Dizzy and light-headed...

I had my stroke last Jan and have thankfully recovered miraculously. I work, drive, and now I can see and move much better lately.

Oddly enough, about every four weeks or so, I get sort of dizzy and lightheaded. It lasts off and on for a day or so and goes away.

I had various MRI scans and they say all looks normal (post stroke anyway) and I shouldn't worry.

Is this typical? I feel like a punk for even bringing it up since I am so lucky, but it does worry me that something could be amiss.

Thanks for any feedback

hi jet,

the dizziness could be caused by the type of activity and/or stress you have in your life. either physical or mental activity will have an effect. could be many other different things, but it may be helpful to keep a diary and log down what and when the dizziness occurs. at least you'll have something that can measure the amount of 'work' on your brain and body. from one punk to another---be safe and consult your doctor!

I had just made a comment to another of your post about a concert. If you have this problem often dancing would be out of the question in my mind. See your doctor and go with his or her advise.

jet, i agree with the others, dizziness is caused my something, could be your meds maybe. i would'nt be dancing myself. have a great time at the concert. just be careful.

Rob, you need to slow down on the head banging when rocking out to rock music...LOL! :Jammin: :Jammin: :Jammin:

Okay but seriously, do what Louise suggest and take notes on when it occurs...then consult your doctor on it...for ease of mind. Glad your scans show normal and as Kimmie said it could be meds. :Jammin: :Jammin: :Jammin:

Rob, your stroke sounds so like the first stroke Ray had. He too went back to driving, back to work etc. But although he had been a dancing instructor in his youth and we had danced together all our time together, he could no longer dance. And like you he had intermittent periods of dizziness. The neurologist explained that this is caused by the location of the stroke damage. His balance centre was slightly affected. And so he was more liable to feelings of dizziness if he got up suddenly, turned around suddenly etc. A slight fright, like sometimes seeing his reflection in a shop window also had the effect of making him feel dizzy!

When he had the 1999 strokes, the two major ones, the balance centre was severely affected. For this reason all his walking from then on was a controlled fall, one step after another. He has had a lot of physio to keep him upright and stop him falling. He now uses a quad stick for walking and a wheelchair, usually with me pushing it, is used for any distance or in crowded places, over uneven ground etc. He often falls sideways into walls or doorways (balance issues again) and so has extensive bruising down his left arm leading to frequent bleeding etc. He has now had five strokes, some TIAs and a seizure. This is as far as we know. He may also be having TIAs in his sleep.

I am not trying to frighten you here, just saying you should be aware of your conditions, find out all the information you can on what has happened to you and what is likely to happen down the track. Take nothing for granted. Despite all of this also live life to the full.

Sue.

This is interesting to me. I too get dizzy from time to time.. it really doesn't seem to happen for any reason that I have noticed. I have kept track of my dizzy spells and it isn't caused from one thing or another. I did have the drs test me for the spells.. and all came up without any reasons for them. So.. I have decided this is just how it is. Oh well..

But I agree with the others.. keep track of them and have your dr test your balances.

Hang in there and congrats on your recovery :)

*hugs*

Billie Jo

I have had a few dizzy spells as well as a fainting spell since my stroke 11 yrs ago. I used to faint occasionally as a teenager but it was never explained.

My GP tells me that all a faint is blood having difficulty to reach the brain. It could be due to standing up quickly after a large meal when blood is pooling in the abdomen and with a quick change of posture the brain is left high and dry without any blood so we faint or get dizzy. With this in mind it may be helpful to journal the occurances so that you can determine why your dizziness occurs . Dizziness is a scary thing for stroke survivors because the feeling of loss of control brings back the feeling of what happened when the stroke occurred. Always bring these events to the attention of your doctor.

take care,

Pat

Dear jetjaguar72; I read about your dizziness with interest. About a month after my stroke I was having dizziness which scared me, I thought I was going to have another stroke! But. my physical therapist suggested that I try drinking more water. It worked! Good luck! SaraD

Guest lwisman

Water is often a miraculous solution. It is always the first thing I try when I have a headache or wake-up feeling groggy. Works about 90% of the time.

Hey there dizzyness is not normal. For me when it started I found out that I have vasor depressor syncopes. They do a lovely test called a tilt table test. I went on the meds and I have not been as bad. Good luck

Kelly

• 3 weeks later...

HI..I haven't been on the board for a few months, but I happened to have time today and wanted ot get back on because I don't feel alone then!

I wanted to respond to your note because I too frequently get dizzy and light-headed since my stroke Nov.17,2007. We (my husband frequently goes to all my dr. appts. with me) mention it to all the drs.-the cardiologists, rheumatologist, neurologists, FP dr., etc and we feel the general response has been"your brain is injured and it takes time to heal". I did notice on my Verapramil info sheets when I took the time to read it again for the 3rd time ,it does say can cause dizziness and light headedness. If you are able to relate it to your pills, that is great. I am also on Warfarin (if I can ward off another stroke, that is great , as the FDA wants me to have another stroke on the Warfarin before I have the multiple PFO's patched) and I really haven't felt the same since I was put on it in Dec. 2007. How does a person know if it is brain healing or on meds? I dont' feel comfortable going off to find out. I have tried to deal with it reasonably...bend at knees instead of bending over at my waist, don't stay in the hottub longer than 10 minutes,and LISTEN to my body. I was trying to catch up on alot of posts,and it is really a light going off in your body when you have a stroke. I am SO aware of everything little thing that goes on in my body, my head, every little ache, pain(especially in my head), everything I say,because I(and my husband and 9 y.o. daughter) notice I say bizarre(I would like to think of it as inaccurate) words every now and then and catch myself.

We mention it to the doctors, and hope they are listening and documenting. At least we have shared it. I would encourage to continue to share it. We have felt more recently that our concerns are not taken as seriously now, 5 months after the stroke, and I feel I am left 'hanging'. Of course, the "hospitalists" thought I was crazy when they insisted I stay in the hospital for almost 3 nites after the stroke also, so as a nurse and stay-at-home Mom now, I am left wondering what has happened to Health Care and treating the patient?!

Good Luck!

Sheila

47 y.o. stroke survivor, Nov.17, 2007

• 3 weeks later...

my 2 cents - had cerebellum bleed, clot removed, 2 brain surgeries in 2005

today - balance bad but improving.... sloooooooooooooowly (or so it seems)

lots of water=balance is better (i've noticed)

stressed, tiredness or smoking makes it worse

Archived