On-going tribute to Twistoffate

Heartfelt Greetings to all.. :welcome: ..This is to all who have had their lives so RUDELY, and TOTALLY interrupted, by ANYTHING from a stroke, to a heart attack,

and ANYTHING in between. To those who have fought back with all the FORTITUDE, HEART, and even STUBBORNNESS, that you can possibly muster. To

those of you who know that your own, sweet life has been intruded upon in such a way, that if you don't DECLARE ALL-OUT WAR, then you will settle

for a life that is anything but...the kind of life that you dream of, you desire, YOU WISH FOR WITH ALL YOUR HEART !! It can be yours. It is within your

grasp. Just DO NOT SETTLE...EVER!! :Tantrum:

You good folks know me. I have the sweet privilege of knowing many of you. You know I came here a confused, but hopeful victim. So incredibly blessed

and inspired to be alive. A survivor of a horrible stroke, and of subsequent MRSA staph. A survivor of a long hospital stay, that at times left me with but

a PRAYER for life. You know that against all odds, with care of my HERO DOCTOR, MY GUARDIAN ANGEL WIFE, and the will of OUR SWEET LORD, combined with my overriding desire to live, I do just that. AND I LIVE LIFE WITH GUSTO !! I SO LOVE LIFE !! I live in the country, in the beautiful, rolling

hills of EAST TENNESSEE. I never even went back to the 2 story log cabin I was carried from when my stroke hit. My sweet wife, (girlfriend at the time)

knew I might not be able to climb stairs, so her, my 15 year old daughter, and my mother, went to work, and prepared a sprawling home that my

girlfriend's Mom had built many years ago.

It was here that I would find the peace and sanctuary, as well as the room to rehab, that would allow me to mend. I garden, and grow beautiful plants.

A bonus in my rehab has been turning a 100 year old home (where Cathy's great grandmother lived) into a personal Museum. Here I am able to display a

lifetime's worth of Music and Sports things, (from being a Musician, and Ball player), as well as many, many things of interest. I continue to make music, from Smoky Blues, to World Music, in a nice, self-contained Studio, I was able to put together. These things are so important to me. They were my life

P.S. (pre-stroke), and I'm determined to not miss a beat post-stroke. I can't stress how important it is to me to continue a life I was living when I was

side-tracked. I'm even determined to up the ante. :bouncing_off_wall:

I call on the help of a cane much of the time. The stroke tried to take my right side. My DOMINATE side. So I use a cane from time to time. Know

what?? My wife (Cathy) is also my Guardian Angel. She is also so talented and creative, it's not even fair!! Stained Glass, painting, drawing, refurbush

ing old stuff. She takes my cane, and makes it a work of art!! Wraps it in leather, feathers, beads. Adds touches here and there, and BINGO!! IT's

a HIT!! Every where we go, folks love my cane. EVERYWHERE!! So we were inspired, by peoples stories, and I would share mine, and we prayed for

guidance, and we've started a business....making Beautiful, personalized walking canes. Check 'em out!!...you can pm me for more information [[ edited by MBA Donna to remove personal contact information to protect the privacy of the member]]

Chalk this one up to "if life gives you lemons, make lemonade". WE ARE SO PROUD!! You all know how I feel about taking on life, not as a VICTIM,

not as a SURVIVOR, but as a WARRIOR!! Ready, willing, and able to take on life's challenges. So with my chin up, my heart full of drive and desire,

I'll dig in and be the MAN I know I am. I want folks to be proud of me, and comfortable around me. My people all know what happened to me. It pains

them to see someone so full of life get smacked down, HARD!! So I make it easier for them. I try real hard to be the me of old. Know what?? A very

cool thing has happened in my life. While I was busy trying so hard to be as "normal" as I could, I surpassed my own self. I have become a "better

me". I am more patient. I am more understanding. More sympathetic. I have more empathy towards life in general. IT SURE FEELS GOOD!!

I would like to welcome all folks, EVERYONE associated with the STROKE NET, to DECLARE!! DECLARE your life, no matter what the circumstances,

no matter how capable, or incapable you may be. No matter how tired or weary you are. DECLARE the life you have as YOUR life, worth fighting

HARD to make it a comfortable, easy going, pain free, trouble free, relaxing, enjoyable life!! Many of us live in a degree of constant pain. Such is

the nature of a Stroke, unfortunately. But that pain can be tempered, thanx to the right meds. You've heard me say it before, and I'll always preach

the benefits, and enjoyment of a good, powerful jacuzzi. I can't do without the heated water blasting my body at least 2 hours a day. It loosens me

up to perform other things.

