Daily Chat Sessions in the Stroke Survivors Chat Room - ALL WELCOME - Afternoons on Monday through Friday from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm EST and Evenings on Monday through Friday from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm EST. Sunday in the Newbies Chat Room - NEWBIES WELCOME - Every Sunday from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm EST. Tuesday in the Stroke Caregivers Chat Room - STROKE CAREGIVERS WELCOME - Every Tuesday from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm EST.

Welcome to StrokeNet Message Board

Welcome to the StrokeNet Message Board , like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In. We require that you complete the personal information. This information displays in your profile but is only visible to you and senior administrators. Once you register, you will receive an email from us. You must click the validation link in the email. You cannot post until we have reviewed and approved your registration. This prevents spammers and advertisers from entering our stroke community. We take pride in having a safe and hassle-free community! If you can see this message, and you are a member, it means you ARE NOT logged in!
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Attend one of our daily stroke support chat sessions
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Click on the Contact Us tab if you need help or have questions
Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

SLOW weight battle

8 replies to this topic

#1 InfertilityMom

• Members - under 46
  • 88 posts
  • Stroke Assoc: Survivor
  • Stroke Anniversary (first stroke) :10-25-2011
  • Stroke Anniversary (second stroke) :10-25-2011
  • Stroke Anniversary (third stroke) :11-01-2011
  • Interests:I love Jesus with all my broken heart.
    Published author, working on 3 more manuscripts.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

I've been doing 2-3 hours of weekly water therapy at our local gym for 14 solid months. Along with careful eating. I'm down only about 6 pounds in over a year. I'm glad it is finally some loss after about 50 pounds gain, but it is still so discouragingly slow. Thought?

#2 fking

Maximus Mentorus

• Members - over 45 A - G
  • 8,317 posts
  • Stroke Anniversary (first stroke) :01-15-2004
  • Interests:I enjoy TV, my computer, cell phone, current events, and sports, I'm content at home in my easy chair keeping my Grand Daughter's puppy while she's in school and my wife's at work! I'm enjoying the life I got left

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Perhaps something you are doing is not right because others here are losing weight on their diets and exercise programs. I'm even losing and not trying but I'm not eating as much as I once did a while back. Even if you just walk daily that should result in pounds lost. I walk some with the little puppy then we ride on the scooter when I get tired.

My knees are not working right and it's very hard for me to stand up from sitting.

#3 ken27

Mentor

• 289 posts
  • Stroke Anniversary (first stroke) :09-25-2008
  • Interests:sports,history, enginnering and helping people

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hi Mom, Can you ride a stationary bike, this is a great way to lose weight. Talk to your doctor because if you been doing water therapy and eating well, you should be losing weight, maybe you can push a little more in the pool, like walking in the shallow end or doing some exercises in the gym if you are able to again check with your doctor.

#4 becky1

Senior Mentor

• 880 posts
  • Stroke Anniversary (first stroke) :02-03-2007

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Losing weight after a stroke can be so frustrating, I agree. For one thing, we're less active than we used to be. For another, our meds. may cause us to gain. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised at my last doc appt. to learn that I'd lost 15 lbs. since I saw him 6 mos. before. Since I'm confined to a wheelchair, I can't exercise fully, a good cardio workout. So, I did what I could, and changed my diet. Low-fat everything, no sugar, or red meat- mostly chicken or fish. And lost 15 lbs. in 6 mos. with very little exercise! I'm not a real strict dieter, either- I still have sugar in my coffee, for instance. But, I still need to lose weight, and, for that, Ithink I need to exercise more. Try looking more closely at your diet, and exercising more. Good luck. Becky

#5 nancyl

Chief Mentor

• Members over 45 N - Z
  • 1,822 posts
  • Stroke Assoc: Caregiver
  • Stroke Anniversary (first stroke) :03-12-2011
Donator

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

are you on any meds that keep you from losing weight like prednisone ??? the other thing is the same exersize everyday - just becomes the normal for the body so one has to "change up" the type of exersize they do ... cardio one day, weight the next, rest stretch ect...just my thoughts...

