Don't like to admit it but......

We accept that a stroke messes around with the brain but after 6 years of working out how to cope with the disadvantages I have to admit that there were some gains the stroke gave me. Firstly is my loss of tinnitus. This I had had since I was very young and had got used to its presence despite having music as my main hobby. It was some time after the stroke hit that I realised it had gone, and it has not returned.

The second thing was headaches, again something I had regularly since about seven years old. It developed into raging migraine between twenty and forty and after that just became a fairly regular visitor easily controlled with aspirin. Suddenly a few months ago I realised I'd not had one since before the stroke. I do get the odd tightness around the eyes which I accept is the nearest to an actual headache, but no throbbing headaches at all.

To eat a bar of nut chocolate was to invite mouth ulcers within minutes, now I can tuck into chocolate without problems. This may or may no have been the result of the stroke but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Deigh

• 3 weeks later...

Good read Deigh and yes there have been some what I call pluses with my stroke a bit less than 6 and 1/2 years ago. The one that comes to mind and I guess is so important to our daily functioning is this. I can easily separate the the bull sh_ _ from what really matters. I really understand now much the human race likes to hear the. sound of their own voice whether they know what they are talking about or not for one thing. Your musical life always makes me want to tell you about all the musical acts I saw in the Detroit area as a young man. Great on the ear ringing and headache front. What a relief that must be for you to have off your plate. 

i have slowed down and become an observer of life more, It makes me think about my life and aging ,etc.I just passed 72 which seems crazy to me, but other than the impairments I am healthy and doing well..I just passed 72 which seems crazy to me, but other than the impairments I am healthy and doing well. I listen a lot to Deepak Chopra as i had in the past, but now he is more relevant and interesting than ever, he has a very calming voice too.Life is a struggle but is going along well.

Alan, good to hear from you, I was concerned that that medical treatment you had a few months ago may have backfired and you had handed in your dinner pail! We are all agog to hear if it has had any effects on you.

I can understand the age concern, there is a definite time in life when you weigh up what you've done and  where you are going and re-thinking things out. I'm not sure if I've got there yet but it will be another milestone when I do.

I think I've found all the problems that my stroke left with me and still spend most of my time working on my defects. Last year's  Covid scare curtailed my daily walks and I had to miss  out the meetings with my friends working in the local op-shops. They were always ready to chat and since they were all doing voluntary work it was a great opportunity to exercise my talking skills without wasting anyone's time. Missing out on this has had a detrimental effect on my ability to converse and early this week after climbing some steps to call in on a WINNS outlet with a problem I found myself out of breath and unable to talk cohesively. I had to call my wife on my mobile and have her explain to the representative my needs! Most uncomfortable!

Deigh

It's like the thing they say about arthritis. "Use it or lose it". Covid lockdowns set me backwards on a few things too.