If Botox worked for you

well I'm happy to report that the Botox worked. I noticed right between the first and second week after the injections.

I'll definitely be back for more!

Beth

Great news Beth!

My last series of shots is just about worn off. I've been waiting for my insurance to approve the next. I can't imagine life without it. I just received approval on Friday for the next 4 series of shots. I'm happy for you. I know what a big difference it makes.

Maria :friends:

I have not read all the comments on this topic but I think I am in the zone of wanting to try botox at this point. My question is....If you are on medicare and other insurance like tricare for life, will it be paid for through them???

Fred,

When I was still covered by my own insurance at work I had BCBS and they gave me a run for my money, since I've gotten married I'm now covered by my husband's insurance which is Aetna and they approve it with no problem.

It's Godsend Fred, go for it!

Thanks for the info you all, I will get a referral from my PCP to see my neurologist who should be able to give the botox.

This will be my third time receiving Botox. I could feel the Botox working in about a week. I kept going to my OT and I didn't miss a step. In fact! I'll be receiving Botox this coming up Thursday in my wirst, extensor and flexor muscle. I have a lot of tone in my wrist (the wrist from hell). I can close my fingers but I have trouble with my fingers opening. I have full range of motion with my arm and couldn't move my arm at all. I know there is different side effects for the Botox but it works for me. I have to be honest, I don't have a lot of pain with wrist and finger but it takes a lot of hard work on your part with exercise and muscle stretching. I have to stretch my wrist and fingers all the time. I get tired of this all :crying: but I have to do it. I'm a 2 years stroke (AVM) survival. Trinaye

• 2 months later...

Just got back from my second round of Botox. It was pretty easy this time. I still have no real functional movement, but I did not realize how much pain I was having from the spasticity. My only complaint is that my bicep is so relaxed, when I walk it swings, then bangs my hand right into my crotch (just a bit embarrassing!) I still think I'll try at least one more round before making a final decision as to whether to continue. At $15 per injection appointment, it's hard to turn down!

Rene

Rene,

At $15 you're getting the deal of the decade! Each time i go it's$5,000. In addition to my other zillion posts on this thread...you're not going to get any functional movement from it sorry :( only work will give you that. It will as you see enable you to have the flexibility and relief from pain to work with it. The more it stays loose the more you're inclined to use it and the stronger it gets too. Also think about where you want it to be when you walk, it helps to reestablish the connections.

Good luck.

I go in again tomorrow for my second round. insurance is paying SOME but it's still expensive :( . right now I'm back at that stage where my hand is in a fist and my elbow tightens up when I walk. I can tighten my fist but never open it without force...what a pain. I'm always trying to open it and range it with little success. maybe this round will give me more relief.

good luck to all who try it!

Beth

• 5 weeks later...

Beth,

Regarding your curled toes, See if you can't see an orthotist who can either build you a new AFO with toe crests and a metatarsal bump of rehab your old one. If that is not possible you can buy these on the internet and they are almost as good. When I finally got mine done I could walk fairly normally.

Dean

Beth,

Pull your hand open and keep it that way as much as you can. Do weight bearing by putting your hand down on a flat surface or wall and leaning your body weight into it. I would sit on my hand with it open to keep it from closing. If you have a splint sleep with it on. All these things are a pain literally and figuratively, but will stretch the muscles and enable you to open your hand more easily again.

My hand was incredibly tight, so much so that I could barely open it with my other hand and needed my husband's help. i can open and close my hand now at will. It doesn't really end there though. I do notice if I don't keep up with keeping it loose it will tighten up a little. Fortunately though once you can open it up, you'll open and close it repeatedly and flexing it will help too.

Good luck!

thanks so much for the replies. this time around the Botox seems to have helped more :cheer: . the toes aren't so bad(no pain) and I can force my hand open with my "good' hand and i work on it all the time. the splint is also getting easier to put on. once again...thanks!!!

Beth,

:Clap-Hands: Happy to hear it :bouncing_off_wall: Keep up the great work and before you know it you won't even be using the splint and your hand will stay open all the time. :cheer:

Archived