Dealing with the first year of recovery

In desperate need of tips and advise on dealing with the first year of recovery , especially when your alone to recover. How to take it day by day.

Thank you.

Rosena

I am very fortunate to have a great support system and two boys to raise so I do not have time to sit around ,much. I think it is very important in your recovery to have positive thoughts. I am sorry you have to deal with all of this alone. Kristen

Rosena: I am the caregiver, but I will tell you, without finding this wonderful site, neither Bruce or I would have survived the first year. Bruce is what I would call medium disabled, so he needs someone for help mostly.

But, honey, what no one tells you is that it takes six months for the swelling to go down in your brain and, at least in Bruce's case, another nine months for him to figure out what happened, what still worked and what needed to be worked on. In the meantime, I am exposing him to everything I could think of - days of morning rides, then home to lunch and nap, afternoon therapies, pool, appointments, Psychiatrist - all at a time, all at once that he was not in any condition to deal with. But this is what the current thinking was - jam that first year.

In retrospect, I would have done it very differently. My suggestions - and remember only my ideas - deal with the cognitive first. Whatever you feel is lacking, do the work. Get that brain thinking. Leave post its for short term memory recovery. If you are on an antidepressant, focus on your Psychiatry/Psychology appointments. Strict planning of your day - don't deviate. Shower, coffee, newspaper, dressing for work, breakfast, packing for lunch etc. Then the physical recovery: your walks, whatever exercises you do. Naps and snacks worked in. Thing is to find a routine that you are comfortable in and stick with it, every single day. Schedule special projects: On Thursday I will Grocery Shop, on the 20th I will pay my bills. I get gas in the car on Wednesday. Mark your calendar every single month, so it is mapped out for you. Twice a week you consider house cleaning: bathrooms, kitchen. On Sunday you cook for the week. This is what I mean. Simple, every day chores need to be scheduled and the schedule needs to be maintained.

After that first year, you plan in the heavy cleaning and house/car maintenance. But always your therapies and appointments come first. Simplify! Take a quiet, well rested afternoon with a calendar. Plan out those necessary things and the rest you wait until you get a handle on what I call basic maintenance. Just an aside - it has been four years since Bruce's stroke and finally I have him interested in the daily household routine. Since his brain is in such a better place now, he is able to understand and act on it. Just an idea of how long recovery is. Let us know, Debbie

The first desperate tip I can give you is exercise the weak side of your body every day, do all you can to move those limbs and if you got insurance try to get therapy when you can. If you don't exercise your muscles will want to draw up and make it so hard and painful for you to move a muscle. On your good side the brain is still working to help move that side of the body but the weak side it's just what you do to keep nerves and muscles working to make your first year of recovery so much better and enjoyable.

So remember that when you convince yourself to not exercise and if possible let somebody help you stretch your arms and legs you will feel better! The second tip I got is take your pain meds as directed and get some rest daily.

Man, that is a tough question. You just kind od have to put your head down and do the work and have faith that all will be well. Be kind to yourself, forgive yourself, etc.. I know all of that seems incredibly impossible right now. Rest!

Rosena, I would set a goal to reach every day, maybe read a chapter in a book, do a crossword or real puzzle, search the net for something you like and explore it. Take it one day at a time, relax and get plenty of sleep.

Rosena, I found that the most important thing for me was a routine. Try to do what you could before (unless restricted by doctors or therapists)and keep a list of what you cannot do now. This list will be important for future goals and therapy. I found the best therapy was doing my usual things. I also set two goals everyday. First goal was a quick and easy something that needs to get done, cut my nails or read the paper. The second goal was harder and took more time, washing drying and put away laundry or walk the dog 15 minutes. These goals helped me to get my things done. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rosena :

most important thing I will do is set routine for yourself, & make exercise part of that routine. for me I started doing exercise Monday,tuesday & since muscles would get sore so I gave myself break on wednesday,then again thursday,friday exercise & weekend get off it worked wonder in my life I never knew having routine in life felt this good.

Asha

I agree with all of the above. Try to makr a routine for yourself. Try to accomplish something everyday, even if it's just journaling for an hour. Try to get outside, it helps so much! Also, try to meditate.

• 4 months later...

Like everyone said, st goals, and have a routine. Mine is, I go for a walk every day. I also go on strokenet everyday that hepls. I read, listen to music,and watch television . In the evenings, I put a chair under a tree, and sit outside for at least three hours. Some times my grandkids come and they lift my soul. I am so sorry you have no family support, but you dont give up! stay postive.

Yvonne

I do agree with the other people that is important to have a routine.

I would not focus on the fact that you are alone. You are recovering not only for yourself, but for all of the people in your life.

Like someone had suggested go out for a walk or maybe take up a hobby that you can do at home like gardening. I know this is not the right time of year for it, but there are some things that you can grow inside.The most important thing is to not give up and not to feel that you are not recovering for a purpose. Even though that we are not in the same room they are altogether in this fight with you. Whether you know it or not your positive recovery may influence another person that comes in to this site. much love xxoo

Archived