need help with pain meds

Trudy

my husband is having pain much worse all the time. He is very sensitive to medications and has had trouble with pain meds giving him hallucinations. Does anyone else have this problem and have you found anything that will work? He is taking tylenol and advil all the time and I know that after a period of time this isn't good. thanks. Trudy

hi trudy,

the best person to address your concern would be your husband's physician(s). a qualified medical professional can work with your husband and decide what course of pain management will work. it may be helpful to keep a log of when your husband is in pain, the location of pain, and the intensity of the pain; e.g. pain scale of 1-10. you should also describe the hallucinations. hope your husband feels better soon!

trudy, he might be experiencing CPS (central pain syndrome) alot of survivors get this from the type of stroke they had, i agree with louise. his doctor should be able to help him with this. i too hope he feels better soon. good luck.

TRUDY I AGREE WITH THE REST I ALSO HAD PROBLEM WITH, MY MED WHEN I FIRST HAD MY STROKE,FOR ABOUT A YEAR,IT DEPEND ON HOW LONG HIS STROKE HAS BEEN,WERE DID THE STROKE HIT,IT COULD BE AND THE PART OR THE BRAIN THAT CONTROL,HIS SENCERTIVITY,AND IT TAKE,AWHILE FOR HIM TO GET USE TO THE MED GOOD LUCK.

Hi,

I had hallucinations on baclofen and neurotin didn't help me much either. Right now they have me on lyrica for burning nerves; robaxin for muscle spasms and naproxen for all over pain. As everyone else says, his doc should know what to try. Good luck.

Well one reply vanished so try it again. Thank you everyone who replied. We are doing better this week. Last week was terrible. I purchased a Rebuilder to try. you have so many days with this. The doctor put him back on Lyrica and 100 mg is working without bad dreams so far. We go to a gal who does deep tissue work three times a week. She is a licensed Chiropractor so insurance picks up most of cost which is nice for a change!! Most of the alternative stuff we do isn't paid by insurance. She thinks although we have just used the Rebuilder since last Friday that it is helping loosen up his muscles. it has been four years since stroke and then broke his hip last June and that pain certainly hasn't helped! So wish us luck and maybe we have found something that will work. Trudy

• 1 month later...

Hello Trudy,

I had a Parietal Lobe stroke Oct. 6, 06 that left me with right side Central Pain Syndrome, CPS. I take 3,600mg of Gabapentin, (Neurontin) every day. It does help my pain so that I can function and I don't seem to have any bad side effects, except for sleeping a lot.

I also take 60 mg of Cymbalta for pain. It helps a lot with my stabbing pain.

I take 10 mg of Zanaflex a day for my painful muscle spasms. I did take Baclofen, but it did nothing. For me Zanaflex is a good muscle med. Maybe Zanaflex can help your husbands hip to loosen up. I might also try the Cymbalta. It helps with nerve pain.

I had to look for a good Neuro Doc. I finally found one. I think maybe you need to start a search of your own. Find a Neuro that knows what nerve pain is, and the drugs to treat it. My first neuro knew what I had, but not how to treat it. I suffered terribly. My wife finally convinced me that I owe the Doc nothing, so don

my husband is having pain much worse all the time. He is very sensitive to medications and has had trouble with pain meds giving him hallucinations. Does anyone else have this problem and have you found anything that will work? He is taking tylenol and advil all the time and I know that after a period of time this isn't good. thanks. Trudy

Hi and Welcome to Strokenet,

First of all my doctor told me to stay away from Advil, seems the ibuprofen could interact with what else I'm taking, and I can do without that.I take tylonol only when I need it, seems it's fine with most of my other meds. I suggest he see his doctor about the pain ASAP, perhaps he just needs his meds looked at. Here's a link that explains some of the problems taking Advil with other meds http://www.usgyms.net/ibuprophen.htm and here http://www.drugs.com/ibuprofen.html

Some of the things in the above info are alittle scary, but better to be informed than not.

Guest lwisman

Any medicine with ibuprofen in it is a blood thinner. Most doctors will nix if you have had a bleed. If you had a clot and take any other medicine, which is a blood thiner, you need to check with your doctor.

SOMETHING ONE NEEDS TO REMEMBER IS THAT JUST ABOUT ALL A NEUROLYGIST DOES IS WRITE SCRIPTS AND IF YOUR NOT CAREFUL HE'LL GIVE YOU ANYTHING YOU ASK FOR. REMEMBER ALWAYS PAIN IS NOT FATAL...BUT PAIN MEDICATIONS CAN BE. I STOPPED TAKING PAIN MEDS ONE YEAR INTO MY RECOVERY. I'M NO LONGER IN A CHAIR ,I NO LONGER USE A CAIN, I NO LONGER SLUR MY SPEECH, SIGHT IN MY LEFT EYE HAS RETURNED. I REPAIR COMPUTERS EVERY DAY..... I ALSO HURT EVERY DAY....PAIN-FREE RECOVERY IS A MYTH...IF YOUR NOT IN PAIN,YOUR INJURY HAS WON....GIVE UP HAVE ADRINK AND A SMOKE...THIS IS A FAMILY TRADITION FOR ME . IVE WATCHED PAIN-FREE RIGHT TILL HE DIED ON MY SOFA (MY FATHER) OF THE

2ND STROKE... ITS A BAD TRADE...ILL TAKE PAIN AND A REWARDING LIFE ANY TIME. THE ALTERNATIVE IS REAL AND AVOIDABLE

Archived