Had a breakthrough, Yeehah!!

Just wanted to post to all my friends here at Strokenet, that you were right, the brain is amazing! Even yesterday, looking at my Mom I would never think she would make the tremendous leap forward she did today. From the moment I walked in her room for about three hours, she talked and responded to me like her old self. She smiled, made jokes, and we even cried a little. She even wanted to know about financial matters which I thought showed incredible awareness. I mean up until today, she was not making much sense at all, didn't seem to know I was there, or was sleeping most of the time. When I had to go, she said she was sorry she was putting me through this, I almost broke down. I don't know what happened between yesterday and today, but it was an amazing breakthrough. I was even able to feed her some ice cream. I know that with stroke it may be one step forward, two steps back, and tomorrow she might not be this aware, but for today, I am on :cloud9: ! Just want to let others in this same situation know there is always hope. Best to all of you!

Thanks so much for sharing the great news, as you said tomorrow may be different, but ????

I will keep your mom and you in my warm thoughts and prayers.. for continued recovery and happy moments..:)

Great news and thx for sharing it with us. I love to hear those things. I remember thinking during Joey's recovery that things just happened over night, but you're right, the brain is amazing and is working really hard to heal when we can't see it.

Those miracles help to keep me going til the next one. I'll continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Lorri

woohoo, that is wonderful news. the brain is truly am amazing organ. i am so happy for you both, i will keep you both in my prayers for continued improvement and recovery. thankyou for letting us know.

thank you for sharing your mom's progress with us! each day will bring new things so embrace the progress no matter how small or large the progress may be. the brain really is a mysterious thing and i'm sure more progress will follow!

Guest PERRYS

Great news, thanks for sharing.

Yes the brain is a very complex thing.

Here's wishing your mom rest, rest and more rest with a big lump of recovery thrown in there too!

:Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands: :Clap-Hands:

:forgive_me?: I AM HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR MOM GRACE,YES THE HUMAN SOUL IS REMARKABLE, THE BODY CAN REPAIR IT SELF,AND THE BRAIN,IS THE MAIN BOXES,MORE THAN LIKELY IF SHE HAVE IMPROVE MUCH SHE WIL KEEP ON KEEPING ON GOD BLESS YOU BOTH,

Thanks for your blessings, right back at ya!!

The therapists are very excited as well, because they remember my Mom from her last stroke, and how she recovered. They know she is a fighter. But I have to say, with this awareness coming back, she is also aware now that it is her second stroke and she is depressed at times, which I know is perfectly normal. She still thinks she is going to die, she gave me instructions about her funeral, and to take good care of her grandkids. It's hard to reassure her like I did the first time. I was told by the dr. the first time that second hemorrhagic strokes are not likely, because she didn't have risk factors (i.e. hypertension). What do I tell her now? She has been staying awake now for a good part of the day, and she gets really exhausted, and that's when she kind of reverts back to whining and repeating the same things over and over. I know this is going to take time. But so many good things have happened since her turn for the better, she is now eating more and her swallowing is fine. She has been able to do OT and is starting more physical therapy soon. Also, I had her read something to me today, and she read perfectly so that wasn't affected. I am very happy for that.

The nurse at our NH said that she credits my Dad and I for bringing my mother back. That made me feel really good, but I credit God as well, because my mother has many people praying for her, including you guys! Thanks again for your prayers :friends:

Hi Good news on your mom's progress. Remember in stroke, not only physical things are affected but emotional as well.

The brain has receptors and neurons to carry the brain chemicals that help control our emotions.. you can think of them as little bridges and pathways.

Well some of the bridges have broken.. so her emotions can be quite a roller coaster right now. You may discuss this with the Dr and see if an antidepressant might help. Also getiing over tired or exhausted brings out deficits, make us less able to cope. I took a lot of litttle naps.. to re charge.

Re learning is tough work.. and it is very tiring. you may want to see if she gets some quiet time.. no stimulus, ..music, TV etc, so she can just rest a bit.

Since this is the 2nd stroke you mom may be feeling more vunerable and less secure. Stoke is a frightening experience. as she progresses..and times go by, maybe she will feel more comfortable about life.

Archived