My husband had e-stem on his leg and neck while in rehab, but they kinda left his arm alone. I'm looking at some products here, and wonder if anyone else has an e-stem (electricl stimulation) unit at home and was it any good. I see several things here and have no idea which to go for, they are not that expensive when you might get your arm back for your investment!

http://www.lgmedsupply.com/

I wanted to add that people are better to leave neck to the therapist because a strong contraction could suffocate one, just saying...

I can't wait to get it! I will use the e-stem on his arm & shoulder, also for drop foot. Then it has a TENS function also (duo use) which helps control pain, like he has in his lower back & shoulder. I will definitely keep you all informed, as getting use back is what we all want to see happen!

Sandy: Bruce has used Estim on arm, hand and leg almost since we got back home. As you said, the units are relatively inexpensive. The pads, however, are not. There is an older thread here where people suggested inexpensive places to buy them, but they must be compatible with your unit.

Example: Bruce does an Estim bike at Rehab: same kind of pads, just larger. But the generic pads don't work on it, so we are forced to buy from the manufacturer and those are twice as expensive and it takes eight of them instead of two.

Date the pads when you open them. Supposedly the suggested length of potency is 10 uses - LOL, that will work. Bruce stims twice daily. So also keep them resealed in the bag they came in and when they "feel" dry, soak them and I mean soak, and wring out. Do not keep them in the refridgerator. That used to be the thinking, but seems to wear them out quicker.

I purchase three complete sets a year - about $90.00 and they must last a year, so stimming twice a day, each set must last about 4 months. And I use the same pads on his arm and leg, so really it is four times a day. We have just added the hand, once a day. So I may have to re-evaluate that. Hope this helps. Debbie

I left a link to the main site, but I went ahead and bought this one, because it does e-stem and TENS (pain). Which brand do you have and is there a link on line to see it? I hope I can get this thing figured out and get his arm working again! Mine:

http://www.lgmedsupply.com/l8eltemustco.html

• 3 weeks later...

A therapist told me that e-stim is a term used loosely by many therapist, but it is reallly more like TENS (pain control) That the thing to look for if you are buying is EMS (electrical muscular stimulation), I was thinking I had messed up, but when mine came and I looked at it, it did say EMS. Someone else said Russian was the best, too late for that one, but I think we are seeing something - in my blog tonight!

I had both kinds in the inpatient rehab facility. In the morning, my physical therapist would have me lie down and stimulate my lower leg muscles to make my foot flex. She did this to strengthen my foot and ankle to fight toe-drop before I got on the treadmill. In the afternoon my OT would use it on my affected-side shoulder for pain relief. I'm not sure that either one was effective. For sure the shoulder treatment didn't relieve the pain, and I really don't think I ever suffered from toe-drop, so I don't think that helped either.

• 3 weeks later...

My mom has the empi 700 PV, I believe. It can be used as a tens unit but also provides electrical stimulation. Her insurance wouldn't cover the unit so we paid about $700 for it. They will let you spread out the payments over 18 months if you need to. My mom uses the unit once or twice every day and has received so many different electrode placement possibilities from her therapists that it is mind boggling! There are so many diff ways to place the electrodes to get different muscle groups to work. We have not seen huge improvements in her hand/arm function but I would like to believe that it is helping to retrain the brain to rewire. Good luck with your unit.

Ours does both, too. My unit was much cheaper, only costing around $150. I didn't know people used them that often, looks like I need to do more.

I had the same unit but my insurance paid for it and it worked pretty good for me but like others have said those little estim patches cost so much and they keep bothering you about ordering more!! Mine now is in the drawer but I did use it for several months!!! I think after I started moving around more and got my scooter and started going every where I could daily!! So I could be wrong but my belief is the more you stay mobile and moving the better you will get when you take your pain medications as scheduled!!!

When I was still using the manual WC I had a shoulder sling, a foot brace and not walking much at all but that all changed when I started using the scooter!! The out patient therapy said I didn't need the AFO any more after I learned to walk and climb stairs!! Then I got my drivers license back and I been on the go every since for 8 years now!!

Fred: I agree 100%. We also have the Empi and Bruce uses it faithfully every single day - once to the knee, twice to the arm-shoulder. I noticed this week his arm-hand is much looser, that could also be the Botox kicking - won't last long however. But the scary thing is he is starting to forget it exists. Leave it hanging off the WC, stuck in his pocket. So I think I am also going to add the hand stim now. I can accept that it may never function again, but regardless it is an important part of his balancing, so he must at least get it in position to do his transfers, dressing; especially if I won't be around to remind him.

It has helped the leg-knee immensly. He does best in the AFO, but for quick transfers-to the toilet, out of bed, in and out of the shower; at least we are pretty sure the knee will hold. Now if the thigh overtoning would just calm down so I could be absolutely sure his right foot is on the ground. Even with the AFO and a shoe, the overtoning will pull that foot right off the floor. He balances well enough, but if he has to lead with the right foot, I still hold my breath. Debbie

Archived