Ups and Downs of One-Handed Cooking

CagedBird

Hello everyone, as some of you may already know from my blog I am doing the 21-day Daniel Fast so I have been cooking my own meals every day. There is something about cooking that makes me feel so independent! Since meat is restricted on the Daniel Fast, I spend a lot of time chopping up vegetables. The one handed cutting board I use is great. One side has spikes which I use to peel my apples. I just push the apple into the spikes then use my right hand to use the knife and peel as the spikes holds the apple still. The other side of the cutting board was a little frustrating. A few times I forgot to lock the piece down that holds the food in place so my apple went flying off the counter. I also had to get my aunt to come over and help me mince my garlic and chop my onions really small since that wouldve taken me forever using one hand. I will have to look into something else to help chop small pieces. Another downside is I think my can opener on my one touch bottle opener broke so I have to wait until my dad gets home to help using the regular can opener. I also let him do dishes since we dont use our dish washer and its pretty hard tiring trying to wash dshes one-handedly. I also tried using my left hand to hold the table spoon as I pour ingredients on it but I usually spill stuff from the spoon since my arm is not used to holding up that high up. This morning was the worst. I did the easiest meal, breakfast smoothie. All I had to do was add my fruits, soy milk. ice and turn the blender on. Unfortunately after it finished as I was pouring it into my glass, the top came off and it spilled everywhere. If only I couldve used my left hand to hold the top in place. But I didnt get discouraged. Maybe it was a hint that next time I should actually try to incorporate my left hand. I have the ability to raise my arm and I can used my balled up hand to push against the top right? I am going to try it and update :) All in all, even though cooking is very time consuming and would probably be easier with 2 hands, I am proud of myself and I really feel a sense of accomplishment every time I sit down and eat my meals

Katrina, all I can say here is practice, practice and more practice! My wife still do the kitchen stuff I just fix my cheerios, nuts, bananas and raisins plus pour my own milk in the bowl.

I can and do the microwave thing for my oatmeal and cream of wheat or heat up anything she leaves for me to eat. But cooking, I don't. However, I can BBQ like a King! :rolleyes:biggrin2.gif :beer: That's my name don't you know!!!!

I'm proud of your courage and you too, you have come so far and you're still achieving more things without fear.

Don't stop now but be safe, OK?

Hi CagedBird, I'm Julie, caregiver to my spouse Larry. He has left sided weakness and loss of movement in left arm and hand. He only came in the kitchen to empty the trash as I cooked and did the dishes even before his stroke. Now I do all. I was wondering if you could manage something like an onion chopper. I have one from Pampered Chef but there are other brands I'm sure. It's best to put the onion in quarters but you just put the onion in the lid or a chopping board and cover with the chopper and chop away. I haven't tried it with garlic but it might work too.

You are such a good example to us all with your recovery and determination. :You-Rock:

Julie

oh cagy bird you are such a determine lady and an inspirational with all of your har work and determine to get it right and to make it easy enjoy your meals cagy bird you have earned it thank you for the inspiration

HI.. THAT IS GREAT THAT YOU ARE COOKING. I TRY TO COOK TOO AS MUCH AS I CAN. I DON T LIKE TO USE A SHARP KNIFE ANY MORE SO ILL HAVE MY SON OR HUSBAND DICE FOR ME IF I KNOW AHEAD OF TIME WHAT IM COOKING FOR A WEEK..ONIONS, CABBAGE, CARROTS ECT. SOME ONE ON THIS SITE GAVE ME A GREAT IDEA OF PUTTING A TOWEL UNDER A BOWL IF IM USING A HAND MIXER OR UNDER A PLATE IF IM BUTTERING BREAD. GREAT TO HEAR! PATTY

Katrina a hint that works for me with measuring spoons

I set them on a little plate with the handle on the edge to stabilize it

Also U can buy a jar of minced garlic at the grocery store - usually in produce

keep trying esp if U enjoy it

Susan

Katrina I use alot of the non-slip shelf lining used mostly in Travel trailers & RVs - Walmart with shelf lining material Cheap - the thicker the better place a heavy mixing bowl on it & it stays put with Elec micer & hand mixing - also great to put jars on to open lid ot a big jar Mayo, Peanut butter U put a piece on each leg squeeze tight & open with good hand

it really helps

Susan

Katrina:

More you will cook & try, easier it will become. I have been cooking for my family for past 4 years one handed, and it has become easier & easier, though I do take help of my hubby when he is around, but when he is not, I do it myself, yes it takes longer time then it would have with 2 hands, and sometimes its frustrating too, but at the end of the day it's all worthwhile effort. for dishwashing I use brush to scrub clean pots and pans & then putting soap & then cleaning job becomes much easier with one hand.

