What do you do in a Day

Hi

Question, what do you do in a day. Before stroke I worked After stroke I don't. So what do you do with the endless hours? I can't account for all of them it feels like I loose time. But then there are the days that go on for ever. I work on my spelling and writting. I try to relearn math!!! I have my dog Daisy-May (2 year old spoiled rotten Bassett Hound). But I feel empty. Im trying to figure out what other people do. Sooooooooo Is it just that im not even a year into strokeville and I don't get it yet?

How do you fill your day and feel satisfied by what you do?

Thank You

Blue

Ischemic Stroke 7/17/07

Lt side Brain

Rt side Body

Hi Blue,

I have to admit, thinking back to the first year post, it was quite frustrating. I too used to work so I was used to being on the move from sun-up each day. The adjustment period took time as well as patience for me AND my daughter I must add. I'm left side affected and find myself many times trying to help out but making more of a mess in the long run.

Day-time television didn't cut it for me. Fortunately, one-handedly, I can manage hard back books so I read quite a bit. I have been a staff volunteer for Strokenetwork since March 2007 and it has been a lifesaver for me. Initially I had out patient therapy sessions to attend (waiting for transportation services stretched an hour appt into 4 or 5 hours sometimes. It was a blessing in disguise when insurance would not approve further sessions.

Have you considered doing any type of volunteer work - perhaps at the rehab facility you are involved with. You are proof that life goes on after stroke with adjustments of course. As you relax and get into the swing of things, you can "safely" experiment to see what else you can do post.

Hi Blue:

As Donna mentioned first year is the hardest. I used to work so post stroke didn't know what to do, so spent countless hours being depressed, but for me as a young survivor and mother life is one more time full, I learn new things and take couple of courses at nearby college, volunteer at redcross, my son's school and spend lot of time reading, and also volnteering on this site, exercise, when son comes from school ofcourse I have him to be entertained, fed, monitored for studying. post stroke journey is baby step, but remember you survived for a reason and do your best in whatever you do.

Asha

i enjoy spending time on line, both big fish and pogo are sites you sign up at and can play games on line, i also play ikarium and ogame, the are on line games closest to civilization or alpha centuari, on ikarium you start with a city on an island and build up city by having citizens do jobs to build resources and you have to keep up with your building and research and running a city, and ogame is a colony on a new planet and same thing you build things up, but you use numbers rather than just do busy work with them, plus you have to remember what is going on, they are both international and originated in Germany, so some foreign language thrown in, plus deciphering from members who are still learning English, i find it a challenge then i also like to research things just cause I'm curious, have any thing you may have learned but time and money didn't allow, find it on the internet, and jump in.

hi blue,

transitioning to a life with a lot of time on your hands is difficult. we all need to interact with society. spending extended periods sitting while surfing the net or watching tv is not healthy. volunteering is a good way to start to feel like you're making a contribution. i was an office manager in a congressional office prior to stroke. while i am not physically capable of doing what i used to do, i am lucky to be able to work part time in the same office doing thngs that help with the function of the office. financial benefits are nice, but if you know you can function in ways that will help others, that is great therapy all around.

Thanks Louise for the encourgement Im glad your life is in a good place. With the passing of time i too hope to find that kind of peace you sound content

Hows Hawaii lol

Blue

In my case I had so many doctor appointments and physical therapy scheduled the firs two years there was no time left except to rest and sleep. Then midway through my second year I started working full time and will be two years this May.

That was how I discovered this stroke site by being on the computer and by my local stroke group meetings. I was also driving again since the middle of my first year so that kept me on the go visiting some old friends. I never got bored and did a lot of reading too.

For the moment I'm not working but paying my bills and window shopping in the mall takes a lot of time for me. Some days I spend four hours just looking in the stores. I ride a scooter so it's easy. You'll have to find something you like and do more of it I suppose. I'm one that can sit and do nothing just as well

I go to the gym on the military base, Ft Hood, and meet many of the wounded warriors working out with missing limbs or legs and hear all the war stories from Iraq. I attend many funerals too of those who lost their lives in a country we never should have been involved with in my opinion.

