Brief Story

Sharon,

Welcome to the site. My thoughts and prayers will be with your Mom for her continued recovery. She's making great progress. Just remember, Don't EVER Give Up!! Recovery will slow down but never ends completely. Blessings to you both.

hi sharon, sorry to hear about your mom. but she sounds like she is improving and that is good news. give it some more time. its not been very long since her stroke, it takes at least 6months for the brain to heal. therapy is the best thing for her right now.

welcome to our cyber home, i'm glad you found us. we have alot of information here and friendly and caring people to help you along the way. feel free to browse around the site, post questions, start a blog about your mom's recovery journey. or join in one of our chats to have some fun and meet others who are in the same situation as you are . we are here to help anyway we can. we all have been affected by stroke. i hope your mom continues to improve in her therapy. she is a survivor now. good luck to you both. i send (((hugs))) your way.

:welcome: SHARON,

JUST READ ABOUT YOUR MOM. IT SOUNDS LIKE SHE IS MOVING RIGHT ALONG WILTH RECOVERY. EVERYONE RECOVERS AT A DIFFERENT PACE. MY DAUGHTER HAD A MASSIVE STROKE 2 YEARS AGO. SHE IS STILL RECOVERING ALL THE TIME. PATIENCE IS EVERYTHING.

I KEPT A JOURNAL, WRITING DOWN DOCTORS NAMES, NURSES, THERAPISTS, AS WELL AS CONTACT NUMBERS, MEDICATIONS, ETC... IT REALLY HELPED WHEN I NEEDED TO REFER BACK TO SOMETHING.

THERE IS LOTS OF INFORMATION HERE, AND GOOD PEOPLE. :friends:

Hi Sharon and welcome,

I had almost 5 months in hospital and rehab and still came home in a wheel chair. I couldn't use a walker but now use a scooter for distances. She will improve as time passes. I got 4 years in now still not walking great.

Hi Sharon and Welcome. I am also sorry to hear of your mom's stroke. Recovery is slow, takes several tons of patience and loads of repetation, but the brain does re learn. It will take awhile for the clot to dissolve. Walking with a walker is great.

The are quite a few topics on the message board under Language disorders on aphasia you may be interested in reading as well

sharon,

welcome to the site. the best thing you can do for your mother is to step right in and actively be her sole advocate. i'm sure you've done that from the beginning. it is crucial that you form an open and honest relationship with her doctors and therapists so that you understand what to expect from her recovery. recovery is a slow, arduous process but take everything a day at a time. if you can reach out to other caregivers when you have questions and concerns, it will help a lot. every stroke is different and each person's situation is different. be sure to take care of your health and needs too. good luck and all the best as your mother recovers.

Hello Sharon,

I am so glad you found this site. The people here have given me so much encouragement and helpful information. My mom had a left side stroke a year ago. I am her full time caregiver at home. She is bedridden due to other medical problems. She has severe aphasia so I can completely relate to many of the feelings and fears that you are experiencing. One thing that I have learned is that, as others have mentioned, progress is very slow at times. With my mom we have small periodic setbacks and have to regain the ground that she lost, but we celebrate each new accomplishment. Even if it is just one new word!

It sounds like your mom is making great progress! Because she can't communicate very well yet, it will be difficult for you to know what she is thinking or capable of doing. I do a lot of "trying new things" with my mom, because as her brain heals her abilities will gradually return. Sometimes, I am amazed as I stumble upon new things that she can do. One day (about one month after her stroke), we were looking at a magazine together and all of a sudden she said "Jefferson". I was shocked to see that there was an article about Thomas Jefferson. She couldn't hardly speak any words at all yet out of the blue she recognized that one word in the magazine! So, I decided to write simple words on 3x5 cards to see if she could read them. To my surprise she could sight read single words even though she couldn't verbalize any thoughts of her own. I keep adding new words, names of family and friends and numbers to the stack of cards and I also use a small dry erase board to write on. She likes this activity and I know it is helping stimulate her brain and aid in the healing. Also, I was amazed to discover that she can pick out simple melodies on a piano keyboard with one hand. Keep trying new things and don't ever give up. Your love and support of her is the greatest gift you can give her right now.

My mom is 80 and has a lot of other medical problems so most likely your mom will make better progress than mine. Please keep us posted on how she is doing and if you want to PM me please feel free to do so. From one daughter of a mother with aphasia to another...I completely understand what you are going through! Sending you a huge {{{HUG}}}.

Thank you so much for letting me joined this site and for all of your kind words, My mom is doing well she has a release date to come home on 3-18-08 she no longer on the peg tube gets semi solids foods now, she can now put full sentences together, can say simple words a lot better,

Archived