Has Covid changed your family dynamics?

swilkinson

Because my younger son has been here we have been discussing the way our families have reacted to the Covid restrictions. My daughter works as a Chaplain in a nursing home and with some staff members missing because of isolation issues is working longer hours as a substitute for others like the activities person, morning tea person etc. She is on a set wage so no extra payment.

My son in Adelaide and my grandchildren who live with him are not travelling interstate so no visits from them for two years.  Only an occasional phone call from him and none from my grandchildren. This means I have missed out on two years of school holiday visits, usually only one day visit but enough to keep a relationship with them.

How have your own families reacted?

large.670156068_Xmas2020seriousnamed.jpg.d44c2f687ead098a110dec1ea4491876.jpg

14 hours ago, swilkinson said:

How have your own families reacted?

Valerie loves family photographs and for the last few years the senior grandkids have taken over the organisation of the family Xmas meetings and the last one was two years ago and she got this attached pix. Last Xmas our eldest son has refused vaccination so there was no meeting. With a bit of luck this year may work out better for her.

That's a great shot of your family Deigh. I hope the lack of vaccination becomes less of an issue for others with time. It's sad when something like that splits a family. My lot have all had their shots thank goodness. With most of them working in essential warehousing or schools the question of whether to get vaccinated never really came up  There's also a few comorbidities among the group with asthma, diabeties, stroke and age also well represented in my family members.

Our youngest member is too young to get her shot yet, she's been exposed to it a few times at daycare but only had a mild case once and managed not to infect her parents. fingers crossed that continues to be the pattern.  We often have a group video chat with Vi as she does her bedtime routine. It's a hoot helping her choose her pjs for the night and having her read us a bedtime book. It was a habit that started as a way to distract a tired child who didn't want her hair brushed or her nappy put on after her evening bath, so she would have a video call with Grandma, and then on the nights Grandma wasn't available the aunts, uncles and great aunt (me) would fill in, so she has formed a relationship with her extended family even though she only sees some of us a few times a year, it also gives the adults a chance for a quick catch up on news.

She was 6 mths old when covid started so she has only ever known covid restrictions and life.

Sue I'm sorry your haven't been able to keep up with the SA grandkids. If they don't call you maybe you need to start calling them.