If Botox worked for you

About 1 week after my shots. I kept going to both OT and PT, didn't wait for it to take effect, especially since some of the shots didn't seem to help at all. When it worked it was wonderful to get the paired muscle to work again. My finger extensors haven't woken up yet so even though my finger flexors were botoxed I have more work to get the extensors to work.

Dean

The first time at least 2 weeks, after that when you're reinjected, it's a few days and last much longer. You don't really gain the full benefit until your tendons and muscles are stretched back.

I had several rounds of botox injections,and I have to say I'm not a big supporter of it,It takes about 2 weeks before I noticed anything,it will help loosen you up for about a month or two then it wears off and you back to where you started,the reason I no longer get botox is that it cost between $5000-6000 every 60-90 daysI suppose if it lasted 6 months or so I'd still be getting the injections.

God Bless,

tom

hi all,

I stroked in 2000 at age 39. I've had sooo much spasticity and nothing seems to work. taking baclofen(only 40 mg. a day). I've tried botox a few times and never felt any different. the last doc says my arm is so tight that it's affecting my walking...who knew! my foot and toes curl under so much that I feel like I'm walking on the side of my foot(I wear a hinged AFO). my hand is in a fist and my leg is so tight that I don't bend my knee when I walk. I just swing my hip out. don't know how to fix this but she wants to shoot me with more botox than the other doc did. she'll do it in the bottom of my foot to help the toes(ouch) and in my arm to help my balance. in these past almost 8 years I have never been able to move my arm or hand and have been told to get used to that...don't want to hear it!

so I guess I'm going for the botox again. I figure it can only help,right? anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

thanks for letting me ramble.

beth

[BOTOX NEVER REALLY HELPED RACHEL. BETH YOU MAY WANT TO READ LOUISE'S POST ON BOTOX INJECTIONS. IT'S NOT GETIING SUCH RAVE REVIEWS RIGHT NOW. IT HAS BEEN LINKED TO SOME DEATHS. BE CAREFUL.

I know that Botox works differently on everybody and we all have different side effects, some bad rather than good for others. But I will say that Botulinum Toxin has been of great sucess for myself, I hve been recieving the injections for some oh what two years or more I get five injections at the one time in my effected hand thumb and arm. They last 12 - 13 weeks and then I go back for more. When I get the injection it takes normally no more than a day for my spasms to relax my spasms are a form of dystonia and are most painfull my hand was before injetions a tight scrunched fist but once botox kicks in I can relax my fingers open slightly to hold a peice of paper flat and sign my signature with rght hand. Before injections I could not do this. I am in a sense lucky that the injections worked and continue to work for myself as it enables me to hold down my part time job and my hand to be almost pain free.

I did have slight side effects once but its just trial and error with trained physicians in the dosage and site of injection. I was refused it on my leg as would not be beneficial and my arm hand and shoulder needed it most. Feel free to message me for more info glad to answer any questions :bouncing_off_wall:

While the results and effects of botox will vary from person to person, I still feel the FDA warning should be taken seriously. The warning by the FDA indicates that botox has been linked to dangerous botulism symptoms resulting in an unspecified number of deaths. The most serious symptom of botulism is paralysis. The FDA said that the toxin can spread beyond the injection site to other parts of the body, paralyzing or weakening the muscles used for breathing and swallowing.

After being told of the warning by my neuro, I decided not to take the risk. What works for some doesn't work for all. Go to http://www.botoxlegalrights.com/ for more info.

I saw a more extensive report and it stated most of the deaths occurred in children - not that that makes it better but would indicate the usage being in the treatment of cerebral palsy. As in all things though caution needs to prevail.

well, my insurance has OK'd the Botox so I have an appointment in april. just got a new AFO and it has helped with the curling under. I'm willing to give it a "shot"(pun intended). did you notice that the website link warning about botox is for a lawyer looking for people who have had side affects...looking to sue somebody?

will let you know how it turns out.

beth

I'm not trying to sue anyone. I guess I've been around the block enough times to know that everything in life has its share of believers and non-believers. Maybe the Neurologist is trying to protect himself, but the warning and risks are still out there. I don't need another problem. Stroke changed a lot of facets in my life, but I've started to accept it. Anything worthwhile takes time, so I'll 'stick' with my weekly acupuncture.

As an attorney I know better than to fall for legal scare tactics. I'm willing to try it. Statistically, the chances of negative side effects are miniscule. I'm certainly not afraid to die - if it's my time so be it.

I guess we're all taking our chances in hopes that something will help. It looks like the FDA has never approved Botox for muscle spasticity(only for wrinkles)...at least that's what the news article said. I'm still willing to see if it helps. I've accepted life after stroke so I'll accept whatever else comes my way.

beth

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there.

