Arm and hand issues

I spent 20+ minutes this morning to successfully zip up my jacket. Yes, believe it or not,it was a bit cool today in San Diego...very typical June weather. Does anyone have any tricks they can share to ease the frustration associated with this once simple task.

Wesley H.

Yes I have a solution. I dont buy clothes with zippers anymore because I cant zip up alone. Not the answer you are looking for I am sure. One thing I have tried and it worked on certain clothes. I leave the zipper zipped up part way and if say, its a coat, then I will pull it over my head like a sweater, BTW ladies, thats how I also put on my bras. They stay done up and I pull it over my head. Sorry guys TMI(too much information)

mc

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I am against making things easier. How else will your brain reconnect? I used to do the same with shoes and coats. I didn't look at it as it took me 15-20 minutes to get ready, rather that I was able to do it on my own. :) But, I used to place part of the zipper in my other hand and used leverage against a wall or myself to hold it until it zipped. I have since recovered enough to just zip or button a shirt, but took a good 4-6 months.

HI Wesly great to see you on here. I never totally unzip my jackets etc as at least for me it is easier to go over my head than try to fanagle the zipper or if I just fresly did my hair and dont want to risk my do I created a zipper pull with a old key chain and a s hook permanently attached to that and it works better than blind luck with the zippers in life Karen

Guest furiawill

I spent 20+ minutes this morning to successfully zip up my jacket. Yes, believe it or not,it was a bit cool today in San Diego...very typical June weather. Does anyone have any tricks they can share to ease the frustration associated with this once simple task.

Wesley H.

Guest furiawill

SINCE I TOO HAVE ZIPPER PROBLEMS. I FOUND VELCRO WORKS THE BEST ANY ALTERATIONS SHOP CAN SEW IT ON, BETTER THEN ZIPPERS. I HOPE THIS HELPS.

Hi Wes....

Longtime no yak...

Since I live in Wisconsin, and I came home from the hospital in Feb. of 08....This was a constant issue for me...

You can get a small tool/hook thing to help....

What I did, was I didn't buy the tool, but decided this was going to be one of my mini-goals...

It took months, sometimes fumbling for what seemed like hours, on occasion....But I got it down pat after a few months...I cannot do much with my right hand, but I can start and get a jacket/coat zipper up...

Care...

I agree with Gavin that the struggle to actually zip the jacket is part and parcel of our recovery. If you use compensation tactics then recovery is pushed off. I hate this part of rehabilitation, I know that I will have to continue doing things the hard way, taking much longer because in the long run it is better for me. However here in Minnesota it is an absolute requirement to be able to zip a jacket in a reasonable amount of time. So for that I put a large safety pin on the left side where the zipper starts and added a loop of cord or fabric to it. I then pry open one of my fingers and place it in the loop to hold that side down. Before I did this I once spent 20 minutes zipping my jacket at work and missed two buses as a result. I was too proud to ask coworkers to zip it for me. By doing it the hard way my pinch grasp is getting better.

Life in the slow lane is my burden.

Dean

Yeah, I had a tad bit of an issue with zippers in the first month, since my stroke occured in late December. The funniest thing is that I was always totally forgetting to zip up my pants, especially after I've used the loo. It always cracked me up because zipping up my pants is such an automatic part of my life and I found it ridiculous that I would forget. So, I made a conscious effort to remember to zip up my pants.

I wear jeans practically every day. I got better at remembering to zip up my pants. But once in a rare while, if I'm having an "off" day or something like that, I would forget to zip up my pants. LOL.

I know this is not the answer you're looking for in terms of relearning how to zip up your jacket or your pants. I just thought this was hilarious. Some may not find it funny. You can't take life too seriously, really.

One idea is if the zipper lever is too awkward to get a hold of, you may want to try tying a string to it for a better hold. It probably won't be 100%, as there are variations of the ends where you hook the zipper together and the ease of zipping.

Oh, yeah. I remember that I had to relearn how to tie my shoes. My husband and my mother had to help me with that for about a week or so before I had enough strength to relearn how to tie shoes. I knew how to tie my shoes, but couldn't direct my body to do the act. I did this all on my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep at it, the more you do it, the easier it will become. The brain will reroute itself and One day you'll be happy you didnt give up!

Just keep at it, the more you do it, the easier it will become. The brain will reroute itself and One day you'll be happy you didnt give up!

Not zipping, exactly, but part of my working on hand/finger numbness is that my pocket on that side usuallt has 6-12 items in it -- car key (not driving, but locking and unlocking) penknife, USB drives, nail clippers.... And it's a little victory each time I reach in and pull out the item I actually wanted.

