chronic fatigue

Leah, my stroke was in Dec. 1999 and it seems to me in the past and currently I have gone through spells of extreme fatigue and I have come to realize it really isn't the stroke causing it but some other thing external goings on. Gosh to adjust to loosing your husband and trying to cope with the stroke at the same time is no walk in the park. At one time I was so frustrated with constantly falling, trips to rehab,and just feeling like a dish rag that when I was talking to my therapist and she kind of put it that why would taking a nap bother me when this is what my body needs. Well we worked out a schedule for napping. Everyday around 1 o'clock I would shut up my apartment and go take a nap. I like to listen to audio books (easier than trying to read with one hand) and I always manage to get some from the library or now that my son gave me a kindle fire I just down load them. I always try and suggest what has worked for me as an option because when someone tells me I should do something because they know how I feel, it makes me see red. You are dealing with two grieving issues, your stroke and the loss of your husband, which are major. Give yourself some slack and keep posting. Good luck Maryann

I suffer from fatigue. I have days worse than others. I get tired from walking upstairs. Medicine does play a major part in that. Losing your husband and knowing the anniversary is coming up as well as seasonal changes. I nap a lot. If my body says nap... I lay down and watch TV or nap. Take vitamins ,drink water. Go to bed at a regular time.. You know the drill, less caffeine.. ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi all. this is my first posting. I have read the thread about fatigue and napping; its an on going issue for me (and my husband). I had my stroke 2-1/2 years ago and my sleep patterns are definately disrupted. I don't sleep that well at night, and then I'm tired during the day.

I'm actually doing pretty good after my stroke, even though my entire life changed (and not for the better). I work part time (10 to 30 hours per week), cook dinner most evenings, take care of bills, do the laundry, run errands, walk the dog nightly (1+ mile, depending on the weather), get groceries weekly or whenever needed. I don't think I am doing too bad but sometimes I am tired, bone tired and want to take a nap. It drives my husband crazy, he thinks I am just being lazy. I have given him info about stroke victims needing extra sleep to help heal my brain--he says BS. So it's a constant fight and struggle with him, I also wonder about whether the sleep disruption is really stroke related or if its depression, because I know when I am depressed I sleep more.

I don't mean to whine, I just don't understand my new sleep patterns. I have tried not sleeping during the day so I'll be tired at night but sometimes I still just lie in bed, not sleeping. How can I tell if the extra sleep is for brain reconstruction or if its about depression. And, yes, I am on anti-depressants and followed by a psyschitrist and nuerologist, both say sleep when I am tired whether it is day or night.

I would love to hear other people's experiences with sleeping issues after their strokes.

Marcie

Hi Marcie,

First of all, Welcome to StrokeNet. I think you will find a lot of support and understanding here.

Let me say that you're not only doing "not too bad" but I was amazed at how much you're actually doing!

In the hospital, right after my stroke, in a way it was funny but I soon found it was no joke, but the nurse came in and woke me up to give me a sleeping pill. I can be a bit of a smartie pants so I said "Let me get this straight... you WOKE ME UP to give me a sleeping pill?????" We both laughed but she explained that sleep disruptions are so overwhelmingly common among stroke survivors that it's become routine to start a sleep aid right away especially in light of how important sleep is going to be in the next months. So, you're not alone, not strange and not lazy.

As for the needing naps after limited exertion, My Aunt took me grocery shopping yesterday morning. I was feeling fine and all I had to do was ride to the store and fill my cart. That alone was enough to induce a three hour nap. Until recently it bothered me too when people around me criticized or judged me but now not so much.

I finally realized that everyone lives within the limitations of what they can bear. In Psychology they call it cognitive dissonance and all it means is the span between what we're willing or able to accept as reality and actual reality itself. Each person can handle more or less than someone else. Your husband and my family literally can't handle the reality of what has happened to you and how your lives have changed so they ignore the facts or dismiss them as BS. Knowing that didn't change a thing, except I was able to stop accepting their judgements of me, allowed me more freedom to take care of myself without being manipulated and controlled by them.

Keep in mind, ironic, though it may be, that the more tired I am the easier it is to let them get to me. By all means, go take a nap! :)

Last, though stroke does play a part, depression can too. It doesn't have to be either/or and the same goes for depression. Don't totally give into it but allow yourself to rest if you need to. You're obviously not dropping out of your life or responsibilities so you're not surrendering to depression either. I hope to see you again soon.

Hi Leah and Marcie, The first year after my stroke which resulted in leftside paralization, I was very tired, just getting up and going from room to room made me tired. I started off with a walker then a cane then my two feet, I focused on my rehab doing more and more and I did push myself with the ok from my docs. I was 43 at the time and we all know every stroke is different as are ages, but meds and the mind have a lot to do with fatigue. I was on some meds that made me tired and did not feel like doing anything, I adjusted the doseages with the ok from my docs. For the last year I keep a log of what exercises I do allways tring to do more and when I do this makes me feel good and my left side is coming back slowly. Just start doing little things that you enjoy,try doing your rehab early in the day, then take a nap knowing that you did your rehab the best that you could. I find that if you think good thoughts before you sleep you sleep better. Just some thoughts, I which you both the best.

