Stroke emotions & effects

Guest hostsmurf

Guest hostsmurf

Here is another article that i feel a stroker and caregivers would benefit from

Thanks again for talking the time to read

Smurf :)

Changes in Emotion, Behavior and Thinking after Stroke Your Brain

After a stroke, you may experience changes in the ways you feel, act and think. These changes may be temporary or long lasting. You may or may not experience these problems.

Remember that the changes in thoughts, emotions and behavior are casued by physical damage to the brain.

Possible Changes with Stroke on Right Side of the Brain:

* Talks a lot or interrupts others

* Short attention span

* Makes poor safety decisions, endangers self

* Loses awareness and sensation in left side of the body

* Has trouble figuring things out or solving problems

* Cries or laughs easily

* Acts impulsively and without thought

Possible Changes with Stroke on Left Side of the Brain

* Has trouble speaking or understanding

* Thinks illogically

* Confuses right and left

* Unable to see things on the right side

* Gets frustrated easily

* Becomes compulsive and slow

* Has trouble with math, reading or spelling

Thinking Changes

You may experience more or less change in your thinking ability. This can depend on the size and location of the stroke, and the condition of your brain before the stroke. A large stroke may cause great changes in thinking skills. A very tiny one may barely affect a person at all. A person with a previous stroke, head injury, health problem or a history of alcohol abuse may experience greater changes.

After a stroke many people have trouble remembering things that just happened. They may think more slowly. They may have trouble concentrating.

When all else fails, laugh and keep things in perspective.

Emotional Changes

Two types of emotional reaction are common after a stroke.

* Decreased control. You may find you cry easily and for no apparent reason.

* Depression. This may be a reaction to the other changes you experience after stroke. It may also result from changes in brain chemicals called neurotransmitters.

People react to the effects of a stroke in many ways. The most common feelings are anxiety, frustration and depression. All these feelings are normal. People who are used to taking care of themselves suddenly need help in the most basic ways. Some people may not be aware of their condition in the beginning. They may become depressed as they realize their deficits.

Emotional Lability

A stroke can occur in the area of the brain that regulates emotions. When this happens you may express emotion in unexpected ways. You may change quickly from laughter to tears or from angry to sad. You may have long crying spells. This is called emotional lability. It usually lessens with time, but may not completely go away. This emotional lability is hard both for you and for your family and friends.

Sometimes the emotion displayed seems inappropriate. It may be unrelated to what is happening around you. You might be talking about what to order for breakfast and suddenly begin to cry or laugh. A person who was easy-going may begin to get angry very quickly. A person who never used profanity may begin to swear frequently.

If you have emotional lability, it may help to stop the conversation and take a few deep breaths. Some people find it helpful to change the subject. If you are able, it may help your companions if you explain your situation. You might say that your emotions have been affected by your stroke. You might explain that sometimes you cry or laugh or even yell without meaning to.

Family members and friends can help with emotional lability by:

* Telling the stroke survivor you understand

* Changing the subject of conversation

* Asking if the emotion expressed reflects the person's true feelings

Changes in Behavior

You may also experience changes in the ways you behave after a stroke. You may find that you:

* Are unaware of inappropriate behavior

* Do not care about yourself or others

* Dislike changes in your routine

* Make demands on others

* Focus on yourself

Coping with Changes in Thoughts, Feelings and Actions

There are many "right" ways to handle these changes. Here are a few:

* Simplify tasks and break them down into simple steps.

* Set up a schedule and stay with it.

* Reduce distractions.

* Turn off TV when doing tasks.

* Focus on the positives.

* Use strengths to compensate for weakness.

* Talk with support staff including the social worker and psychologist.

As You Recover

Worrying and depression are common after a stroke. However, you should feel better as time passes. If you do not feel better, and if your relationships begin to suffer, please seek professional help. Personal counseling, sometimes with careful use of medicine, can help. The psychologist on your rehab team can talk with you about your feelings and recommend things to help you.

Also, the recreational therapist has information on "Stroke Copers." Many stroke survivors and their families have found this local support group very helpful.

The Role of Family and Friends

Family and friends are an important part of your rehabilitation program. They can provide continuous support while you recover. Your family can help the staff set treatment goals. They can also identify your challenges at home and in the community.

A severe stroke can affect everyone. The emotional, physical and financial stress can be severe. You, your family and your friends may experience many feelings associated with grieving.

