RACHEL IS BACK IN THERAPY

lisas

AFTER 8 MONTHS OF A BREAK FROM THERAPY, RACHEL HAS RETURNED TO PHYSICAL AND OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY. SHE NEEDED IT!!! HER RIGHT ARM AND LEG WERE BEGINNING TO GET VERY STIFF. WE TOOK A BREAK BECAUSE THE THERAPY DEPARTMENT SAID RACHEL REACHED A PLATEAU AND NEEDED A BREAK. RACHEL IS GOING 2 DAYS A WEEK AND IS EXCITED ABOUT IT. WE SURE HOPE IT HELPS. STILL NO MOVEMENT OUT OF THE RIGHT ARM OR RIGHT FOOT. WE WANTED TO TRY THE BIONESS THERAPY, BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE SOME MOVEMENT. I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

lisa, that is good news. i'm hopeful that rachel will gain movement from her therapy sessions. NEVER GIVE UP HOPE. i have always felt you can never get enough therapy after a stroke. i will keep rachel in my prayers for continued improvement. keep us updated with her progress.

my arm was the last thing to come back and is still very weak, is also still numb on the outside so have to be able to see to use, none of the fine control yet either, lot's of stiffness and spasms, but not giving up, come warmer weather will be workig it again now wih the cold i just end up with spasms and no improvement i found moving the opppsite side and then manipulating left side finally helped to do movement, just finger twitches at first , but now i can sometimes hold things on that side. if i anchor it by touching a pllace i can feel ie stomack or chest i don't have to concentrate as hard to keep from dropping here's to rachel's hard work :cocktail: :dribble: :hug:

lisa,

it's always great news to be able to get more therapy! i'm still waiting for my ins. company to approve the request for additional therapy from my doc.

i wish rachel all the best with her therapy!

Hello Lisas ,

I just want to wish you and Rachel only the very best and to let you know that you both are in my thoughts . Any and all therapy will have it's rewards .

I am hopeful the additional therapy will prove beneficial. I'm in my second round and do have results. Please never give up. Keep us posted.

Stessie

Awesome news Lisa! I have also been reading alot about the Nintendo Wii for therapy for stroke survivors. One guy said it really helped him get the movement and feeling back into his arm/hand, he said he played the boxing, tennis and basketball games. (which I believe are part of the 5 games that come with the purchase of the console) Many hospitals are using it now...they call it Wii-habilitation and many therapists say it is challenging to the patient, fun and breaks up the rigors from tradtional therapy. I wanted to get one when they first came out on the news it was being implemented for stroke therapy last year but you could never find one on the shelves at the stores because they were a hot item. But now that Christmas is over it should be easier to find although, my sister, who works for Wal Mart Corp. says they still fly off the shelf fast and they are hard to keep in stock but the good news is they are down in price to around $250.00 oppose to the much higher price they were at before Christmas. I am sending the husband out to get one at WalMart or Target this weekend and hope he finds one but my daughter says SunCoast Video also seems to have them in stock. After my doctor and therapists said if I can get one for home it would help, I am all for it and hope I can snag one. You might consider getting one for Rachael...Oh, another thing, they said it is also good exercise for endurance for stroke survivors..I'm sold! All the best for you and Rachael. :lol:

THANKS TO ALL. YES, I THINK WE ARE GOING TO PURCHASE THE WII SYSTEM. I'VE ALSO HEARD GOOD PROGRESS REPORTS ON IT.

I am curious. What is this new method? I can't walk because I have no sense

of balance, but I am able to walk with a pyramid cane, the bottom of which has

4 legs, but much wider than the ordinary 4 legs. I also have "drop foot" also.

But i feel that if I could keep my balance, and if the other problem was elim-

inated, that I possibly walk without holding on to something or somebody. I

had my stroke on 6/05/05.

Lee

Lee,

Hospitals and Rehab are now using the Wii as part of therapy. It's called Wii-habilitation, just type in Nintendo Wii for stroke therapy in your search and some articles will come up. There's also a thread called Wii Therapy in this forum and Lady K posted a link to an article I had read a month ago from the Walter Reed Military Hospital (I think that was the hospital) where stroke survivors were using it and got great results. One guy said the boxing, tennis games helped with getting the feeling/movement back in his hand and arm and golf helped with his balance issues. There are 5 games that come with the purchase which these mentioned games are part of I was told. Other hospitals had reports too as well. The game i still hard to find..My daughter went on a hunt yesterday morning just after the stores opened and they were all out. She went to Target, Walmart, Best Buy and Costco, even Game stores find it hard to keep on shelves..it's a hot item. My sister who works for Walmart Corp. is going to try and snag me one Friday but it is customer sales before employee discount sale..hopefully she can get one. But my sister said, as well as member Fred King wo also works for Walmart that you can go on Walmart.com and purchase it and it will be sent to your Walmart at no shipping costs and you can pick it up there. I think she said it is called a "Site to Sale" or "Sale to Site" shopping. I am one of those people still wary of putting my credit card info on the net so I will keep my fingers crossed that my sister can snag one otherwise it will be a on going hunt. And none of these stores would let me put a reserve deposit on one..It's first come, first served...bummer! Read up on the Wii for therapy because it is also fun and challenging and builds endurance...good exercise...so the reports say for us stroke survivors.

Archived