I'll close this way. Bless the ones who have been forced to change their lives in order to get along, or even more so, to just live. If you must adapt,

as most of us do, put thought into it. Make it really work for YOU. Let your loved ones, and friends help with your "new life". "Customize" your

life!! Make it ALL that you want. We deserve it!! DECLARE FOR YOUR SOUL.....AND THEN LIVE A GOOD LIFE!! :gleam:

MY NAME IS FATE.....ANDI DECLARE MY LIFE !!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow! What a post..thanks for the words. Can you post a link to where we can check out your canes? Thanks.

Fate,

Your words of wisdom are so heartfelt and so appreciated, as always. Your positive outlook is so so inspirational to me. You are truly blessed to have such a loving and supportive family. You are taking youR 2nd chance at life and living it to the max - WAY TO GO!!!!!!

PS - I join you - I DECLARE MY LIFE

Wow! Wow! Wow!

I read your post three times to absorb everything that was being written. What a wonderful posting! Thank you so much. I plan to come back again to reread so perhaps I, too, can make some more positive changes.

Stessie

Hello to all again -

I just wanted to thank everyone for all your wonderful feedback. It always means the world to me. And to thank the great people who work so hard to keep this site up and running. I appreciate your taking the time to help out with my initial post. I've had a couple of people contact me about the cane information and just wanted to let any folks who want more information know that they can "private" message me here and my wife and I will get that to you.

This site is kind of like my "home away from home" :cloud9: and all you mean so much to me.

Thanks again -

Fate

fate,

i appreciate you being so candid about your thoughts and feelings abut life after stroke. we may not have the life we had before stroke, but we're still here and life has taken a different form. it gives me all the more reason to try harder, be stronger, and be a better person.

hi there twist,

as we have come to expect from you a very inspirational post.

just what i needed when i felt a teensy bit of complacency setting in.

thanks for posting.

anna

:forgive_me?: A very Heartfelt Greeting to all. It is my sincere hope that everyone is of such a mindset that they want to take on life "on your own terms"!! Expect

nothing but the very best for yourselves, and NEVER,EVER, SETTLE FOR NOTHING ELSE!! I'll say it again. Truly adopt the heart of a WARRIOR, and

you WILL surprise yourself at what you will accomplish!!

You all know that I am a fighter. I will always be willing to lead the way, and thru fortitude, love of life, love of our DEAR SWEET LORD, and hatred

of all things that would try and rob us of what we so richly deserve, a sweet, beautiful, and full life. Just keep your chin up, your heart open, your

mindset on "RIGHT".

My stroke resulted in me blowing my nose a little too hard, of ALL THINGS!! It was Winter time, and I was clogged up due to Asthma. The result was

a "Baseball" sized bleed in the left side of my brain. THAT resulted in a complete short circuit of my right side. My dominate side. Bad news. Two weeks

in, and I contracted a nasty, and deadly case of MRSA STAPH INFECTION. From then on, it was a fight for my life. A fight that I eventually Blessedly, and most humbly won.

Now good folks, another battle awaits me. I have spoke many times of my "family of Doctors". How the Doctor that saved my life, was the "Best Man"

in my wedding. I love them all, and they do me. I carry the remnants of the stroke/staph with me. I walk with my glorious "RAISIN CANE". And I walk

proud, like a WARRIOR!! I have a Doctor who I love, and trust with my life. She monitors the internal organs of my "right side". Lately an ultrasound

detected 2 lesions in my liver. I was sent to Vanderbilt Hospital,(a 600 mile trip) and I got word today, the lesions are malignant tumors. DANG!! I can

sure do without this! Yet another battle. Time to dig in, and PLOW, PLOW, PLOW!! I'll spend time extra appreciating my life, and more time talking with

my DEAR, SWEET LORD. He did not bring me this far, and seen me through the battles I've born, to leave me now.

I will buck up and be the WARRIOR you all know me to be. You sweet folks are my friends, and family. You have seen me through going on 4 years

of my life. May I please ask for your thoughts and prayers?? I promise them to be well founded, and to keep you posted. Promise.

MOST SINCERELY, FATE :forgive_me?:

Fate,

My thoughts and prayers are most certainly are with you. You have been such a warrior. I beieve we are not given what we cannot handle. Once again, you will persevere this next hurdle and continue being the Warrior we've come to know, love, and respect.