Grief

People naturally grieve for what has been lost. Most people will experience various stages of grief after a stroke.

TALK WITH YOUR REHAB TEAM

The rehab staff can help your family work through the grieving process.

Guilt

People may feel guilty. They may believe they could have or should have done something to prevent your stroke. They may blame themselves for not recognizing the warning signs of a stroke. They may feel they should have gotten their loved one into treatment more quickly. Such feelings of guilt do not help your recovery and may actually interfere.

Overprotection

Family and friends need to support and encourage you without being overly cautious. Over-protection - whether because of guilt, pity or love - will slow your physical and emotional adjustment.

Denial

Denying the reality of the stroke is another common grief reaction. Denial prevents a person from moving through the grieving process. A person might pretend the stroke did not happen or believe that full function will be regained. This will not help you recover.

People in denial may direct their anger and frustration at hospital staff because they failed to completely heal the stroke. Denial can lead to depression and withdrawal. This can cause people to neglect their personal needs and ignore work responsibilities, friends and family.

Acceptance

With time, you and your family will accept the changes that have occurred. Acceptance completes the grieving process. The staff can help your family move through the grieving process. This will help your recovery.

TIP

It may be hard to watch your loved one struggle. Allow a person recovering from stroke to try anyway.

Some Ideas about Stress for Caregivers

Caring for a stroke survivor creates stress for family and friends. A person you care for experiences a stroke. Within seconds, your whole world changes. The speed and amount of recovery is unknown. The future holds so many questions.

* Can I really do this?

* Am I doing enough or too much?

* Can I physically help my loved one?

* Will I ever learn all of the care tasks?

* Will I be able to take care of myself?

The last question is an important one. You must take care of your needs in order to care for your family member. You must balance your needs with those of the stroke survivor.

Stressed caregivers feel angry, guilty, depressed, anxious and alone. Many times, caregivers wait too long before they admit their own exhaustion. By then it is harder to find ways to help.

Caregiver stress, when ignored, can lead to abuse and neglect of the stroke survivor. Signs of caregiver stress include:

* Problems with sleep or eating patterns.

* Moodiness and irritability.

* Increased use of medicines or alcohol to help you relax.

* Flare up of your own medical problems or a new illness.

* Chronic fatigue.

* Being impatient or rough with the stroke survivor.

Please rest in the first few days after your loved one goes to the rehab unit. During this time the rehab team will be attending to your loved one. You can feel comfortable taking the time to rest and catch up on chores.

Focus on the positive!

Self Care for Caregivers

If you notice yourself feeling stressed, please ask for help. Asking for help or allowing others to assist you is not a sign of weakness. Share information with them. They may be able to ease your stress.

Keep talking with the stroke survivor. Remember that this person you care for is still able to make decisions and do many things. Refrain from taking over. Encourage him or her to do everything possible, even if it requires extra time.

Your own needs must come first on a regular basis. Make time regularly to rest, have fun and exercise. You might take a walk outside, telephone a friend, go shopping or take a long bath.

Sometimes a stroke survivor can be impatient and demanding. It is important to set limits.

TIPS for Caregivers

Don't be afraid to say "No" when a demand is unreasonable.

Support groups for caregivers are a good place to find information and emotional help. The recreational therapist can provide information on our local "Stroke Copers" group. Many people find professional counseling helpful.

Suggestions for reducing caregiver stress:

* Ask for help.

* Keep communication open.

* Maintain your balance.

* Look for time to rest, have fun and exercise.

* Set limits.

This was good info, my friend! I appreciate it...Will share with hubby, Mike....

I have been trying to encourage him to seek out a support group like this....

Never say, never.....I'm still waiting :rolleyes:

You've only failed if you failed to try! 

Thanks so much again..... :)

Happy New Year To You

Guest pprovost

Thank you Smurf!

This is so helpful. All of it has applied to me at one time or another in my six years post stroke. We have learned the lessons by trial and error over the years but rereading this article from time to time will help others to see the potholes in the road ahead of time

Boy This was good!

Pat

Thank you for taking the time to post the article.....my father ha some of those issues...and even thos I live them with him..it is still nice to refresh the info...plus I forwarded it to a friend I met online that is now going thru her father having a stroke...

Again thanks...for sharing

Vickie

• 3 years later...

Archived