Hello Leah and Marcie, after my stroke, I slept and slept. My med all said "cause downess", and my doctor said rest is the best med. My husband was shocked at first, but my tongue can be sharp! LOL . Slowly, after two years, walking better, I started walking and it did wonders for me not so tire

Just came out of hosptial nine days in, and no walking, my left foot caught an infection. New meds, back to sleeping alot again. My body needs the rest, and we need to heal.

Marcie, Iam so proud of you, I used to do all that, but since my stroke, no way, plus I dont drive any more. I took my husband to the doctor, and he heard it from the horse mouth. We all change, that happens when you have a stroke, thats life.Wish you both the best, got to go and take a nap LOL

Yvonne

• 4 weeks later...

I am three years out from what seemed like a very mild stroke which left me with no visible signs. People meet me and say 'you look well!' and they mean it and those who know my history mean it kindly, too! I have been prone tiredness, compared with some, all my life though it does seem to be a bit of a family trait.

The stroke knocked me flat - I was told all the things about sleep being a restorative and it was also pointed out to me that the brain is the most vital organ and that the body, as an organism, will go to almost any lengths to protect and defend, even by almost shutting down other activities and systems. So I rested. Along the way I was diagnosed with a leaky heart, which was fixed by the miracle workers at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford. I was warned it would make my migraines (another life-long issue) much worse in the short term but that they should then ease greatly.

Fatigue is now my number one problem. I feel I can manage about one third of what I once did - any more can send me to bed for a day or two, sometimes with migraine-like symptoms. In my darkest moments I wonder if the 'plug' in my heart has worked loose! I have great sympathy with anyone else who feels this, as the fatigue is way beyond 'tiredness', isn't it?

When fatigued, my dear wife can tell. I develop what she jokingly calls my 'cognitive limp' - my speech begins to suffer and I use wrong or mangled words, and my typing deteriorates (even more!). Eventually, the power of coherent thought seems to leave me and I end up incapable of making decisions and just wishing to have my problems taken away from me.

I have slowly learned that all kinds of activities can provoke fatigue: physical work, yes, to a certain extent, but social situations and travelling, too. And it makes sustaining a proper exercise regime a real challenge, I find. So one can slide into a cycle of poor fitness leading to less stamina making tiredness come more easily which discourages exercise with consequent decline in fitness, and so it goes on....

And then, of course, depression sidles into the picture. What can be more depressing than fatigue, limited ability and inability to exercise properly? It feels like a vicious cocktail to me, and seems to require a major, determined effort just to continue to live one's life against such a background battle.

Forgive me, I feel as if I have gone on about me. But I draw comfort from being able to see that I am not alone. I hope that by sharing my feelings, others may just find some crumb of comfort and support.

Potter, I've never been overly troubled by fatigue. Some, but not a whole lot. I am now 6 yrs. out, and I have found that any "extras" can cause me to feel fatigued. Any extra physical or mental activity, and even stress can cause this reaction. I've also found that by giving into it, the duration is shorter. By that, I mean that if I can rest right then, I will feel "normal" faster than if I fight it. If I fight it, my functional level will just continue to deteriorate until I have no option but to lie down. Frustrating, I know, but how do you build up stamina to something that seldom happens? Best, Becky

Becky , thanks for this insight..... Now if only I could get Dan to understand......I watch him push through so much and then zone out and get crabby and then the cycle of refusals begin... I think, but with a stroke who knows, when he can't tell us.... So your insight is so valuable..

Thank you ...this is excellent, just the way you describe the fatigue, depression..and the end of the day jumble....

Perfect!! End of the day jumble is just how it feels!

Thank you,

Ben

Potter, I've never been overly troubled by fatigue. Some, but not a whole lot. I am now 6 yrs. out, and I have found that any "extras" can cause me to feel fatigued. Any extra physical or mental activity, and even stress can cause this reaction. I've also found that by giving into it, the duration is shorter. By that, I mean that if I can rest right then, I will feel "normal" faster than if I fight it. If I fight it, my functional level will just continue to deteriorate until I have no option but to lie down. Frustrating, I know, but how do you build up stamina to something that seldom happens? Best, Becky

Becky,

I shall bear this advice in mind. It isn't always possible to rest, though there have been times when I have felt like sitting down, right there, wherever, and closing my eyes!

Thank you,

Ben

I was thinking when I read your reply that I've never done that, except today, when it dawned on me that I have -a couple of hrs after I've taken my AM meds. They don't always make me sleepy, but sometimes they do. My doc suggested that I take meds that make me sleepy at night. Could your meds be at least partially responsible? Becky

Hello Becky1 .Im a stroke survivor . Glad you could join us glad you have found this site . Iv had 2 mine strokes an 1 HEART ATT an 1 that pairlaz me but i got back up an did what i had to do to get better. did a lot by my self when i came home The one that got me down was the last one . But im walking now by mty self with out a wilchair are eny tother .ALL i had to do is put my soul in to god an ask him to help me get better an with my self i did . NEVER give up . :D

Little

Jo

Archived