PFO Closure

I just recieved the device that closed my PFO on Fri the 11th. I was very nervous because the only reason I was able to recieve the device is because I agreed to take part in a clinical trial. Currently, the FDA does not approve the device for people who have had only 1 stroke. But considering the fact that about 50% of people who have a PFO and have had a stroke will have another even on blood thinner, I welcomed the opportunity to be a part of the trial.

Friday was the biggest hurdle. I started to second guess my decision to close the hole because I was experiencing tremendous heart "fluttering" And I was unable to move for about 6hrs after the surgery.

Now, I am just being very careful so that i dont open the wound in my groin and getting used to a new reality. Everything has happened for me so fast. I had my stroke on 1/1/07 and was told that I would be on Coumadin indefinitely. I was just getting used to that reality when I got the opportunity to change it.

I am at a very strange place emotionally. I am grateful that I no longer have a hole in my heart but all that I suffered from the stroke still remains. I feel like, "now what?" It is very hard for me to take each day as is comes. But I am trying.

Glad to hear the PFO is closed. I an empathize with you regarding the need to take one day at as time. Yes, at times it is frustrating. I don't know about you, but personally I'd rather look at one day at a time versus the alternative. I have a lot to see and do yet while I'm here. Granted there are good as well as bad days....the good ones outnumber the bad after a while.

Here's to your continued recovery :Cheers:

Hang in there it's going to get better day by day. Read around the board and make comments as you wish. Glad you are here.

Hello :hug:

I know how you feel.

I had my stroke last July, and my PFO closed in September. I was scared too, having people opening my arteries and messing with my heart! But I'm a worrier, and this gave me some peace of mind.

I was sooo tired for a while after the procedure. My doctor said the heart needs time to heal, and after a couple weeks I was back to "new normal".

I'm still working on the whole "acceptance" thing. Logically I know I've been very lucky, my risks are relatively low and I need to move on. Emotionally I tend to 'wallow' now and then :blush:

Fortunately for us there are so many more experienced folks here who have come through the fire and found peace and contentment on the other side.

Hope you get stronger every day!

Carol

ihi there and glad you found us, i think you made the right decision in closing the hole but acceptance of a stroke is one of the hardest things you will ever have to do. but you must and move on in making a life with the new you. work hard in recovery and have patience with yourself as things do get better. take care and be well and let us know how you are doing. we all care here and will keep you in our prayers.

best wishes.

kanderson

Thank you everyone for your responses and you support. It does help. Only people who have gone through a stroke can understand this emotional rollercoaster we ride as well as our physical limitations/frustratiosn. Thanks again!!!!

hi knukim:

I had done my PF closure 4 months after my stroke, since I was initially still in wheelchair and I did not wanted to go in hospital in wheelchair, PFO closure was the best and easy operation compared to what I lost due to my stroke, I was quite upset about my hand in life, but slowly & steadily worked in my acceptance journey and things are much better than they were 3 yrs ago. I m able to enjoy life one more time.

Asha

I'm wondering what size your PFO is? I also have a PFO and my MD decided it wasn't necessary to close it. I'm very nervous knowing that I'm walking around with a hole in my heart. I hope that you are doing well.

My thoughts are with you.

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

i also have a PFO and will be getting it closed sometime soon. hopefully July. I need to see a few more docs before I get approval to do so. I am growing a little more nervous as the day draws near, but its nice to read the comments in this thread :Clap-Hands:

• 2 weeks later...

I stroked 1/10 at 47 due to PFO.

Had closure as part of clinical trial may 05. The PFO was very large and follow up TEE bubble test was positive meaning PFO not evtirely closed.

I am still taking Plavix and aspirin because of that.

I do have that underlying fear of another stroke. was hospitalized 2/06 with recurrent symptoms and no new stroke found, but was advised to seek open closure or be on coumadin for life. Due to no insurance, neither are options for me. I did get plavix recently from the drug Co for free so for that I am grateful.

Where are you involced in trial?

Mary

Hi,

I'm having pfo closed this summer in Ottawa Ontario.I'm hoping it will take away some fears.I have had some great advise from the people on this site.

Take Care Kelly a.k.a. (shakeyleg) :)

Hang in there!

I'm jealous--I would like to have the closure procedure done, but I was told by my cardiologist that I can't get the PFO closure because of the dumb FDA restriction (gee, makes you wonder if the FDA & the manufacturer of coumadin have an "I-scratch-your-back-and-you-scratch mine" relationship???). I've also been told that many doctors do the procedure regardless of the "second stroke" rule, and my cardiologist said that her group doesn't want to get sued (by me) or sanctioned (by the FDA) by going against the FDA. It will probably cost less in the long run to get the closure than to pay for the lifelong prescriptions of coumadin. However, I do have an embedded IVC filter in my abdomen which is meant to catch any clots before they reach the lungs and heart.

UGH--the joys of stroke.

Archived