I wear an AFO+ HAVE -0- LEFT HAND. i I have to have help to put all on right now--I'd like to do it myself. A Few months ago I bought two sizes of shoes----$$$costly and then the bigger one stretched out too big.... suggestions? Has anybody found VELCRO SHOES THAT LOOK "GOOD?"

hi julie. i found my velcro shoes at shoebuy.com, they are the propet brand. a nice leather tennis shoe with velcro. they have every size and width to accommodate the afo. plus they feel great to walk in.also easy to get on with 1 hand. they also have so many styles of shoes, prices aren't to bad either. i hope i have helped you with this info. walmart has velcro tennis shoes but not as nice as the propet brand. good luck

Julie,

I too wear an AFO and have found that Skechers-spokes work well for me. I have brown, black, white with tan, white with red & black, and white with navy. Do not buy the intuition brand as they are very narrow and don't work well with the AFO. I think they are really stylish. My students at school have complemented me on them. I have bought several pair on Ebay at reasonable prices.

Guest lwisman

Check this out. Some time ago someone posted on this board that Nordstrom's will sell you a pair of shoes which are different sizes. This is apparently a service they provide.

Hi, Julie

I second Dalene's comments. When I wore an AFO, I wore the same type of shoe. Most of my friends commented they were stylish and they sure did help when I was walking. I no longer wear an AFO but I do have to select the right shoe. I love shoes but realize I'll never be in heels again. I am back into some stylish sandals and that's super.

Good luck.

Stessie

I don't wear a AFO but wear shoes by SAS. I know they have velcro shoes and are very comfortable. I am wearing a pair of shoes you just slide your foot into with a heel. First time I am trying these and they are good so far. Good luck finding the right shoes.

Mary

I have a pair of velcro shoes by SAS that are for diabetics. The clerk removed the insole when he saw my AFO. You can do that with any shoe. I also have a pair from the Mason Shoe Co. They don't fit as well.

The SAS are quite expensive, but I watch for sales. And I have also heard about Nordstrom's selling two pairs for the price of one.

Good luck.

Vi

julie,

http://www.healthyshoestore.com/index.html is a great place that specializes in orthopedic and therapeutic shoes. they have an ample selection of styles to accommodate an AFO for men and women. they carry several of the styles by propet that kimmie recommended. i've purchased a couple of comfortable and stylish pairs by apis and have no complaints. they also provide free shipping on orders over $75.00. good luck!

• 2 months later...

Julie, I recently bought propet' shoes. I needed with AFO - metal kind with split sole. I needed velcro- also have no use of left hand. They were $40 at Bee Bee Shoe in NH. I bet you could find online. Very comfortable - I did lots of looking! Good luck! Lilli

• 5 months later...

Hi Julie, I had the same problem for years. Unless you are wearing slacks all the time, it is hard to find shoes that are dressy enough to wear with a dress. At one time I found a place where they sold dancing shoes. Some were low healed and had a strap to hold your foot in the shoe, That worked for me for a while. I have done like you and bought 2 pairs of shoes in different size and I hated throwing out a pair of new shoes. You wouldn't have to throw out the other pair if you found, maybe here, someone who is affected on the other side. Now it has been about 1 year that I stopped wearing my AFO and I can wear anything I wish. Sorry didn't mean to gloat but after 23 years of wearing running shoes practically every day. I was in heaven when I bought my first pair of dressy shoes. I was like a toddler withhis first pair of shoes (you know when they walk looking at their feet) At the rehab hospital where I had my physio they had a shop where they sold specialized shoes. These were a bit expensive but a lot less than buying 2 pairs of shoes. Places where they sell orthopedic shoes might have something more dressy than runners. Brands like "Tender tootsies" or "Dr. Shoal"s" might have something for you also. Good luck to you, I know how important it is for us women to have pretty shoes. I hope this helps, Take care,

mc

Archived