TEE Test, and procedure

May want to PIN this - (Pinned due to importance - MBM Donna)

Ok, I had my TEE yesterday, and this is how it went down for those of you that are scheduled for one and want to know what to expect.

9:15 am

I show up at the hospital, and check in, they take me to a room, and get me into a gown, take my vitals, ask numerous health question, the normal stuff.

10:00 am

Started IV on me

11:20 am

Came in with liquid stuff to swish in my mouth and gargle (kinda like cloraseptic) to numb my mouth and throat, did this for about 5-6 minutes.

11:25-11:26 am

Came in with a spray antiseptic, they asked me to take a deep breath and say "AHH" as I was releasing the breath saying "AHH" they srayed this in the back of my throat, so that it would not go into my lungs.

11:35 am

Dr came in, stuck his finger in the back of my throat to see how my gag reflexes were, and sprayed a little more antiseptic in the back of my throat. At which time they administered the sedative via the IV (Wish they would have warned me 1st, it was a little odd not knowing they were doing this)

11:40 am

Dr placed the tube with the "camera" on the end (this is about as wide as a key on your keyboard, and about as long as 2 keys) in my mouth, had me look down, and then had me swallow, now this is where it feels REALLY odd, it feels like you just swallowed something without chewing it, is the best I can describe it.

While this was in, you can feel the "camera" moving because it rotates so that the Dr can "look around" at one point the Dr moved the tube, and I started gagging, I went to reach for it to move it, and everyone held me down, so I guess this is a no-no, I Think they thought I was going to try to pull it out.

12:00 pm

Dr pulls it out, everything went fine, my throat was sore then, and still is today a little. The actual procedure took about 20 minutes.

**FYI**

Dr told me, that if I ever have to have something like this done again, to keep my eyes open, because I guess you can't gag if your eyes are open.

So there you have it, what you can expect when going for a TEE

I would never ever have a TEE done again without a sedative, which is not like a GA but makes you very relaxed and you dont really know whats going on.

You are a braver person than me to talk about this like it was a piece of cake. I had one done without a sedative and it was one of the most distressing procedures I have ever had. I suppose it didn't help it was just 4 days after my stroke, I was in Spain so couldn't speak the language so they couldn't really tell me what was going on.

I don't want to worry people if they are going to have one done, but please inquire about a sedative.

Did they find anything? I assume they were looking for a PFO?

Mary

wow:

I can just say you are one detail oriented person, first time when they did TEE on me i kicked the doctor, second time I was awake but copoperative but don't remember a thing excpt spraying of that liquid

Asha

May want to PIN this - (Pinned due to importance - MBM Donna)

Ok, I had my TEE yesterday, and this is how it went down for those of you that are scheduled for one and want to know what to expect.

9:15 am

I show up at the hospital, and check in, they take me to a room, and get me into a gown, take my vitals, ask numerous health question, the normal stuff.

10:00 am

Started IV on me

11:20 am

Came in with liquid stuff to swish in my mouth and gargle (kinda like cloraseptic) to numb my mouth and throat, did this for about 5-6 minutes.

11:25-11:26 am

Came in with a spray antiseptic, they asked me to take a deep breath and say "AHH" as I was releasing the breath saying "AHH" they srayed this in the back of my throat, so that it would not go into my lungs.

11:35 am

Dr came in, stuck his finger in the back of my throat to see how my gag reflexes were, and sprayed a little more antiseptic in the back of my throat. At which time they administered the sedative via the IV (Wish they would have warned me 1st, it was a little odd not knowing they were doing this)

11:40 am

Dr placed the tube with the "camera" on the end (this is about as wide as a key on your keyboard, and about as long as 2 keys) in my mouth, had me look down, and then had me swallow, now this is where it feels REALLY odd, it feels like you just swallowed something without chewing it, is the best I can describe it.

While this was in, you can feel the "camera" moving because it rotates so that the Dr can "look around" at one point the Dr moved the tube, and I started gagging, I went to reach for it to move it, and everyone held me down, so I guess this is a no-no, I Think they thought I was going to try to pull it out.

12:00 pm

Dr pulls it out, everything went fine, my throat was sore then, and still is today a little. The actual procedure took about 20 minutes.

**FYI**

Dr told me, that if I ever have to have something like this done again, to keep my eyes open, because I guess you can't gag if your eyes are open.

So there you have it, what you can expect when going for a TEE

If someone has difficulty with gagging during dental procedures they should mention that to their Dr if they are scheduled for a TEE because another medication(Vistaril) can be added to the sedative to supress the gag reflex

Archived