Hi Wesley,

I don't deal with zipper's. I get some pants that are elastic in the waist. Since I can't use my right hand but at least I get it done.

Bruce Schwentker

hi wesley i know that if you try to do up the zipper on your coat over and over again you will get it wesley look at it as a goal to do or a challenge to get it but what i do is i use my right hand and a grab the pin in the zipper and then i make sure that the fastener is all the way in and then i hole the zipper together with my right hand palm while i use my fingers to zip it up it does take me longer than usual but i can do it i hope that thisis helpful, and for a pair ofpants pantdi buiy a paior of jeans with an elastic waist so all i have to do is pull it up

Guest furiawill

Wesley H.

WESLEY,

I HAVE GOTTEN RID OF ZIPPERS AND HAD VELCRO STRIPS SEWN IN PLACE OF ZIPPERS. MUCH EASIER AND LESS FRUSTRATING FOR SURE.

I HOPE THIS HELPS. STAY SAFE, AND FALLING IS NOT AN OPTION.

BILL SENDS...

Wesley H.

I know this to be a common problem,using a tool that I found works well,its about 6 inches long with a small clamp on the end,I sometimes lay it on the bed (the jacket) and zip it up a little put it over my hear and then attach the clamp actually pull it up with my teeth, while holding the bottom of the jacket down.not pretty but I can do it alone,when I'm out I never unzip it all the way and just put it on over my head,as long as you find your way what works for you,thats the goal,try a few ways and see what you think is best,its been 10 years for me and I still have problems with things every now and then but I get it done...Good luck..

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, yeah! I just remembered....

I remember I had so much trouble zipping even with my good side that I had to have help with my zippers for a few days after my stroke. And I forgot that I had an idea in my last post...... LOL!

Try having a shoestring or some kind of string tied to the zipper and use that "pull" to operate the zipper. This would give you more to grab, while the zipper can be quite small. You see those "pull" tags on the zippers of bags, backpacks, purses, etc., if you're wondering what I'm talking about. I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Well I'm with Gavin here. If you're struggling with something it means you need to work on the strength, pinch and dexterity in your hand, Ignoring it WILL NOT HELP. When you have a more relaxed time...practice, small steps at first, like can you grab the zipper tag with your weak hand/fingers? How hard can you pinch it? now can you feed it into the other side on the zipper and start tugging upward. Well I'm sure, Cause I did it, that with practice you'll overcome this defieciency. God Bless you. Remember If It's too hard to do, it should become a challenge to overcome in increments. Like typing this reply, both hands and fngers working together. The Stroke Journey is a long one, do what is hardest for you, you'll be glad you did. Challenge, Overcome.

Colin

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember having a very emotional moment because I couldn't tie my shoes and my daughter had to tie them...I burst into tears. I story to my physio girl and she spent the rest of the day teaching me. ;p Bras were really tough also ;)

I can't imagine being a female and having a stroke. I read yhonisberg's blog and she spit at her bra and

cussed at it. And then, she remembered she had to put it on! I refuse to wear underwear. I know,

that's gross. But I'm refusing to wear them until I could put 'em by myself. I asked my 8-year-old

daughter to zip up my jacket Sunday morning, when she couldn't, I zipped it up all by myself. My wife

was busy elsewhere. But still can't tie my shoes. They gave me a handout at therapy and I tried to read

out of book I have about tying your shoes one-handed, but I can't understand the dammed thing. The

thing I have trouble with is those darned zip-lock baggies. Can't seem to master 'em unless I use my

teeth.

-phildogg

when it first happened i was stuck in a public restrooom cuz i couldn't get my pants up.....i took so long my hubby sent an elderly lady in to see if i was ok...very embarassed but thankful or i might still be there. roflmao.gif

• 3 months later...

Wesley H.

Wesley,

There are stores that have products to help you perform daily duties that are now difficult because of a stroke. I can't button my shirts so I purchase shirts that do not require me to button them or I have my wife button them. It has been difficult accepting limitations but not impossible. Also, practicing difficlt jobs also helps. I have diabetic neuropathy in addition to my stroke problems which makes some tasks very difficult. Keep a positive attitude and keep pushing forward.

Jim W

• 2 months later...

Well, I don't know the extent of your limititations, but I just keep trying until I'm successful. When I first had my stroke people would try to help me, but that became bothersome. Living alone I've had to force myself to do things. The only thing I can't quite do successfully is tie my shoes on my feet. I have some elastic laces for some shoes, but now I buy mainly skip-ons and loafers. BTW, left brain stroke, right side deficit. Right hand about 65% functional, extensors continue to be weak.

Good luck!

Archived