#6 Pamwill

Mentor

• Members over 45 N - Z
  • 168 posts
  • Stroke Anniversary (first stroke) :01-20-2012
Donator

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

I’m struggling with weight loss as well. It feels like my metabolism has stopped. I talked with my doctor and he didn’t find anything that would hinder me from losing so I just keep plugging away. I gained 20 pounds and lost 5 so far. I recently started a low carb diet and running a couple days a week and that’s starting to help. Even though I’m not losing I’m not gaining so I know that as long as I continue to eat well and exercise I will eventually lose this last 15 pounds. I have read some articles where you have to shock the body, for instance, eat a lot one day and then eat hardly anything the next day, and the same goes for exercise. Problem is most of kept shocking it with over eating and never stopped. lol

#7 TahoeGirl

Associate Member

• Members over 45 N - Z
  • 43 posts
  • Stroke Anniversary (first stroke) :01-03-2013

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

Yes, I've been battling the serious huge muffin top. I lost about 10-15lbs after the stroke, then started Zoloft, and have slowly crept up to my pants being so tight. But, I need to cut out the
wine and eat better. I do boot camp 3x/ week but think I need to walk daily on other days. It's very frustrating but it will happen.

#8 ksmith

Forum Moderator - Young Stroke Survivors and Brainstem Stroke

• Management
  • 2,143 posts
  • Stroke Anniversary (first stroke) :02-24-2009
  • Interests:Mother of two great boys!!
    supportive family
    I enjoy life!!
    appreciate every moment
    Facebook Moderator
Donator

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

I am in the same boat. I've tried ALL kinds of diets as well as fitness programs. My neurologist told me not to focus on my weight, I've gained a whole person but with the medicine that I'm on or have been on, it is counter productive to try to loss weight right now. Frankly, he's right. I've seen a slow progress but the main thing is to focus on inches lost not so much pounds. We all know muscle weighs more than fat.. I say that because I need to hear that too. I know that but I'm the crazy person who wants to weighs herself everyday. Some clothes are looser ..but having said that, when I loose inches my stomach fat is more bulgy. I have balance abd vertigo issues that prevent me from doing a lot. ( since stroke)

I'm REALLY having a hard time with this for I have Body Dismorphia http://en.wikipedia....orphic_disorder so this has been a struggle for me even before the stroke. I understand how you feel. I've spent money I should have saved just to try anything with that easy fix. I know stroke isn't easy, If I can cope.. you got this.
Mine was caused by :
Teasing or criticism

It has been suggested that teasing or criticism regarding appearance could play a contributory role in the onset of BDD. While it is unlikely that teasing causes BDD, likewise, extreme levels of childhood abuse, bullying and psychological torture are often rationalized and dismissed as "teasing," sometimes leading to traumatic stress in vulnerable persons.[28] Around 60% of people with BDD report frequent or chronic childhood teasing.[28]

I was abused in my first marriage so now all those insecurities are resurfacing as a result of weight gain and is a stress in my marriage :( My perception not his)

#9 susanmarshall

• Members over 45 H - M
  • 821 posts
  • Stroke Anniversary (first stroke) :02-21-1996
  • Interests:Music, my PC, reading, my dog, crochet
Donator

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

View Postbecky1, on 26 October 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

Losing weight after a stroke can be so frustrating, I agree. For one thing, we're less active than we used to be. For another, our meds. may cause us to gain.. Becky

Hi,
I agree with Becky, and I know my almost sedentary lifestyle now, and some of my medications, have made it extremely difficult to lose. One thing I have decided is to exercise and eat properly, and if there's any weight lost, it's a bonus.
As stroke survivors, we have to adapt to so many changes; having to adapt to weight gain can be an added slap to the face.

Susan :gym:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users