bye-bye to my words

aclarke

HI ITS SOMETHING HOW WE HAVE A STROKE AND OUR MINDS KNOW WHAT TO SAY BUT WHEN WE SPEAK THEM, THEY COME OUT MOMBO JUMBO. I WENT THROUGH SPEECH THER , DID CONTINUING SPEECH THERAPY AT HOME. I HAVE KINDA TAUGHT MYSELF TO SPEAK SLOWLY, CLEARLY AND LOUDLY SO PEOPLE WILL UNDERSTAND ME. IF I DON T, AND JUST SAY WHAT I WANT TO SAY,, 9 TIMES OUT OF 10, PEOPLE SAY.. WHAT.. OR SAY IT AGAIN, SINCE I COULDNT UNDERSTAND YOU. MY BEST FOR YOU!! PATTY

Anne: Bruce works every day on getting his language back. He has developed an interesting vocabulary, but Speech Therapist advised us early on to learn his language because certain words just weren't coming back. That works well for all of us close to him. I know the kind of effort and determination this takes and how exhausting. But I applaud your hard work and effort. Debbie

Hi all,

Thanks all for your kind words. I have two (or more) fights from the stroke. Learning my writing skill the second time around, and my limp. Limp goes bye-bye for 2 days and goes back for 3 days on and on and on. I am walk around my house and exercise my walk muscles now. ♥ I will never give up

Annie

Good job Annie! I know you are a great fighter!! Bill has always had one good day, then a bad day....I don't know why, but it is what it is!

Hi Annie, welcome to the site. Good for you, dont let the stroke take anything else away from you. If it gets too hard you are always welcome here. We will give you support, encouragement and information you need to go on. Here are some links to some good information about stroke. All the best to you,

mc

A survivor's Bill of Rights

http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?showtopic=2094

The Five Stages of Grief

http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?showtopic=857

A Letter From Your Brain

http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?showtopic=83

Classic Postings and Advice

http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?showforum=23

misc. info

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/stroke/stroke_recovery.html

Caregivers’ Bill of Rights

http://www.strokeboard.net/index.php?showtopic=781

Caregivers’ handbook

http://www.strokecar...rg/handbook.htm.

When i found out i had had my stroke, i picked up the phone on my bedside, and all I could say was"Help" to my roommates. Now to mention it, I dont know how I managed to know the phone # to make the call, but it did work. My speech has improved so much now almost 4 years later. So there is HOPE. And lots of encouragement right here anytime you need it. :)

hostlinda

Hi Linda

When I had my stroke and was home, I write a letter on my computer to my best friend - NO ENGLISH - I'm stroke

language. Now to mention it, I dont know how I managed to click it to my friend, but it did work.♥

The brain is so awesome !!!!!

Take Care,

Annie

Hi Annie and welcome!

The last time I saw my GP, I reported my most recent modest incremental recovery. She expressed surprise -- like many doctors, she has been trained that what doesn't return quickly will never come back....

I told her that I had heard of a few people who never saw any recovery. People who just parked a wheelchair in front of the TV for the rest of their life and never tried to get any better, who didn't believe recovery was possible -- probably because that was what their docyor told them.... Self-fulfilling prophecy?

Remember "Galaxy Quest"? "Never give up! Never surrender!"

PennGwyn

Anne: I took Bruce with me today to my hairdresser and to get new glasses for me. My hairdresser now also does Bruce, but he did not want a cut this go round. Normally for a Debbie day, I would have had a caregiver. In all fairness, honey, it is sometimes nice to just go and take care of me.

This required an in and out of the car, with the WC twice. Not a wait in the car issue. But he knows all of these people and Speech mentioned early on that interaction and discussion with strangers or others than me and the caregivers was important. I kept this in mind when scheduling the caregivers for the week.

I can't tell you the difference in him when he gets into discussions with others. All of these people know what we have been going through and are so supportive. Make such an effort to talk to Bruce and engage him. And the number of complete strangers who offer to help, and again engaging Bruce in discussion. I am so glad I decided to do this. Most days I concentrate on the physical recovery, because that is so important and Bruce needs much encouragement and push in this area. But conversation is natural and he must respond out of politeness. I no longer answer for him..

At the glasses store, they had a poodle, very friendly and very smart. He even talked to the dog. You take every opportunity to improve speech and language recall. It just works. Best, Debbie

• 1 month later...

Good for you, aclarke. Your Aphasia will get better with time. With practice and repetition mine got way better. It's frustrating not being able to talk or express yourself. But with hard work you can get most, if not all your speech back. When I call my friends cell phone they asked if you wanna hear your message. So I chose that option and I sounded like me, only I spoke slower. I have a female friend who comes to my house and she cuts my hair every three or four months. She says every time she comes over I'm speaking way better than the last time she was over. But it takes practice and repetition and perserverance and a lotta hard work to gain your speech back.

When I first stroked and was in rehab, I could only speak Spanish. Funny thing is I wasn't even fluent in Spanish. They showed me a picture of a table and I said "mesa". They showed me a picture with the color red and I said "rojo". I only found out later that speech and language, through my research, that it comes from different areas of the brain. And, much to my therapists chagrin, I didn't forget my swear words. That must come from different parts of the brain also! At least, I think so.

Sorry if this late post is no longer relevant.....

Recently, in the last six months or so, Bruce is working through his frustration to finally work towards find the words instead of saying "I don't know. " We hear "I don't know" much less frequently and personally I thing regaining his speak is a true goal of Bruce's and he know finally understands that quitting is not the answer. He works through his protocols by himself and gets where he wants to be sooner. We do little prompting anymore. He has heard it enough to know that we are going to use the speech protocols we were all taught. And regardless of whether or not he believed they would work early on in therapy, over the past three years has figured out that all the rest of us do believe in them and use them all the time.

Speech said this would happen, but like with all things stroke, just takes time and repetition. Debbie

Archived