Wish I had more suggestions to help in your case!

hi sherry, yes the 1st year is very hard. i kept busy with sleeping in as my body needed it, therapy sessions, trying to do things around the house like i used to. i can do most things except vacuuming, havent gotten that down yet. i used my computer endlessly daily to help with my cognitive issues,caused from stroke. plus i tried to return to work after only being home from rehab hosp for a few weeks, way to soon,but i had a very important job and no one else could do it. i also started looking into ssdi, i read alot and learned more about strokes, rehab, treatments, etc. sometimes i would nap in the afternoon if i needed to. anything i could do to keep busy. pretty soon it became a routine for my days. i too volunteer here at this website which is totally what i needed to feel useful again. it does get easier with time. finding a hobby you can do and enjoy is great too. i also have pets that keep me busy. i used to do alot of crafts prestroke but now have lost interest in them, i am busy with other things. i hope you will find something to occupy your days, good luck.

Sherry,

Going from a full busy day to having a lot of time on your hands is a difficult adjustment. I like most of the others spent much of my first year in therapy and napping to recoup from the exhaustion of therapy.

If that

Blue

You posed a very good question. It is difficult going from working full-time to having lots of time on your hand. I just recently celebrated my one-year post stroke anniversary. The first several months after the stroke I was in rehab and also slept alot. But there were some months after that in which I was depressed and felt as though I was not making a contribution. I realized I am not defined by who I was in my previous job but who I truly am. I went back through some more therapy, started driving, volunteering, and my days are once again busy. Rest as much as you are able and take advantage of as much PT as you can as well as exercising at home. You'll be amazed as the days go by.

You have friends on your stroke recovery journey.

My best to you.

Stessie

I got to a point where i was wondering if the stroke had affected my perception of time.

where i once had too few hours in a day, my post-stroke days seem to stretch interninably n front of me.

having a routine, however flexible, helps.

love,

anna

Hi Blue, I have 2 volunteer jobs, still go to therapy for 2 hors a week. It has been 5 years since my multiple strokes.I swim twice a week, one for therapy ,one for fun. Try dog walking when he allows me to.I also cook.

Kent

thanks everyone

I guess I just needed to hear that there are was of filling the days. I think when I'm alone at night i dwell on the past. How busy I was multi tasking lol Im trying to chang my thinkin and hearing from other people help me with seeing a different point of view

Sherry

aka Blue lol

Dear Sherry

I guess I have the opposite problem - the days are racing past & I find it hard to get all the exercises I want to do done :lol:

I have a couple of therapy sessions away from home a week, plus I am still trying to make the post discharge follow up visits of the various doctors I had in hospital (last one week afer next week), plus I am trying to do my company's tax paperwork for the last year & a half (yes I know I am a baaaaaaad girl :BashHead: ).

On the quite days I break up my exercises into 5 or so sessions during the day - usually 1. walking type, 2. lying type, 3. sitting type (ankle work), 4. arm & hand work, 5. electrical stimulation on various muscles. With adequate rest in between & other daily chores this can take me from mid morning until mid evening :tired: Throw in a bit of web surfing, TV, reading & I am well & truely ready for bed.

I hope this might gives you some hope & even ideas.

All the best to you.

Hi Blue,

Yep, the first year is hard in many ways but as all have said, it does get better. As for me, I lived alone at the time I came home and was in a wheelchair and completely paralyzed on my left side. My daughter did my grocery shopping, got my meds and took me to my dr appts, however, at my own insistance, I wanted to relearn to do things on my own. This took up time as I had to transfer myself from bed to wheelchair, washup with one hand, dress, fix my own breakfast, lunch and dinner, do my own dishes, etc., etc., etc. I tried to read at night in bed but would fall asleep. I came home in January 2004 but did not receive any more physical therapy until August 2004. Now, 4-1/2 years later, that was probably a blessing in disguise because my therapy was my housework. Taking baby steps in the house with my cane until I could walk to the corner store, stretching to put cans in the cabinet and carrying plastic bags of clothes to put in the washer strengthened me. These days I usually get up about 10:00 - watch Tyra, shower, cook and eat breakfast, volunteer (if it's my day) to call people that have been forgotten, walk around my apartment complex courtyard for exercise; lunch; watch divorce court; check my email; make phone calls to friends; paint, draw or read for an hour; go to the stores (drugstore, grocery store; wine shop; dollar store;); cook dinner; wash dishes; and last, get on my computer and surf to have fun. Then I try to use up all the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in the alphabet so I can get up and do it all over again. My 5 cents to you is to find something you like to do . Do you have any hobbies? Do you like reading? The internet is a good companion, but be sure to do whatever exercises you are suppose to do. Do you like movies? Establish a routine and have something to look forward to everyday like planting some herbs or flowers in a pot and watching them grow. Eating a piece of chocolate. You get the idea. Sorry I was so longwinded, but like others, I've been there and I so want to always give encouragement because this site certainly gave it to me. :Clap-Hands:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi-- I stay busy just doing all the things I did Before stroke

