statin rebound affect?

cam1960

Hello All,

I haven't posted in a while, but I have a question only fellow patients might know. Is there any research on the potential rebound affect of going off statin medication?

I had my stroke in July of '06. My cholesterol at that point was 206, so they immediately put me on Zocor. Since reading of all the side affects, I started wondering how much of my pain and weakness was caused by the drugs rather than the stroke itself. I had never watched my diet before, and had really improved my eating habits, so I thought I could shave off those few points on my own.

With my doctors OK, I went off statins for three months. When I had my cholesterol rechecked, it had risen to 330! I'm having it tested again on Monday, just to make sure the lab didn't mess up.

Meanwhile, I've talked to family members who have had the same reaction.

Has there been any research into this? There are no warnings of any kind that I can find telling me this might happen. I am really hesitant to go back to these drugs that comprise my bodily functions, but what else can I do?

Any wisdom would be appreciated!

Carol

whoa carol, i do not have the answer you are seeking. but your cholesterol if that result was correct, was way high. maybe its just the way your body/dna creates it, esp. if other family members are the same. i know it is made at night and our body naturally makes some cholesterol on its own without any outside help,like our diets. personally i am on statins too and will stay on them until my doctor takes me off of them, the benefits outweigh the risks of not taking them. perhaps you need to see a dietitian to help you with your diet. fast foods are the worse they say. it causes plaque build up in the arteries which can lead to another stroke. the choice is yours ultimately. i wish you luck in getting things straightened out.

carol,

i agree with kimmie. a dietician may be the best person to see to help regulate your diet. the internet may be a means of getting info, there is too much info out there to confuse anybody about what's the right thing to do. i don't think it's wise to make any changes without seeking a medical opinion.

Guest lwisman

It is true that some people cannot take statins. They have various side effects Both my sister and cousin are in this position. Both of them continue to work with their doctors (and a dietitian in m cousin's case) to control cholesterol by other means. There are other drugs, "natural" remedies and changing diet may or may not help. Losing weight may help.

Statins in most cases do dramatically lower cholesterol and going off of them means that cholesterol goes right back up.

Work closely with your doc on this one.

Carol,

I tried the same thing, but not as long as you and my numbers went up too. So now I just take the zocor every night at bed time and watch what I eat and how much I was really afraid of satins.

Hi everyone,

Maybe i am turning this into another question, if so i apologise but Lin touched on this subject. What kind of effects do statins give that would make you think you should start looking for an alternative method of keeping your cholesterol level down.

Thanks, Mike

Lin,

I stated earlier in this topic that I stopped taking zocor because of the muscle weakness. I still am experiencing weakness. Now, the docs have changed some med, put me back on zocor, and are trying to find the cause of my weakness.

It's very hard for me to walk from the car door to the rear of my car to get my scooter out. I'm about to start drawing short term disability after my leave time is used up. I think some of it is arthritis in both legs. I hope they find the cause real soon.

I just did a search - statin rebound effect - and there is lots of information regarding the negative effects that could result from abrupt statin discontinuation. Primarily the most significant rebound effect IS death.

As a side note, Bill was prescribed Vitoryn recently in an effort to reduce his triglycerides wich are ranging from 1300 to 1700 when a normal high would be 150. He experienced severe confusion that even he recognized. I did discontinue the Vitoryn abruptly, HOWEVER, I replaced the Vitoryn with the Zocor dosage he had been taking before the Vitoryn was prescribed. After about three days the severe confusion had subsided. When I spoke with the cardiologist's pharmacist he said he had a few patients who reported confusion after beginning Vitoryn.

Guest lwisman

Fred,

I find it strange that your doctor put you back on zocor. It sounds like he should give you other alternatives. It also sounds like he does not have any alternatives -- strange because I would bet he has other patients in your position. Maybe you should do some alternatives research on the net and ask him about it. Personally, I would insist that I not be on zocor if I was in your position.

fred, i sure hope your doctors can find a reason for your muscle weakness and get you on a coarse of treatment. i know when i first started taking statins i was put on baycol. we all know, that medication was taken off the market due to complications with it. this happened before my stroke. maybe a contributor to my stroke. hmmm. as ann said, your doctor should be monitoring your blood work while on statins. but you should never just stop taking them, unless directed by your doctor. fred, please feel better soon.

Hello again,

Thanks for all the responses and info. I was really freaking out when I got those lab results. Part of my problem was, I had no way of knowing if I had side effects unless I went off the medication. The rehab docs slapped me on Zocor while I had no feeling at all in my left leg, so I couldn't tell if the pain and cramps were the drug or just the "new" me.

I'm frustrated that they never considered suggesting diet or lifestyle changes. I could have cured my cholestrol with Cheerios two years ago! They just saw "Stroke" and "high cholesterol" (by 6 points) on my chart and went right for the pills!

My rechecked blood work gave me a cholesterol of 298. Not good, but at least it's dropping. My doc prescribed low-dose Crestor to help it along. She also recommended Coenzyme Q-10, a dietary supplement to curb any new cramps.

I just wish drug companies would be a little more forthcoming on the risks, not only of taking their drugs, but of potential rebound affects. A lot of patients think they can go off their meds (or stop because they can't afford them) without any idea of this VERY big risk. Fortunately I'm a very healthy person (aside from that whole stroke thing :blush: ). If I had clogged arteries that slingshot effect could have done me in!

I'll get off my soapbox now! :Soapbox:

Thanks,

Carol

Guest lwisman

Carol,

Welcome to the world of modern western medicine. Where the most common answer is a pill or surgery. It is frustrating at times. I have also experienced as a stroke survivor that doctor's sometimes don't want to consider other options. It's almost like they think if you have had a stroke you are incapable of handling anything else -- like life style changes. Rubbish.

Keep asking questions. You are your own best advocate. :D

Archived