social security disability

My husband applied for disability last fall.

He has met with their dr's and we've been through the "process". I called our case worker at disability yesterday to find out the status of our claim. He told us that medically he has been accepted and is being allowed benefits. GREAT NEWS. Now he said we just have to wait for the "technical side" ... I asked what this technical side was but he said he didn't really know and couldn't explain it, and didn't want to give me misinformation (which i appreciatge) all he knew was something about husbands wages from previous years. He suggested I call the technical side. Sooooo, I did lol.

All that they would tell me is that they could not talk about it over the phone and would not explain anything to me, the lady stated there should be a letter on its way to us via mail, and that if he have not received it by a certain date to call her back and they would be able to talk about it then!!

Does anyone know what this "technical side" is????

thank you,

Anne

Anne,

Your guess is as good as the rest. Sounds like "passing the buck" to me. The good news is you have been approved. :Clap-Hands:

Vi

They must look at his past tax returns & proof of income to determine the amount of the benefits. Don't worry you will receive payment back dated to the day he became disabled.

AMIE THAT IS VERY GOOD NEWS FOR YOU AND YOUR HUSBANE,I NO THAT NOT SO GOOD NEWS IS THE WAITING,I HOPE THAT YOU FINANCES,ARE AND GOOD SHAPE,WHEN YOU DO GET THE FIRST CHECK,IT WILL BE A NICE ONE ALONE WITH,BACK PAY GOOD LUCK.

amie,

the most important thing is your husband's claim has been approved. the wheels at social security move very slowly. the 'technical side' means more waiting while your husband's info is verified to finalize his claim.

here's an interesting article -- http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n2.463496c.html

good article louise. thx for posting it. again the insurances companies are the ones that win out. anne as others said its good news that he was approved. hang in there, hopefully your information will come in the mail soon for you. the hard part is now done. the check once received will be a nice one.

thank you all for your replies....

i am excited, but yet nervous until we actually get confirmation in balck and white in the mail. Hurry up and wait some more, lol.

Please know, your husband will NOT receive benefits starting on the date of his disability. I thought my husband would and couldn't understand why he didn't receive compensation from that date. I looked online and the following is the quote I found:

Question

Why is there a five-month waiting period for Social Security disability benefits?

Answer

The five month waiting period ensures that during the early months of disability, we do not pay benefits to persons who do not have long-term disabilities. Social Security disability benefits can be paid only after you have been disabled continuously throughout a period of five full calendar months. Therefore, Social Security disability benefits will be paid beginning with the sixth full month after the date your disability began. You are not entitled to benefits for any month in the waiting period.

The website from which I gleaned this information is: http://www.socialsecurity.gov.

Hi,

Ann is right. They pay out starting the sixth full month of disability. Generally they start paying a monthly benefit if you have been waiting more than 6 months, and then send the additional back benefits, if any have accrued, at a later date. They have to calculate all the parameters and tend to be a bit slow with the process. I imagine they have more work than they could ever handle at any one time, but that doesn't mean you cannot be impatient. I always call my case worker if I have any questions. I can be a pest with her, so she knows that I'll keep bugging her if I don't get a response. :big_grin:

Bob

as the others have said there is a 6 month waiting period,I was on disability for a couple years,but after successfully being able to return to work,I gave the disability up,and let me tell you giving it up is just as hard as getting it in the first place,After many phone calls and 2 trips to my local office they finally quyit paying me,but after being technically off ssdi for about 6 months,for some stupid reason out of the blue they decided to deposit another $7700 in my account and strarted paying my $1500 a month again,so 5 more calls by me and 2 more trips to my local office,and writing them a$9500 check to repay what I was not owed,finally they have quit depositing the $1500 per month,where I'm going with this is I'm just trying to say keep very detailed records of everything they tell you and every penney they give you,the social security administration is full of incompetetent people whom screw up just about everything they do.

God Bless,

Tom

tom,

i agree with everything you said! i've dealt with ssa enough to know that it is the worst and the most inept gov't agency to deal with!

thank you for all your replies it helps alot.

Dave's case worker has been a sweetheart it seems like he has bent over backwards to help and espically to explain things are we went along. Now like he said it is out of his hands.....

When Dave applied for disability... they said they only pay back 6 months, not to the date of application which I am assuming it was previously. I am watching the mailbox... .and like the lady at social security said.... if we don't have the "letter" by May 2nd then to call and they can then tell us what is going on concerning the technical side... this part makes no sense to me... why can't they tell us now, the computer is right there.. lol... oh well, not going to rock the boat at this point!

Starting to get really good at waiting (most times) :laughbounce:

Anne,

Could you be in that "wait" window? You said you applied last fall. If, for instance, you applied in October you may not receive a check until May 1. I could be wrong, of course, but I know I got antsy with the wait too. Then I made the mistake of thinking we would get a big check for those months of waiting - only to be disappointed with the one month check. They also pay for the past month. For instance, a check received May 1 would be for the month of April. I guess that may explain the technicality...after all we are not able to understand the intricacies of the Social Security system so it's just easier to give us the dummies explaination to the wait.

:laughbounce:

Ann

I have to agree with Ann. We were told by others that Gary would get retroactive pay to the date of his disability but that didn't happen. It was a six month wait for the first check - benefits actually started at five months after the date of the disability but payment was a month later (thus the 6 months). THERE WAS NO BACKPAY!!!! And, the two year waiting period to qualify for medicare was from the date of the first SSDI payment - not two years from the date of his disability. DON'T EXPECT BACKPAY, you will be disappointed!!

Sarah

WELL OMG... checked mailbox yesterday and there was a letter from Social Security for Dave stating that he has been approved for disability, and that the determined he became disabeled Jan 07... then something about 5 months so they would backpay from July 07 thru March 08 to expect that in the next week... so were very excited about actually seeing this in black and white... wondering when he would actually see the check though. I finished going through the mail and OMG again... there was the check that they talked about...... I collasped on my butt in the driveway with a big grin (thank god we live in country) so I opened it up for Dave and awww he started to cry with overload, he was so emotional. He called him mom (funny no matter how old you are you still need your mom sometimes)

YOu are right Ann, they said he is due for April payment that would be paid in May.... and that is just fine with me.... I am soo happy for Dave i'm still smiling.

So it was a great start to the week, it definately put a smile on my mans face yesterday.

hugs to all

Anne

WELL OMG... checked mailbox yesterday and there was a letter from Social Security for Dave stating that he has been approved for disability, and that the determined he became disabeled Jan 07... then something about 5 months so they would backpay from July 07 thru March 08 to expect that in the next week... so were very excited about actually seeing this in black and white... wondering when he would actually see the check though. I finished going through the mail and OMG again... there was the check that they talked about...... I collasped on my butt in the driveway with a big grin (thank god we live in country) so I opened it up for Dave and awww he started to cry with overload, he was so emotional. He called him mom (funny no matter how old you are you still need your mom sometimes)

YOu are right Ann, they said he is due for April payment that would be paid in May.... and that is just fine with me.... I am soo happy for Dave i'm still smiling.

So it was a great start to the week, it definately put a smile on my mans face yesterday.

hugs to all

Anne

I am very happy for you two, an uphill battle but it ended well. Again congrats..yay.gif

Archived