Asha

I made soup today. It was progresso so it had a pull-tab type lid on it so I could open it. Any suggestions how to get it all out of the can one-armed? It was beef stew and I really wanted it. My wife left me for a couple hours and I would've like her to see how independent I could be. I spilled it all over the stove which sits below the microwave. We have an electric stove and it got in the circular part of the burner. I wiped it up the best I could. But, I KNEW it wasn't wiped good enough to pass my wife's muster. I need help. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I made soup today. It was progresso so it had a pull-tab type lid on it so I could open it. Any suggestions how to get it all out of the can one-armed? It was beef stew and I really wanted it. My wife left me for a couple hours and I would've like her to see how independent I could be. I spilled it all over the stove which sits below the microwave. We have an electric stove and it got in the circular part of the burner. I wiped it up the best I could. But, I KNEW it wasn't wiped good enough to pass my wife's muster. I need help. Any suggestions would be helpful.

If you use a large pan or bowl, you can put the can unopened into the pan- then open it. If is spills- who cares it is just spilling into the pan. If you can't maneuver with the size pan you have-open it and pour it in the sink. If it spills- no mess.

Hi Katrina, I have been cooking since my stroke, 27 years next march so I have learned a few tricks. for peeling apples, I found the spikes on my board makes the apples turn brown so here is what I do with apples and potatoes. I cut them in half, set the flat side down and peel away. I have a one touch can opener and its great. To mince onions or other foods I use an electric chopper. A food processor works good too plus you can cut up meat, eggs etc. with it. I find the spikes work great with peeling onions and carrots. My cutting board has a feature where you can butter bread or toast as the ledge of the board are higher on that side and it holds the slice for buttering. If I can help you with anything to do with cooking or other stuff, I would love to share what I found works for me. You can IM me. Happy cooking Katrina.

mc

If you use a large pan or bowl, you can put the can unopened into the pan- then open it. If is spills- who cares it is just spilling into the pan. If you can't maneuver with the size pan you have-open it and pour it in the sink. If it spills- no mess.

Thanks for the tip. That's my wife said, "You could've used a bigger pan". Now, if I could just spread the peanut butter...........

-phildogg

Katrina how are you coming along with the one handed cooking?? And how is the weak hand, the left one doing with the support brace?

Be careful and don't get cut or burned while you are experimenting in the kitchen, I hope someone is nearby when you are in the kitchen doing the cooking. :rolleyes: :yadayada: :cocktail:

Hi Katrina, I have been cooking since my atroke, 27 years next march so I have learned a few tricks. for peeling apples, I found the spikes on my board makes the apples turn brown so here is what I do with apples and potatoes. I cut them in half, set the flat side down and peel away. I have a one touch can opener and its great. To mince onions or other foods I use an electric chopper. A food processor works good too plus you can cut up meat, eggs etc. with it. I find the spikes work great with peeling onions and carrots. My cutting board has a feature where you can butter bread or toast as the ledge of the board are higher on that side and it holds the slice for buttering. If I can help you with anything to do with cooking or other stuff, I would love to share what I found works for me. You can IM me. Happy cooking Katrina.

mc

Hey mc,

Any suggestions on where I could get one of those cutting boards so I can apply peanut-butter. It would make my life so much easier if I could make myself a peanut-butter 'n jelly sandwich once in while. My therapist told my wife to buy the kind of jelly in the squeeze bottle. But some peanut-butter would be nice once in while........

-phildogg

• 1 month later...
Guest furiawill

Thanks for the tip. That's my wife said, "You could've used a bigger pan". Now, if I could just spread the peanut butter...........

-phildogg

phil,

THERE ARE A LOT OF GADJETS ON SAMMONS PRESTON, WEBSITE AT:www.sammonsprestom.com. i hope this helps

will...

oh katrina, i am so happy for you that you are able to do that you should be proud of yourself that is quite the accomplishment you saw that you like cooking so you investigate how best to do that and then you learned how and then you post to let all of the members know what you have to do you are truely aninspirational to us all

-phildogg

Phil I keep the peanut butter in a cupboard so it is soft and spreadable. If you dont have a cutting board with raised sides to butter bread you can use a clean dishcloth, sprinkle water on it, (not too much because you will get soggy bread) after sprinkling water, you turn it wet side down and butter your bread on the dishcloth. Works for me when I am somewhere without my equipment. Hope it will work for you too.

mc

Katrina,

How did you make out on the Daniel Fast? How did your one hand cooking turn out? Were you able to wear the brace for any time much? I just saw this post turn up again and still getting comments on it so thought I'd ask how everything turned out for you! :big_grin:

I hope you are OK and still getting better and the left hand is coming around to working at least some! :blah_blah:

-phildogg

phil,

THERE ARE A LOT OF GADJETS ON SAMMONS PRESTON, WEBSITE AT:www.sammonsprestom.com. i hope this helps

will...

Thanks, Will, I saved it to my favorites so I can look at it in the near future.

