High Cholesterol

suzie-q

I went to the doctor last week for a cholesterol test. I was not worried in the least because I thought I didn't have anything to worry about. I was surprised to find out that my cholesterol was indeed higher than normal. I should have seen it coming given my dad's history of it, but I didn't and here I am. I have made some changes to my diet and exercise, but I was wondering if anyone had some non- pharmeceutical ideas on how to bring it back down to normal!

susan

Hi Susan,

I've been on all the satin drugs for it and just a few weeks ago a coworker told me about apple cider vinegar, 1 table spoon each night. I get my results from my regular check every 3 months in June. I'll know then if it helps me like he said it helped him.

I even tried the garlic tablets before, they didn't work. So, I shall see if I must go back to zocor and zetia. I feel the cholesterol drugs do more harm than good for me.

I hear ya Susan!

I keep my total Chol intake to under 150 mg per day (300 mg is the RDA) and my chol. was sky high a month ago. Even worse my good chol was down. My Dr. told me that exercise raises good chol. I spend 6.5 hours per week training with my heart rate in an aerobic range and my good chol went down. Go figure.

Both my parents and all of my 13 living aunts and uncles have VERY high chol. So I am doomed for now to be on medication.

However, my parents have had great success with a supplement they use. They have even come off the meds they were on. I haven't taken it because it is hard on the liver and I have liver damage. Later today I'm going to call my Dad and find out what it is they take.

I'm very interested in this thread!

Susan,

Well here is the scoop and I'm less excited about it than I was, make that not excited at all.

My parents take a table before each meal with 450 mg of Phytosterols in it. You can also get this from things like butter substitutes. My Dad said that he isn't sure it's working but they also have not taken it as regularly as they should. He also said that they are both back on the medicines; something I didn't realize at the time of my earlier post.

I guess I better start talking to my parents a little more often. Shame on me!

They got the idea of Phytosterols [sp?] from a book they read. I have read this book and it seems like it has some good common sense advice. The title is misleading because it is NOT a cure. Here is a link to the book.

Remember before taking even a supplement to check with your doctors. There are lots of over the counter supplements and medications I can't take because of stroke related medicine interaction and because I have liver problems. I don't even take a vitamin without checking.

Also, if you click on the Members Area drop down on the menu bar at the top of this page you can select Ask an Expert. Sometimes I forget it is there but twice I have received tremendous information; and very quickly.

hi susie, i also am on drugs to help control my cholesterol, i am watching my diet, but can't exercise due to deficits left by stroke. i also try to eat cheerios and oatmeal as often as i can, cause i know they help. i am due to have mine re-checked soon, so i will see how much the foods help. i gotta have the occasional fast food, but not as often as i used to. our bodies make enough of it without adding to it. i hope your issues with it resolve themselves soon.

k. anderson

Hi Susie,

I too have been on prescription meds for cholesterol - I was on Lipitor until just recently when my insurance decided they will no longer cover it. I've now been prescribed Lovastatin. I also consume healthier foods. Fast food is now a once-a-month treat generally. Due to my deficits, physical exercise is not an option right now. My doctor is very pleased with all test results.

Best of luck to you in getting your levels into a good range. Be sure to discuss any supplements with your Doc and/or Pharmacist.

I basically stopped eating red meat. Ate more fish and chicken if I had to eat any kind of meat. And fruit I overdosed on. I was on lipator and then my doc switched me to simivasitin (I think I spelled it right) My numbers on my test were so low that my doc said they were too low.

lovastatin is on walmart's 4 dollar drus list you can get a month's supply for four bucks google walmart 4 dollar drugs and see for yourself...hugs, susan in wenatchee

• 3 weeks later...

You may want to research Omega 3 and Red yeast rice. I received this information from a pharmacist that belives in other methods. I am going to try the Omega 3 twice a day. My dad takes both of these and his chol has dropped significantly. Good luck.

I also have high cholesterol /i have taken lipitor but when insurance quit paying for it and i couldn't afford it we changed to simvastatin. my gp before my stroke said we could try fish oil also is omega 3, but they didn't help before my stroke (not enough time. my cholesterol is now in the average range as of the last blood tests, just last month. :cheer: :dribble:

I hear that red wine works too, about 3 ounces at bed time.

Sdebo8, thanks for reading around the board, introduce yourself so we all can welcome you. Glad you are posting.

• 3 weeks later...

My LDL was 168, which is what they THINK may have caused the stroke. After taking Lipitor and adjusting my diet slightly (I am not going to lie and say that I adjusted it alot) I was able to see tremendous changes. After two months, my LDL was down to 53.

Shall,

I would think 168 is low, anything over 200 is high but we never know about body sizes and other medical problems present. What meds are you taking to control it?

I am on Lipitor 40mg to bring it down. Doctor said that they could not pin the stroke on high chol. however, felt that my TTL chol. was too high (220) When I asked what "bad" was he told me that for "normal" ppl, it should be under 200. He said that for stroke victims, the LDL should be under 70, which I now am. I would be considered overweight at the time, however, I was very active.

I have gained so much weight after the stroke in March (roughly 40 lbs) from not exercising and not eating correctly. I have dysphasgia (which is now much better) but I was eating easy stuff like ice cream and mac and cheese etc............ Now that I am pretty much able to eat whatever I want, I am probably going to start something like Nutrisystem or something similiar to get the weight back off.

Anyway, back to the topic - I am thinking that the doctor will reduce the mg. on my next visit.

If you have an accupunturist in your area, many also practice Traditional Chinese Medicine or herbal medicine. Those practices include a different type of physical examination than what Western medicine Drs conduct. TCM practitioners look at the tongue fingernails and warmth of hands. There are some herbal properties that can help lower cholesterol levels but it is best to get recomendations for which herbs to use from someone with more training and knowledge than the average clerk at a GNC store

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I had high cholesterol and began eating a bowl of oatmeal every morning and after a couple of months it was fine.I know take Lipitor no cholesterol problem, been taking them since my stroke.

Take Care Kelly a.k.a. Shakeyleg

Archived