like-- cooking a simple meal. I get started, then find myself distracted & go off to do another task, returning much later to the original recipe. hopefully , it is ready to be served by dinner time. thus goes the day doing tasks that take far too long so my day is gone too quickly. Many more tasks scream to be accomplished, but,alas, they wait until another day. after taking time to go walking & resting for an hour there is no day left. Just like that it has passed once again...on some days i just take time to read a book. :happydance:

:juggle:others are spent doing laundry, or a bit of gardening very slowly or telephoning friends for a chat.

life is good. different than it used to be, but good

KM

• 1 month later...

I RETURNED TO COLLEGE... FREE THROUGH INDIANA VOC REHAB THEY PAID TUITION, IWAS ALLOWED TO KEEP THE PELL GRANT MONEY, SAVED 2 SEMESTERS, USED THE MONEY FOR A DOWN PAYMENT ON A DUPLEX APARTMENT THAT I AND MY FAMILY WERE RENTING. THE ONLY CLASS I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO ATTEND WAS PUBLIC SPEAKING, TOOK ALGEBRA, AND PHILOSOPHY ON LINE. WITH HOMEWORK AND TESTS

I HAD VERY LITTLE TIME. THROUGH SCHOOL CONTACTS I GOT A JOB AS CARETAKER FOR A MENTALLY HANDICAPED MAN NAMED JEFF HE WAS RETURNING TO THE REAL WORLD AFTER 30 YEARS OF STATE HOSPITALS IT PUT MY PROBLEMS IN PERSPECTIVE.... WHAT FREE TIME? CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR. I STILL LIMP SPASTICITY STILL HINDERS MY LEFT HAND AND MY CRYING FOR NO REASON IS STILL HERE AFTER 5 YEARS, I STILL SET SHORT TERM AND LONG TERM GOALS. THIS YEAR I PLAN TO OPEN MY OWN COMPUTER REPAIR SHOP. MAYBE MY STROKE DAMAGED THE PART OF MY BRAIN THAT TELLS ME IM HANDICAPED. I DONT HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO PURSUE THE OPPORTUNITIES. IF MY HEALTH TAKES A DIVE I COULD MAKE A LIVING ON EBAY OR COUNSEL IN MY 12 STEP GROUP, IM A RECOVERING ALCOHOLIC. OR I COULD WAIT TO DIE... NOT MY STYLE... THANX GRUFFY1

• 2 weeks later...

I work fulltime as an art director.

I told my boss when I got hired I had a stroke but I could do the job.

I have "fooled" others into thinking I'm normal, but eventually told them when they walk way too fast for me or go flying down stairs while I struggle.

It's crazy how different it affects us all. I am still dizzy after a year and a half.

Hi Blue

next month will be 1 year since i had my stroke and if you read my files you will see i have not had much time to pursue anything, but now that I'm nearly over the medical problems I'm starting a home based computer repair business used to do it for a hobby befor my stroke and should have no problem handling it and I'm looking forward to it, meeting different people etc and the challenge.

Allan

PS

If you ever need to chat you can allways contact me

OUR DAUGHTER RACHEL HAD HER STROKE 2 YEARS AGO. SHE WORKS ONE DAY A WEEK AT A LOCAL RESTAURANT ROLLING SILVERWARE AND SETTING UP THE TABLE. IT'S JUST FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS, BUT SHE LOVES IT. SHE ATTENDS THERAPY 2 TIMES A WEEK FOR AN HOUR.

RACHEL LIKES TO SHOP, GO TO THE MOVIES, EAT OUT, AND GO TO CHURCH. WE TAKE HER TO THOSE PLACES SINCE SHE DOESN'T DRIVE.