-phildogg

-phildogg

Phil I keep the peanut butter in a cupboard so it is soft and spreadable. If you dont have a cutting board with raised sides to butter bread you can use a clean dishcloth, sprinkle water on it, (not too much because you will get soggy bread) after sprinkling water, you turn it wet side down and butter your bread on the dishcloth. Works for me when I am somewhere without my equipment. Hope it will work for you too.

mc

I'll try that buttering the bread thing when I go out to eat for my steak dinner on Sunday after church. I've had a taste for a big ole steak. So after much prodding and nagging, I'm finally going for that steak. We are going to Longhorn for my twin brother and I's birthday on the thirteenth. There's gonna be 14 people in all, so all the attention won't be on me. I already ordered that cutting board and one-hand nail clippers. My wife won't do them for me. She says I have to learn to do 'em on my own. I'm waiting for them to arrive.

Thanks for the tips!

-phildogg

• 1 month later...

I do all the cooking again. It's gotten much easier and less exhausting. For cutting ease, sharp knives are #1. Dull knives are a danger and frustrating to boot. I also use an ulu which you rock with one hand. http://www.theulufactory.com/

more

Pizza cutters roll over herbs and other things you need finely cut.. also, once my coarsely chopped lettuce is in the bowl, I use kitchen scissors to make it smaller for easier eating. I use shelf liner like others suggested to spread anything on bread or anchor a bowl while I'm stirring something. Bread tabs are my nemesis. I use dollar store plastic clips on any package I need to re-close and spend the extra money and get the plastic storage bags with the slide zippers. I use cheap white uncoated paper plates if I'm just cutting one thing and don't want to have to wash the cutting board. My husband has promised to sink a couple stainless nails in a cutting board for me. Cutting cooked meat will be possible with that. I cut raw meat by partly freezing or thawing it. The 1/2 frozen texture keeps it from wiggling on the board.

And yeah, I'm tons messier in the kitchen now and theres always something on the floor but I'm so happy to be able to make stuff, I don't mind.

I know what you mean I love cooking but just sort of stopped after the stroke. I've always been scrappy so i'll putter around in the kitchen using my knees and normal right hand to oprn jars ect and I have my hubby dice veggies as I don't have a spikey cutting board but I think I'll be getting one after reading about tthem. I cooked last night after I got home from work and I was really proud of myself I think it's a good thing that you're proud of yourself for cooking. its hard to do 1 handed. So, Kudos for fighting through it. Im going to try and cook more. its just healthirer for our family and it makes me feel great :o) My favorite thing to do when Im in the need of feeling independant is to hail a taxi in Manhattan. I do it every week after therapy. My husband scolded me once during the winter months for not calling a service and waiting for them, indoors before going out. I oold him if I were 'normal' I would've walked out and hailed a taxi... I wouldn't have called a service and waited inside so that's exactly whaat I did I go out and hail my cab and when I get into the back seat I feel so good about me :o) So independent and I love it :o) So keep cooking I know I will :o) ciao

Ory

• 1 month later...

I just found this post again. I have a very bad habit of making a topic, reading the responses, then forgetting to reply. Sorry. My fast went well. I completed the 21 day fast. I have since found out that I can buy onions and peppers already chopped. I think the fact that I couldn't eat meat made cooking a lot easier. I don't remember really incorporating my bad hand. I didn't want to risk making a bigger mess. I cooked by myself but it was mainly just chopping up peppers and onions then heating up vegetables on the stove. My aunts came over and helped with my stuffed peppers since I had to cut them open and stuff the filling in them then put them in and remove them from the stove without spilling the tomato juice. Thanks for the tips everyone.

• 3 months later...
hello, where can I purchase the one handed cutting board, I need one, thanks for the advice. Lpink

Hello everyone, as some of you may already know from my blog I am doing the 21-day Daniel Fast so I have been cooking my own meals every day. There is something about cooking that makes me feel so independent! Since meat is restricted on the Daniel Fast, I spend a lot of time chopping up vegetables. The one handed cutting board I use is great. One side has spikes which I use to peel my apples. I just push the apple into the spikes then use my right hand to use the knife and peel as the spikes holds the apple still. The other side of the cutting board was a little frustrating. A few times I forgot to lock the piece down that holds the food in place so my apple went flying off the counter. I also had to get my aunt to come over and help me mince my garlic and chop my onions really small since that wouldve taken me forever using one hand. I will have to look into something else to help chop small pieces. Another downside is I think my can opener on my one touch bottle opener broke so I have to wait until my dad gets home to help using the regular can opener. I also let him do dishes since we dont use our dish washer and its pretty hard tiring trying to wash dshes one-handedly. I also tried using my left hand to hold the table spoon as I pour ingredients on it but I usually spill stuff from the spoon since my arm is not used to holding up that high up. This morning was the worst. I did the easiest meal, breakfast smoothie. All I had to do was add my fruits, soy milk. ice and turn the blender on. Unfortunately after it finished as I was pouring it into my glass, the top came off and it spilled everywhere. If only I couldve used my left hand to hold the top in place. But I didnt get discouraged. Maybe it was a hint that next time I should actually try to incorporate my left hand. I have the ability to raise my arm and I can used my balled up hand to push against the top right? I am going to try it and update smile.gif All in all, even though cooking is very time consuming and would probably be easier with 2 hands, I am proud of myself and I really feel a sense of accomplishment every time I sit down and eat my meals