I have a common problem (FOOT DROP) for stroke survivor (stroked 3 yrs ago), of course I have to wear an AFO

(Ankle Foot Orthosis) to hold my affected foot up so I can (sorta) walk(limp).

I have MANY questions about FOOT DROP.

1. What is the cause?

2. What kind of therapy can I do ON MY OWN to fix it?

3. Will I have to wear an AFO the rest of my life? :Tantrum:

My Rehab Doctor he has absolutely has NO ANSWERS! :ranting:

Foot Drop is very common indeed and can be experienced in varying degrees. Sorry your Rehab Doc cannot give you answers to your questions. May I suggest clicking on Members Area at the top of each board page. This will open the drop-down menu. Click on Ask an Expert. You can pose questions there; we have aprofessionals who volunteer their time to assist members.

It has been 2 1/2 years for me; I use my AFO daily as a precaution...without it, my foot will suddenly flop over. I'd rather wear the AFO than risk getting injured.

Hi Michael, My husband Ron (4 yr survivor) has the same issue. Like Donna he wears an afo but we are awaiting Mdcr approval for a footdrop stimulation device designed by Bioness called the Ness L300, looks very promising, and it would mean we could actually start using shoes that fit both feet again! For now tho we are trying out their Ness H200 that is designed to help with controled opening of the hand. So far looks promising....only on the fourth treatment. About the foot drop device you can go to their website www.bioness.com and ask them to send you their promotional dvd and literature. Trouble is I suspect it is expensive.

We were told that doing ankle exercises, aquatherapy and massage would facilitate return, buy do far we still feel more safe with the afo.

Hope this helps.

Clag

I've got the same problem with

footdrop and if tkere was a cure

I feel that I could walk again;

as it is I'm pretty much stuck

in this wheelchair and a pyra-

mid cane.

I had my disabling stroke back

in 2005.

Good luck in finding an answer!

Lee Kenaga

hi michael, i too have the same issue with foot drop and wear an afo, i was told it is caused by the brain injury we had, in which the nerves and signals have been damaged by the stroke, (like duh) i was given a bootie to wear in hospital to prevent it but guess what, it didn't work. i would think your rehab dr should have you working on it. i think i have read somewhere about surgery they can do to fix it, i thought i read it here maybe in the classic postings or in one of the stroke magazines. i will see if i can find it for you and i have read alot about the bioness device also. i figure i will have to wear my afo until my leg and ankle get stronger for safety sake. let us know if you find out anything. kirby has spoken of another device called the walkaide, you might pm them for more info.

good luck.

I have a common problem (FOOT DROP) for stroke survivor (stroked 3 yrs ago), of course I have to wear an AFO

(Ankle Foot Orthosis) to hold my affected foot up so I can (sorta) walk(limp).

I have MANY questions about FOOT DROP.

1. What is the cause?

2. What kind of therapy can I do ON MY OWN to fix it?

3. Will I have to wear an AFO the rest of my life? :Tantrum:

My Rehab Doctor he has absolutely has NO ANSWERS! :ranting:

Hi,

My Physio gave my actupuncture for my ankle which fixed the foot drop. They put the needles in the ankle and in my scalp, then she ran low voltage through the needles to stimulate the ankle. She said because the problem is a direct result of the nurological episode (stroke) was the reason she included the ones in my scalp. It took six sessions of 20 minutes each over a six week period. I tossed my afo after the fourth treatment, I now drive. Now I'm not saying that it would work for you, but it might be something to mention to your doctor. Couldn't hurt.

michael,

if you do a GOOGLE search on dropfoot there is a wealth of information on it. it is not only caused by a stroke. i would suggest you also find a new rehab dr.

• 3 weeks later...

Michael,

There is a device by the name of walkaide you may want to research and it can be found at:

http://www.walkaide.com and there is a topic here, walkaide, that you can look up. Type walkaide in the search box. It may work for your Foot drop.

Thanks for the link Fred. I just ordered an information kit so I can show my doctor. It looks like quite an easy thing to wear. IF it works. None of my doctors ever suggest any new therapies other than the Botox treatment that was a major and costly ( for my insurance) dissappointment. i am 10 years post stroke and my guess is that much muscle mass has atrophied over the years and I cannot expect miracles but I can always hope.

Who knows?

Pat

Hi Mike,

I, too have foot drop and an AFO.(trauma-induced stroke8/02 I'm 5 year survivor

My physiatrist referred me to a podiatrist to pursue surgical options.

Th podiatrist wanted to fuse my ankle. He acted like it was a Lego building project. I have read about realistic & successful surgery Google Dr Ann Keenan U of Penn.

I have been in contact with another Stroke network member who has almost worked herself out of AFO with the Bionessl300 Most insurance companies won't pay. It's about $6000.00 But can be paid in monthly installments in an RTO option that is rent to own Please do go to the website and order info. a customer service person will call you to follow up.

My physiatrist is interested to the point of sending a PT for training on this unit to facilitate east Central Illinois access. I know they're trained and operating in North Carolina. Depending on your location you might be able to find a trained site near you.

The best to you

Keep us posted.

mljmsw

Archived