FROM HOSP. TO REHAB CTR

Guest Robin Adams

Guest Robin Adams

Today my father was transferred from the hospital to the rehab center. He had a stroke about 2 wks ago.

He has some slurred speech and balance issues. We noticed that when we met him at the rehab center he was

a little more drowsy/sleepy than he had been. He didn't seem confused but just kind of out of it. He only answered

the questions we asked him and didn't do too much talking. For the past few days he was talking quite a bit and

watching TV. Today he didn't want to talk or watch TV...

He had to be transported by ambulance from the hospital about 50 miles to our hometown.

I was wondering if the maybe the hospital gave him something to relax him for the trip or

if the trip would tire him out like that??? Couldn't find out if he had any meds...

We go so nervous that he's having another stroke.... but the nurses said everything was fine...and that it happens sometimes on the patients first day in rehab.. anyone else have this experience?

Robin

Thank you for the update on your Dad.

For me, I had spent 4 days in the hospital then was transferred to the rehab. I was totally worn out and didn't even do anything other than lie on my back. Change in surroundings at this stage very often causes that "lost" feeling.

It takes up to 6 months for the swelling in the brain to begin reducing. Keep doing what you are, ensuring he is getting quality care. They should be starting his rehab as soon as possible as that is critical. Recovery will be full of ups and downs; patience and repitition are key.

thoughts, prayers, and well wishes to him as he embarks on this next stage of the recovery journey.

As Donna said the brain is healing, it takes 6 months for the swelling to go down and he just had his stroke. This is all new and strange to him but starting therapy right away is a big factor and crucial to recovery. He will definately not feel like doing any exercises so soon and may not understand why he needs to do this so soon after his stroke but it is so important for the body and brain. They started my therapy on the third day after my stroke and I definately didn't understand why they were making me do all this stuff because I definately didn't feel up to it.

Stroke jacks up the chemical pathways leading to the brain that control emotion so depression, roller coaster emotions and lack of interest are very common with stroke. Just keep an eye on him and consult any concerns with his doctor for there is a chance he may have to be put on anti-depressants. Keep encouraging him and keep doing what you are doing. By the way, WELCOME :welcome: to Strokenet. I wish the best for you and your Father.

robin, i can't add much, the other ladies have stated the truth. just be there for your dad. encouragement is very important and celebrating any improvement no matter how small. moving him can cause some confusion until he gets familiar with his new surroundings and staff. i hope all goes well with his rehab. talk to his therapists so you understand what they are doing to help your dad. god bless you all

Guest Robin Adams

Thanks everyone... these comments are very helpful..... I really appreciate the support..

Without this forum to ask questions, I would be lost.

Robin

I am so proud of you taking an active role in your fathers recovery !!!! Ask his physicians questions.....The only dumb question if the one not asked.....His physician could recommend a "calmer" if needed....I know I appreciated when someone asked me about my meds and why I should take them. That enabled me to take a decision based inquiry for myself. I did not win on Heparin or coumadin..Hahahah...But I know why...

I did not mind the ride to rehab...It felt good to "be out" and it was not being "discarded".....It seemed every 15 minutes I would need a nap, and I could not help it..I would fight it and still would sleep.....I loved TV because everything but the tv picture seemed to be out of balance, so TV kept me riveted in the world...Maybe its the same for him?

In any case, I am glad you inquire...There is a lot to learn and know....

robin,

although my stroke was over a year ago, i continue to have a variety of concerns and questions. some are answered by my doctor; some from this site. at this point, maybe you should think about participating in a support group if the rehab hospital offers one. survivors and caregivers as well as medical professionals attend these meetings and usually offer valuable information. there is also the book store here with a list of titles dealing with stroke.

Robin,

My husband of 67 had a stroke on the 18th of February 2008. Within 1 and 1/2 weeks he was in rehab. It darn near tuckered him out. I brought him home within two weeks of going into rehab, and he literally slept for 4 days. Now I can't stop him. He wants to go constantly. It'll be real fun this summer when the days are nice. He's going to want to be outside alot. When he was in rehab, he wanted nothing to do with TV. Now he watches almost anything. Favorites are MASH and Magnum PI. I see improvement everyday and cheer when something new happens. For example he now goes to the bathroom without my assistance 50% of the time. He starts speech therapy again on Wednesday, and the doctor has written a script for evaluation for possible outpaitient physical and occupational therapy. We just need to get him totally off dilantin and I think even more progress will appear. Take good care of Dad.

Susan

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new here too - my husband had a stroke on 4/22, so it's pretty fresh.

