TOPAMAX

idbl_fanatic

i was away from the messagfe board for awhile and am catching up. my neurologist put topamx in the fall for migraines. i take 25 mg in the AM and 50 mg at night becasue of the sleepiness in can cause. it did make me sleepy at first but that has since faded away. my headaches are better. i just wish i could find something for the nerve pain.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've been on Topamax (Topiramate) for almost 4 years. I take 450 mg a day. The side effects were terrible but my neuro convinced me to stick it out. I'm glad he did. It has reduced my migrains to about 4-6 a month.

• 3 months later...

I've been on Topamax 200mg twice a day for 6 years now. I know it does makes you tired but you eventually get used to that. But has anyone talked to you about the tired feeling also being just from the stroke itself? Your brain works differently now and has to overcompensate for the injured parts. You are going to wear down faster than you used to. It is a change that I had to get used to myself. I have to take extra cat naps now wheras I didnt before. Just a suggestion... Memory

Hi Rick,

I don't know about this medication but I did want to welcome you to StrokeNet. I do know that it sometimes takes a few tries before you get the meds that are right for you. It's a hit and miss affair. Let your doctor know what the meds are doing to you and he might change the dosage or even change the meds altogether. The same medication doesn't always work the same on everybody. The side effects usually go away in a couple of weeks unless you have a reaction to the meds. Keep your doctor informed as he will be the one who adjusts or changes your meds. Good luck to you and come visit often.Please let us know how you are doing, we care

Marie-Claire (mcd)

• 3 weeks later...

I started Topamax too for headaches, and it actually gave me low grade headaches so I had to stop. While I was trying it, I couldn't understand what was being said on TV; it was gibberish.

Susan :coffee:

Archived