((hugs)))

fate, i am so sorry to hear this. but as donna stated, you will get over this hurdle too. god is there beside you to guide you. you are a strong warrior, you have proven that already. i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. keep fighting the good fight and NEVER GIVE UP HOPE. we are here to encourage you along the way. god bless you.

You are in my thoughts and prayers my Warrior Friend! I have no doubt you will overcome this because you are a fighter and an inspiration to so many of us here. Keep fighting the good fight! :swordfight:

Wishing you all the best

* Shirley *

aloha fate,

we are a unique group due to the fact we're all warriors because we are survivors. we're following the same road to recovery with you. stroke left us with two choices --- either give up or fight. as shirley said, keep fighting the good fight.....because you have a fighting spirit that will not quit!

I did it again....dang it , someboy tell me what key I'm hitting to do that...I just get rolling w/ my quick little lonely right hand and i look up an all is gone DRATTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway.......

fATE: i AM SOOO SORRY TO READ OF YOUR LATEST CHALLENGE! :angry2: iT JUST DOESN'T SEEM FAIR AFTER ALL YOU HAVE ALREADY ENDURED! But it seems quite obvious that you are surrounded by peeps :hug: who love you and folks who will pray,speak,beg,scream on your behalf :Tantrum: ! Fight the good fight, buddy! :bop: We are right there with yiu! :Tantrum: !!!

take care, J

Well Fate, with God, all things are possible. After all, he made you the WARRIOR you are. May all go well for you and be aware that you are in all of our prayers.

Dear Fate, my Warrior friend you along with all my cyber family are included in my nightly prayers.... I will add extra warm thoughts and prayers for your new fight.

Think warm thoughts, and sending hugs to you and your family, Bonnie

• 4 weeks later...

WHEN I FIRST CAME TO THE SITE, I IMMEDIATELY FOUND FOLKS IN NEED OF A LISTENING EAR. SO I BECAME ONE. I KNOW FOR A FACT IT HELPED.

NOT ONLY DID IT HELP, BUT IT INTRODUCED ME TO SOME FINE FOLKS, IN NEED OF AN EAR, I BEING ONE OF THOSE FOLKS.

I JUST HAD TWO SUBJECTS UP FOR DISCUSSION IN STROKE SURVIVOR. ONE WAS FOR A CHANCE TO DECLARE. TO DECLARE YOUR INDEPENDANCE

FROM THE TIES THAT BIND YOU FROM A HANDICAP. THE OTHER WAS ASKING DEAR FRIENDS FOR PRAYER PERTAINING TO A CANCER I HAD BEEN

SADDLED WITH. IN ALL SOME 400 FOLKS READ ABOUT THIS. 15 REPLIED WITH KINDNESS. I DO APPRECIATE THE FOLKS THAT REPLIED. i'M AT A LOSS

AT THOSE THAT DID NOT. GOD BLESS YOU ANYWAY, AND MAY FOLKS EXHIBIT THEIR LOVE WITH KIND WORDS, AND CARING. AND IF YOU FEEL ONE

OF THOSE FOLKS, BY ALL MEANS DO. MANY TIMES YOU CAN DO INFINITE GOODNESS BY BEING A PLAYER, AS OPPOSED TO BEING A SPECTATOR. A

KIND UNDERSTANDING WORD, AND SYMPATHETIC EAR, HAS MEANT THE WORLD TO MANY A PERSON IN NEED. THANK YOU, FATE.

I hope I was one that did answer and sent prayers your way, I usually do. Some days I don't log in daily so may miss a topic or two.

A lot of members read only, no replies, they learn from what others say on the board. Still others are a little shy about posting on here or they have to wait till someone help them with the typing.

There is no disrespect just some rather read than talk (typing) Then there are those like me that will post my comment to any topic any time unless I just don't know nothing about the topic or it's so long or typed all together making it very hard to read for me.

Another thing, I use my spell check before I post cause my spelling is terrible these days I hope your cancer is under control with treatments. Another prayer goes out to you because you know me.

I have not been logging in, or catchig every post....as we have some family health issues going on here.

My prayers at night include all my friends on Stroke Net...

hoping for a great outcome. You have been a great warrior and may you come though this fight and out the other side.. with love and strength.

