, do give yourself time to adjust you will find like i did that you will be able to do most things and enjoy life as i am

Best Wishes

Allan

my damage,too is in my cerebellum

golf-ball size anneurysm - 13 hr brain surgery mid cerebral arteyclamped off for repair very large area starved for blood from one of its main arteries - for brain starved of blood during surgery- hosp for sii xmonths.

5 yrs out still do not walk unaided no movement in left arm - cannot get out of bed without af o for bathroom glad to hear what is taking me months to years to improve you are doing in weeks to months

sounds like u r doing pretty well

you will keep improving

susan

Sudz,

Thank you for sharing. My hope is that you will continue to improve. Stroke is a slow journey that I have learned cannot be fast forwarded.

You are in my thoughts and prayers for contined recovery.

Stessie

Archived