hair

Since my stroke I have struggled w/ my hair.. the best "DO" is ver short, however I look like a guy!-- I already feel hrumph-ugh w/ my hanging arm. Has anybody found a do or what all can YOU do to make yours loverly?

hi julie, its me again, i used to have long hair before my stroke and i've had to cut it short too so i can handle it. i am able to use a curling iron easier now that is is shorter. i never looked good in short hair but i've had to adapt to make it easier on me. its really hard to wash it with 1 hand and make sure you get everything rinsed out well for me. i usually just wear a headband to keep it out of my face. have you thought of a perm or body wave where you could just wet it everyday and pick it out into a cute style. when i get a trim, i have my beautician do a set and style that lasts for a few days on me. you might ask the person who cuts your hair for suggestions that would be easy for you to do. there are so many things that we as survivors need to learn how to with 1 hand. i think woman have a harder time than men, with our makeup, hair and dressing. sometimes a wig works best for some woman and they can get it on with 1 hand. the struggles are always gonna be with us now but you can learn to overcome them, with patience and practice. i wish you the best.

I got a perm for awhile.. i could just spritz it with water and use a hair pick.

I also just found a hairdryer.. that also has 2 other curling brushes in 2 sizes that snap on, so you can dry and curl.. it is pretty easy to hold.

It's a Conair one.

If you use the same person to cut your hair she may be able to help you with some styles.. and show you how to do them also.

Maybe a Beauty school also..

i too had long hair (i could sit on it)a real mess in the hospital, i worked up to now 2 years later with very short hair, i thought it would make me look manly however i have been reassured over and over that that is not so, i have dexided to keep it becaise i can take care of it so easily, i'll never win a beauty contest so like you with one arm not working and not walking so good, i feel my hair as long as i keep int clean and brushed no longer concerns me.

Julie,

My head was shaved when I was in the hospital because I had brain surgery. My first rehab goal (little did I know then) was to get my arm back before my hair grew back. It grew back within about a year or so to just below my shoulders which is where I always wore it. My hair is thick and curly so without blowing it out, it can blackout sunlight for miles around. By now I think I have every contraption on the market e.g. blow driers with brushes attached, dryer stands, things that attach to the wall. If there

Resign yourself to shoulder length hair and use one a hot air curling brush like this: http://www.hairproducts.com/view_product_CUR-CER100.htm

I recommend you spend the extra money on a ceramic one. The plastic ones don't really work and break easily.

tHANKS ALL! iT SOMEHOW MAKES ME FEEL BETTER TO KNOW OTHRS STRUGGLE W/ THIS KIND OF VANITY! iT' SO SILL WHEN YOU CONSIDER THE big SCHEME OF POST STROKE LIFE...BUT DARN IT IT SDTILL MATTERS TO ME! i WISH i HAD SOME CURL, BUT MINE IS JUST SO STRSIGHT...i'VE TRIED TO GROW IT OUT BUT! NOPW IT'S JUST A MESS! :forgive_me?: :laughbounce: I feel so self conscious still- assume that will get better! The closer I can come to looking as I did pre-stroke the happier "I think I will be. I know , I know i need to just accept the NEW me! Think I will get an appt w/ someone GOOD + buy that ceramic curl-brush. I have a cheap one but all it did was burn my neck. ouch! Do tho dryer holder thingies work? Has anyone tried the cuttin board w/ thingy that holds something still for you? thanks again....REALLY A BUNCH! :laughbounce:

accepting the new life stroke left us with means making a lot of adjustments and focusing on the things that matter. trips to the hair and nail salons are a thing of the past. the 'new you' forces us to simplify our lives and appreciate each and every day we have.

Well wigs and falls have been a lifesaver for me. Although my hair is long - it has thinned out some but I can't roll it for a curly style nor can I keep it straight for a long style, but with wigs I can have it short, long and any color I want. Plus, I'm ready to go at a moments' notice and we all know how hard that is to get dressed. This is kind of personal but I don't wear a bra unless I have on something see thru but when I have to I have the hardest time getting one on and pantyhose too. Any suggestions?

my hair was so long I had to move it when I wiped, I've always had long hair. A few weeks in the hospital with no brushing- they wouldn't let my mother brush it because they insisted it would hurt my neck muscles or some such nonsense. When I got to my rehab hospital, I had a small dead animal on the nape of my neck and we had no choice but to clip it to my skull, leaving me with very thick hair puffing out right above my shoulders. I use just do the was, rinse reapeat and brush it and then just hope for the very best. Apparently people think it looks cute and most people are too confused about seeing a person my age ( I'll be 35 on thursday, but I look 28 or 29) in a chair to notice the hir or lack of makeup. I'm too overwhelmed with how to keep my purse from falling off the chair to worry about my hair, but I understand feeling self-conscious about " one more thing " making us look different than everyone else

had another :2cents: to add, i have always had straight hair and have never liked perms a few times i bit the bullet and did get one, so everyone has to make do with what;s on their head unless they can afford a nice enough wig, personally i would rather wear my short easy to care for gray hair than a wig, I've had gray hair since my 20's so that is no big deal, i didn't want to cut my hair but after getting the glue in it from the wire thingie then using one of those caps with the waterless shampoo, also always getting it caught under me and pulling every time i tried to do anything, and having it anything but a mess unless one of the aides had the time to help, luckily several enjoyed trying braiding and other things, i immediately went to get it cut upon leaving the hospital first just shoulder length and donating the cut off hair for wigs for cancer patients, i have gradually had it cut shorter and shorter, until i had it cut really short, i envisioned wispy tendrils i got alfalfa from the old TV show, then after all the compliments i have gotten and continue to get i went back and had it done again, so find a good beautician and take a chance it can always grow back, you may just like it as well as i did

Hi

I have found a light straightening iron helpful for smoothing my hair & curling it under at the ends (I have almost shoulder length hair). I shopped around to find ones that suited my one handed operation.

HTH

Archived