(((((((Hugs)))))))))) Bonnie

i am one of the 400 that did not respond. No disrespect ment. I just didn't know what to say, first a stroke now Cancer. Some times it's hard to react to such things. I can't give advise because I no nothing about Cancer and only a little about stroke I'm only 11 months out. But I am truly sorry to hear about your Cancer.

You are in my Prayers

Sherry

twist, i think i did respond to you, but in case i didn't i am sorry, i too pray for all friends and members at strokenet daily. alot of members don't log in daily to read all posts. so it could have been missed by many. i pray you beat this cancer thing as committed as you were to beating the stroke. i hope your treatment is going well for you. remember the lord does not give us more than we can handle. good luck and god bless you too. keep fighting the good fight for both afflictions.

For a lack of something to say I'll try not to make the unfortunate 400 list again. So I'll just say I will happily keep you in my thoughts and prayers for continued progress in both your recoveries.

Maria :friends:

Twist,

I certainly hope I was one of the ones offering my prayers,I usually do and I pray for all of my Strokenet friends daily,I work full time and sometimes don't log on till my days off,so in case I missed your topic,rest assured I'm praying for you while I type this.

God Bless You Brother,

Tom

• 1 month later...

VERY HEARTFELT GREETINGS TO ALL, AND MY DEAR SWEET FRIENDS, I HAVE MISSED YOU GREATLY. AFTER MY LAST POST A WHILE AGO,

I HAD TO BACK UP AND APPROACH THIS AGAIN. I SIMPLY HAVE MISSED THE FAMILY TOO MUCH AND BEEN OUTTA COMMUNICATION A

LITTLE TOO LONG TO JUST POP IN WITH A ..UH,HOWDY Y'ALL. SO HI TO MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS !! I'VE TRULY MISSED YOU, AND I

SINCERELY HOPE LIFE IS BEING KIND TO YOU. I STILL DO SNOOP AROUND, TO KEEP IN TOUCH, AND IT DOES MAKE ME FEEL GOOD TO

HEAR THE SAME MESSAGE AND ADVICE, AND LORD, THE POSITIVE ATTITUDES ARE FLOWING AND PREVAILING. BLESS Y'ALL..OVER AND

OVER. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WELCOMED ME IN, AND LET ME KNOW I'D FOUND A PLACE TO CALL A HOME. A HOME WHERE A LOT OF

FOLKS LIKE ME WERE PICKIN' UP THE PIECES, AND SEEING WHAT KIND OF PUZZLE WAS LEFT TO WORK WITH.

YOU KNOW MY STORY, AND MY APPROACH TO DEALING WITH THE WAY OUR LIVES WERE ALTERED. RIGHT FROM THE GET-GO I WAS

WELCOMED SWEETLY, AND EMPATHIZED WITH. SO MUCH HELP, AND SO MUCH MOTIVATION TO GET IT ON. I TOOK THE ADVICE I WOULD

READ, AND APPLY IT TO MY OWN LIFE. I KNEW I WAS UNCOMMONLY SLAMMED HARD, SO IT WOULD TAKE ALL THE AMMO I COULD

MUSTER TO HAVE A CHANCE. I WANT YOU ALL TO KNOW, THROUGH HARD WORK, STAYING BUSY, GETTING PROPER REST, JUST DOING

WHAT I SHOULD DO, I HAVE WELL SURPASSED MY GOALS...AND DREAMS. I WILL ALWAYS CARRY MY REMINDER OF HOW FRAGILE LIFE

IS, BUT I'M REMINDED HOW SWEET AND BEAUTIFUL LIFE TRULY IS. I HOPE ALL WILL FEEL FREE TO TAKE A PAGE OUTTA MY BOOK, TAKE

THE PAGES, ADVICE...ALL YOU NEED TO HELP YOU AS I AM. I'M ALWAYS HERE. SHOOT, FROM TIME TO TIME, I READ SOME OF MY OWN

WRITINGS. THEY MAKE ME SMILE. I AM PROUD. I TOO AM ETERNALLY THANKFUL.

AFTER THE STROKE, THE MRSA STAPH, AND MY BATTLES WITH THAT, I HAVE A NEW BATTLE. I ASK FOR PRAYER, AND I WILL KEEP YOU

POSTED. WELL Y'ALL, THE VERY BEST TO YOU, AND MAY THE GOOD LORD BE WITH US ALL. TIME TO SHINE MY ARMOR. THAT'S WHAT A

GREAT WARRIOR DOES. SEE YA, FATE.

Archived