Gabapentin = how long before it works?

I haven't been on here for a few years because everything has been going well, adapted to my disabilities. However, a few months ago, I started having bad mouth pain-- like blisters were lining my cheek inside, and tongue hurts in several places making it hard to eat.

Doc put me on gabapentin a month ago, 100 mg. 3 times a day, blisters felt gone after about 2 weeks but tongue pain still there.

Then he upped it to 2x100 3 times a day. That was 6 days ago, and I'm still in agony.

How long before it kicks in? Or does he need to give me a higher dose? 

• 1 month later...

I am not sure your current status but this kind of medication, you have to step up slowly as well as step down slowly if you are going to ween off.  I have been on Gapapentin for my visual vertigo and nystagmus for 5 years.  Recently, I tried to ween off very slowly from 1200mg per day to nothing.  Unfortunately,  @  600mg when I started to get imbalancing problems and dizzyness.  When I attempted to increase to 1600 (the full prescription), I had night blindness.

I have to step up to 1200mg again for optimum affect which I am stepping up slowing again.

I've learned about that -- I'm up to 900mg per day and it's finally beginning to do its job.