SOME DAYS ARE DIFFICULT; SHE WOULD LIKE TO BE WITH FRIENDS MORE OFTEN, BUT THEY COME AND GO ONLY A COUPLE OF TIMES A MONTH. SHE IS 24 SO THAT IS THE MOST DIFFICULT HURDLE TO OVERCOME.

RACHEL ALSO ENJOYS WATCHING THE LOCAL SWIM MEETS AND BALL GAMES.

WE WATCH MOVIES AT THE HOUSE AND RACHEL GETS ONLINE. SHE ALSO WRITES LETTERS AND FILLS OUT CARDS FOR B'DAYS, ANNIVERSARIES, AND PEOPLE WHO ARE SICK. SHE ALSO LIKES SCRAPBOOKING.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Blue,

I have to admit, thinking back to the first year post, it was quite frustrating. I too used to work so I was used to being on the move from sun-up each day. The adjustment period took time as well as patience for me AND my daughter I must add. I'm left side affected and find myself many times trying to help out but making more of a mess in the long run.

Day-time television didn't cut it for me. Fortunately, one-handedly, I can manage hard back books so I read quite a bit. I have been a staff volunteer for Strokenetwork since March 2007 and it has been a lifesaver for me. Initially I had out patient therapy sessions to attend (waiting for transportation services stretched an hour appt into 4 or 5 hours sometimes. It was a blessing in disguise when insurance would not approve further sessions.

Have you considered doing any type of volunteer work - perhaps at the rehab facility you are involved with. You are proof that life goes on after stroke with adjustments of course. As you relax and get into the swing of things, you can "safely" experiment to see what else you can do post.

Seems to me if you are bored it is because you are ready to do something else. Have you thought of volunteering or taking a course, Either one would fill many hours in your day plus you would meet new people. Also it could boost your self esteem. Just a few suggestions, volunteering was my solution to boredom and it was very rewarding to know that I was making a difference.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread has been dormant for a while but I'm just now finding it.

Yeah I'm a little slow sometimes LOL.

Anyway, pre stroke I was an over the road(OTR) truck driver.

I was very used to being in a different place every day of the week

then stroke hit and suddenly I was locked inside 4 walls and I tell ya I didn't like it none too much.

After a while I accepted my fate and started messing around on my wife's computer.

Soon I found myself frequenting message boards such as this one here.

Within a year I founded my own in honor of our troops

so for the past 2 1/2 years that is how I have filled my time.

life post stroke isn't too bad once you find something to do with all that free time.

I've been scarce here since may because I've been attempting to learn HTML

and I tell ya, if you really want to bust your brain learning that stuff is a sure way to do it :uhm:

Just 1 misplaced dot < or / and you can crash a whole site or at least break it beyond repair

unless your an uber geek which I am NOT by any stretch of the term.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it

I have a 3 year old son who makes sure that I don't have too much time to linger in my self-pity. But between house chores and all the therapy, I usually run out of time before I run out of things to do. Try a hobby, maybepainting or cooking, something that can easily be done with one hand.Or reading and web-surfing can be fun. Maybe take some online classes that you've always wondered about or find a new author to enjoy

As Outsider said, kind of an old topic...but oh well, I guess I'll finally add my two pennies!

Summertime is easy for me to keep busy. I like going to fairs/carnivals, demolition derbies, and fishing! I also started flower gardening and humming bird feeding (finally got some birds to come for a couple weeks! and I got ONE snapdragon plant to survive my inexperience this year LOL)

Winter is more restrictive, because I absolutely despise the cold! I only weigh 85 lbs (38.5kg), so have no natural padding to keep me warm. And I don't like bundling up, because clothes annoy me (I should join a nudist colony! LOL).

So while I'm stuck inside, I play around on the computer...sometimes actual games, mostly I do research for anything that strikes my curiosity. It's partly how I knew about strokes before I had one, and recognized it. I like neurology, and have found out quite a bit of stuff about Narcolepsy, Synesthesia, Speech disorders (Aphasia, Dysarthria, Apraxia), Spina Bifida, and lots of other "useless" knowledge!

Earlier this year, I also got involved in volunteering at a cat rescue/shelter, and foster one cat (I'd like to have several, but my city restricts number of pets, plus my own cat is kind of territorial and barely tolerates others). I've always wanted to do this, but my ex-husband never let me...now that he's gone, I can bring home a kitty that won't judge and/or restrict me ;)

Archived