He was taken to the ER, then transferred to Kaiser later that night. He stayed at Kaiser for 3 days, then was transferred to an actue care facility on a Saturday. The cost of the transportation is not covered by insurance, so they told us we could drive him ourselves or hire someone. Thank goodness we hired someone- Larry is a big guy, and it also happened to be the hottest day of the year. $125 well spent!

They did the transfer on a Saturday and got him there about 2PM. He was definitely very tired, and slept a lot once he finally got settled into a room. I think that just the change of surroundings is traumatic; just when he had started to get used to where he was, it all changed again. Imagine what it must be like to suddenly have your brain not working right, and then get moved to a place you've never seen before. I think it must be very natural to be confused and tired.

Major therapy - the real stuff - only happens Monday-Friday where Larry is. There's a whole different crew there on weekends and things are a lot more laid back. Larry had Sat and Sun to rest and just get minimal therapy, so he was ready for it when Monday came. This is only Wednesday, and I would say that he's made huge improvements in that short time.

I think that sleep is very necessary in the healing process, and that your dad will sleep when he's overwhelmed. I know that's what Larry's doing. Every time he wakes up he seems a little better, even if it's just a small thing, so I know this must be good!

-Janine

Guest Robin Adams

Definitely Janine... moving wears them out. My step day moved to rehab after 2wks hosp... and it took him a few days to find his flow... He came home after 4 wks inpatient rehab.. That was last Friday. Since he came home.. it's like he's found some new found energy.. walking on the walker, going to the bathroom using the walker. He scares me he's doing so much.. but I guess it's good for him. We just try to watch and make sure we don't have any falls.

Glad your husband is in therapy.. you will be amazed at the change over the next few weeks.

Get some rest if you can.... we have to be in it for the long hall!!

Robin

robin, great news to hear that your stepdad is home now. being in familiar surroundings, does a survivor a world of good. they are back in their comfort zone. i hope he continues to improve at home. its good he is up and walking so much. that will build his confidence up, just be sure to pick up any throw rugs in the house so he doesn't trip over them. its great he is doing so well. keep us updated on his progress please

Robin,

I'd say it's normal and don't worry the rehab people will see to it that he gets all the help needed for his recovery, Your family is great for being there for him, that means so much when a stroke occurs in the family.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Robin Adams

Hello All... here's an update on my stepdad... and his moving home.

Whenhe came home.. .it was like his whole attitude got even better. He's moving around the house with the walker on his own. He goes to the bathroom, and even takes his own bath. They have a bench and rails in the bath. My mother of course has a heart attack every time because she's worried he's trying to do too much.. but he's really pushing himself. He likes to go out and asks to go on his errands and out almost every day.

He is still having therapy (OT,PT, speech) at home but I'm thinking that pretty soon that will turn to outpatient. I was actually hoping that if he got stronger, he could go back to inpatient again.... has anyone every heard of that before... The one place that turned him down has a really good program. I think they turned him down because he wasn't strong enough. I'm hoping with the home therapy he will get strong enough to go back for more..

Anyone have any thoughts on that idea?

Robin

Robin,

Thank you for the update on your Dad - fantastic news.

You'd have to check with his insurance to see if he would be covered to go back into in-patient rehab at this point. Insurance is strict on what they cover and inpatient would probably need to be classified as vital/crucial for his continued recovery. What does his doctor say about this?

If he is progressing well in the in-home therapy, he may also excel in out-patient.

Another consideration, you don't want to emotionally set him back by doing in-patient as he appears contented at home. Plus he has indepedence he would not have in a facility.

His doctor can probably get the insurance company to cover out-patient therapy for so many sessions.

hi robin,

great news about yourstepdad's progress! i hope he does qualify for more therapy. every health insurance has different guidelines concerning therapy. most times, a doctor must request more therapy and must provide detailed info as to why the request is being made. i hope things work out and your stepdad continues to make great strides!

Robin, that is such great news! It really gives me hope when I hear about others that are doing well. My husband is still in an SNF, with the goal of going back to acute rehab when he's strong enough. I don't know if/when that will happen, but every day brings some progress, and that's all we can ask! I'm so glad to hear your good news.

-Janine

Robin,

My husband was not ready for in-patient therapy when he was first there so came home for a few weeks and did therapy there. Later I was able to put him back into inpatient therapy with the doctor's recomendation. Medicare only covers so many days so we got hit in the end with some high bills because we went over our limit so keep an eye on your coverage. My husband actually benefitted more from outpatient therapy about a year out from the stroke than the in-patient therapy. Just goes to show how different each person responds.

Ruth

Archived