Another carotid endarterectomy after 7 yesrs

I joined here after I had a stroke in 2014 from a 98% blocked right carotid artery. I had surgery and the numbness, etc in my arm and hand went away. For about a year or more I was extremely emotional and suffered from depression.  I was very lucky and blessed to not have any lingering deficits.  I should have taken better care of myself!! I have been on 80mg of Lipitor and 75mg plavix  but disregarded my diet after a while. 
I saw my primary Dr due to vertigo in May. I asked for a Carotid US.  I received a callback quickly following the US. My left Carotid was over90% 

blocked. Right still clean. The Dr had made me an appt with the Vascular surgeon in 2 days. (We are living in another state now) after CT and MRI WITH CONTRAST, surgery was scheduled. After waiting 2 weeks, and getting my surgery cancelled because the Dr had personal issues, I met the other surgeon in the office and liked him very much. He wanted me in surgery by Friday. It was Tuesday. I had surgery, general anesthesia, ( first time I was awake and Dr made a horizonal scar that you can’t see now) I stopped breathing during surgery. Drs say due to bronchial spasm due to my asthma. After surgery and suffering extreme headache and vomiting for 2 days, a Brain CT and then a brain MRI WAS DONE.  I had had another stroke in the area they were working. Drs say it could have been a few days before surgery when I had symptoms or during surgery. I suspect surgery as it can happen. Again I have no deficits. Emotional yes, my neck feels like it has a rope around it, l am having a difficult time getting strength back, breathlessness too. I don’t remember feeling like this before. I really don’t remember much of the surgery in 2014 which may be from the stroke. 
I would like to hear from others who have had the endarterectomy and about recovery. I am changing what I eat, how I live and I see my surgeon in 2 days. It will be 2 weeks since the surgery. Bless all of you here!

Kathy, I didn't have that kind of stroke or surgery I think that there are some who did. I just wanted to welcome you here, and wish you luck in your recovery, and finding all of the information that you are seeking Best, Becky

Hi Kathy, another one who can only offer a welcome and hope that everything goes well from here. I had a carotid artery disection that healed closed, so I no longer have a right carotid artery, they decided they was no point in trying to do surgery. Over time my other brain feeding arteries have enlarged slightly to accommodate the blood flow change.  I've lived fine like this for 11 years and the only time it caused an issue was when I had internal bleeding from a surgical procedure and was fainting every time I stood up.

The emotional stuff is probably due to the stroke it can do lots of weird things to your emotional regulation circuitry, not to mention that this sort of thing is an emotional roller coaster anyway.

All the best

-Heather

Thank you for your words! I wish you many more years of health with your one Carotid. It certainly is interesting how our bodies compensate for things.  In 2014 when I was having such emotional reactions to things, my Neurologist tried to tell me it had nothing to do with the stroke. It was here I found understanding and acceptance that it was.  

• 3 weeks later...

I was disappointed that there weren’t others to share an experience like mine. I know blocked carotid arteries are common for strokes.  It’s been a month now and my scar is healing nicely. My 33 year old son lives with us , disabled by bipolar and anxiety. I am usually fairly patient but he says I’m terriable since surgery and stroke. I have little patience and find myself angry and frustrated with him. And everything else.
thanks for listening, I needed to vent. My emotions continue to over whelm me!

kjoy 

o

Just hang around and someone will reply who has had similar experiences , there are people who have had this kind of emotional change. I know from being part of a Stroke Recovery group that each experience is unique but many have something in common. Most doctors have very few younger stroke survivors on their books so are often ignorant of the after effects being emotional as well as physical. Wish they would get some training to bring themselves up to date.

3 hours ago, kjoy said:

I am usually fairly patient but he says I’m terriable since surgery and stroke. I have little patience and find myself angry and frustrated with him. And everything else.
thanks for listening, I needed to vent. My emotions continue to over whelm me!

Many of us relate to what you describe here. It sounds like you are probably no longer the doting parent able to adjust your life to his whenever he wants you to. This is normal and healthy, you are allowed to be a bit "selfish" at this stage of your recovery. But do remember that stroke will change all sorts of relationships and patterns within a family, and he may just have to learn to adapt. Although your changes will also have a tendency to trigger his anxiety too, so you'll both need to adjust to new patterns. Welcome to the roller coaster. As I just said in another thread, don't be ashamed to lie on the floor and howl if you find it helps.  Sometimes surrendering to the emotions is what's needed.

Hang in there, it does get better, and if the emotions are getting too much for you, talk to your doctor about drugs for emotional lability control.

-Heather

Heather, thank you for caring and saying those words. They really helped! 

On 6/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, kathyjoy said:

I would like to hear from others who have had the endarterectomy and about recovery

Hi Kathy, actually I didn't mean to purposely neglect your thread concerns. When I read that you would like to hear from others who have had the endarterectomy and their recovery experiences I elected to defer to those who have. My event was from an aneurysm that ruptured and subsequent stroke during the surgery. I did however send up a prayer on your behalf. Though I can certainly relate to stroke symptoms and deficits and the emotional turmoil that often accompanies it. I certainly share and emphasize with you there. Post stroke has immensely changed and rearranged my planned future, my relationships, restructured my normal routines and placed heavy limitations on my activities. It seems that in order to accomplish normal pre-stroke tasks, they now employ a lot of strategy and planning stemming from my post stroke limitations. It does however make me plan a well thought out procedure to get things accomplished, being more creative and using what I term my "work-arounds" that could involve a makeshift tool as a substitute for my disabled left arm and side. To "gulp" ask for help because it may require an extra set of hands and a lot of patience. These days failure is just another stepping stone to get where I need to be. Whereas I could previously accomplish normal routine tasks without as much a thought, nowadays I try and hope for the best, sure it comes with a lot of frustration, and so often I want to give up, something inside just drives me to keep on going, I know I've did it many times before, it just takes extra effort coupled with a lot of patience. 

Like many here too, my personal relationships have undergone big changes, my communication skills have taken a big hit, I find myself frustrated getting certain points or feeling across. I do my best to explain to my spouse that things have changed, they may never be the same, but I'm still me, just try to have a bit more patience and know that I'm trying my best to communicate my feelings and emotions, just different than before. Most here experience this new roller coaster of emotions. Just knowing that you're not alone helps a great deal, and always feel free to share, we're going through this together and not so different as you would normally think. I wish you well and prayer always.