Blog Community Tutorial - includes community rules (Quick Find)

jriva

TUTORIAL FOR STROKENET’S BLOG COMMUNITY

What is a Strokenet blog? A Strokenet blog can be thought of a public, on-line diary or journal. The Blog Community is a collection of blogs written by various members of this website.

For anyone who wants to read the blogs: Click on the word 'blogs' in the Community Links drop down menu at the top of any page. When the next page opens up, you can click on any and all the blogs you'd like read.

To activate your own blog: Click on 'my controls' in the Member Links drop down menu and on the left hand side in that page, you'll see 'Your Blog Settings.' Click on that. In the next window that opens up, there will be a line where you can name your blog and a second line where you can add a description or sub-title. After you do this, skip all the check boxes and leave them on the default choices for now. (You can go back later and tweak them when you get used to using your blog.) Go down to the large 'Blog Categories' box. In there, you can enter specific categories, if you want to. (For my blog, I have three categories: From the Far Side of Caregiving, My Aphasia/Apraxia Journal, and My E-Diary.) You can also leave this box empty if you don't want any categories. Now, all you have to do is click on 'submit' at the bottom and your blog is activated and ready for you to use.

To use your blog once it's activated: Either click on the word 'my blog' in the Member Links drop down menu or 'blogs' in the Community Links drop down menu at the top of any screen. If you clicked on 'blogs' then scroll down to your blog's name that will be listed. (Remember there several pages of blogs, you may have click on additional pages to find your blog. New blogs that don’t any published entries are usually on the very last page. They will move to the first page each time you publish a new entry.) Once you find your blog, click on it. At the top, on the right hand side of the next window, there will be a row of four buttons. Click on the 'entries' button and a small drop down box will appear underneath. Next click on 'add entry.' After that it looks like any posting text box on the message board. Once you've written your entry and you've clicked on the 'post new entry' line and your writing will go to your blog as a draft that only you will be able to see. You can tell it's a draft because it will be in a pinkish color. If you are satisfied with your draft, you then click on 'options' then 'publish' to turn it visible for everyone see.

To add content blocks: Content blocks are those small blocks off to one side of your main entries---click on 'content block settings' button in your main blog page, upper right hand corner. On the page that opens up, write your content in the text box and click at the bottom. Next, you'll need to put a check in the 'show block' column and click at the bottom where it says, 'update to content block setting.'

To leave a short comment about someone else's blog: At the bottom right hand side of the entry you want to leave a comment on, click on "comment" then in the next window that opens up, click on either 'fast reply' or 'add reply.' From there it's just like doing any other post on the message board.

If your comments are not showing up on someone's blog that person may have their blog settings so that all comments need to be approved before they leave a private draft. If you want to use this feature on your blog, click on 'your blog settings' and then at the top of the next window click on 'look.' Then on the page that opens up where it says 'approve comments posted on you' select 'no approve' which actually means no approval is necessary if you want comments to show. Select 'approve' if you want to approve comments before they go public.

Blog Community Rules: All the same rules that apply to the message board also apply to the blog community including no flaming, no advertising and no blogging of contact information. Click on the 'board rules' button to review the complete list. In addition, bloggers cannot copy their message board posts into their blogs or put their blog entries on the message board. Posting is for asking for support and blogging is for journaling.

Additional information on blogs can be found in our 'help' section and be sure to check out our FAQ if you are having trouble.

If you have additional questions about blogging, you can always send me Personal message(achandra)

MBA: Jean Riva