I get my next round of Botox injections (the 5th series) in my arm and leg next Monday. The first time around I kind of expected a 'miracle cure' and I ended up disappointed. Then I realized that the goal was to relax certain muscles so I could exercise the opposing muscles and make them stronger. Keeping this in mind, I have been religious about doing my arm and leg exercises, especially in the weeks/months following the botox injections. I have had really good results! I think the botox helped, but it was the botox in conjunction with doing the exercises that really made the difference!!!

And as far as the dangers of botox.......for me, the chance to walk and use my right hand again was well worth the risk!

I guess it is all about individual perspective.

Best of luck to you.

Art (Detroit, MI)

I had combination of Phenol nerve block in my pec & botox in subscap, biceps, ?? & finger flexors.

Phenol work basically straight away, noticed improvement in my fingers next day - with improvements for about 2 weeks.

During this time, continued with stretches & electrical stimulation of antagonist muscles.

Still a work in progress as I only had it ~4 weeks ago - continuing with OT.

HTH

I've been getting botox injections for my left armand hand about every six months for the last five years.I'm still breathing and alive, but my hand is just as clenched as it was the days followin my stroke six years ago. Following injections, the hand is a bit looser, but

I still cannot move my fingers at will. I do e-stim on the hand twice a day, and am going back to OT to try out the Bioness device. (I still sleep with my hand in a splint, but have seen little impriovement Somehow I don't think i'll ever type 100 words a minute again. my wife just told me that my nurse at in-patient rehab said I'd never get functional use of that hand again. Of course no one bothered to tell me that for fear of increasing my depression over having had the stroke. Of course I tried Saebo for a year and had no positive results.

So I'm still hoping the botox frees up those muscles so I can at least open a door with my left hand. Time will tell.I know every stroke is different, but this has been my experience. Luckily Medicare and my insurance still pay for the botox. When I first started treatments, getting insurance to pay was a big issue. Your doctors need to know the rigtht codes to submit to insurance, or they'll think you're trying to get rid of your crows feet.

Tom holub

Just got back from my 8 Botox injections. My physiatrist uses an emg guidance system to find the exact muscle head. I saw immediate results in relaxation. And I even lifted my wrist a tiny bit! The only pain/discomfort is in my triceps which haven't been stretched out in 5 years. I think I may love this stuff. I start OT in 5 days.

Rene

Y'all left out some really important information!

Because I had the Botox injections last week, I have to start OT yesterday. Mind you, my arm has been bent with my wrist and fingers curled for 5 1/2 years.

So the therapist lies me down with a pillow and a warm blanket to sucker me in. Then he grabs my left arm and straightened it out 90 degrees from my side. I yelp.

Then he bends my wrist back in addition to the arm pull. I begin whimpering.

Then he pulls my fingers open while bending my wrist back and pulling my arm straight. I begin weeping.

THEN he tells me to "just relax into it." I told him where he could go relax!

How in the H....E... Double Hockeysticks can one be expected to relax into the pain? Bless your heart Rene - hope it gets better for you.

I've not had botox but do remember reading obout the ot involved. After what you're explaining, I'll pass on pursuing it.

i too have thought about getting the injections, but i think i will hold off for awhile longer. i don't see the risks out weighing the benefits just yet from what i have read. rene, i hope your therapy treatments go better for you. hopefully the botox will give you the results you want. i think your therapist needs therapy on protocol on inflicting pain to someone who's arm and hand has been contracted for 51/2 years. the no pain, no gain theory was taken to the extreme.

• 2 weeks later...

well,

I had my botox shots(about 8) done last week with the EMG needle. wasn't as bad as I thought. she said it should take about 2 weeks before I notice anything. I'm hopeful and feeling positive!

beth

I think some people are under the misconception that botox is going to enable them to regain use of their arm and wait for that to happen after they receive the injections. That unfortunately is not what botox does. What it does is paralyze your muscles to reduce the spasticity enough so that they may be exercised, worked with and strengthened. If you feel a reduction in tone and spasticity, it's kicked in.

• 2 weeks later...
i just found this warning about botox from www.disaboom.com which is a wonderful site dedicated to people living with a disability --- http://www.disaboom.com/Health/Articles/re...inum-toxin.aspx

Louise that is the same article we were discussing above. Everyone will decide the risks for themselves. You need a person trained in Botox to administer the injections - usually a physiatrist, not a neurologist. Serious side effects would happen almost immediately, so my physiatrist makes me wait 30 minutes before going home. He also gives me the empty boxes so I have the date & batch number of the vials in case something does happen. His assistant calls the next day to make sure there were no problems. He instructs me not to massage the arm/hand for 48 hours so the botox will not spread. A certified provider will take precautions for safety.

My OT is going great. First days of stretching were pretty rough (Donna, I was kidding about crying). But now I am in a hand splint for the first time ever with no pain. The hand gets looser every day and I am getting a lot of feedback when I try to straighten my fingers. I think I'll try 2 or 3 more rounds to see if I can actually get any functional use.

Archived