Atypical Cluster Headaches

CathySapp

I am currently on Propranolol, Compazine and Meclizine for Atypical Cluster Headaches, and have found no relief. I am unable to get in with my Neurologist for another week and have had a several headaches in the past 5 days. I get sharp pains in my head and behind my right eye with intense pressure that feels as if my eye is being pushed out of my head.

Has anyone else experience this? Is there anything I can do to ease the pain?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Hello Cathy,

I get very severe headaches to the point of getting sick. I get muscle spasms from my stroke. I get the headaches from my neck spasms. Even light spasms give me a headache. I was on Baclofen to relax the muscles. But it did not work to well. I just started taking Zanaflex. It is supposed to work better for my neck. It seems to be doing better.

Al

Cathy I’m not experiencing the pain you are but I hope you get the relief you need as soon as possible!

Bstockman great link! By reading the information I too suffer from cluster headaches but nothing like Cathy.

Thank you all for your help….

Bonnie I can not thank you enough for the link. It was very informative and has given some great things to talk to my doctor about.

The headaches are new since the stroke. I had a bilateral Vertebral Dissection; both sides of my brain and the cerebellum were affected. The stroke presented itself with severe neck pain which became debilitating. I have suffered from a “creepy crawly” sensation and the constant neck pain but I have come to live with it.

The cluster headaches are ruling my life and stealing my sleep. I am desperate to find some for of resolution.

Guest gerrylee

im so sorry to hear about your headaches......before my stroke i would get the occasional headache, but after i had the stroke ive never had a headache.....isnt that so weird about how strokes have different effects on different people.

cathy, i am so sorry to hear about the headaches you are experiencing, i can only imagine the pain and discomfort this is causing for you in your life now. i will keep you in my prayers that you can find relief very soon. hang in there. sending ((((hugs))) your way. keep us posted on how you are doing.

I am not seeing a psychiatrist. I do however have a Neurophysiologist, my primary physician, physical and occupational therapist running test and trying to pin point the root of the problem.

I have had little relief, as of yet, but I am grateful for the suggestions and prayers.

Hi cathy... not a psychiatrist.. there is a New type of Dr called a psiatrist. ( not sure of spelling ) . kind of a neurologist.. who will asses and order tests and types of therapy.

I went to one after stroke ( she ordered my PT, but I actually did not find her ver helpful) I had one follow up with her. From then on back to my regular primary care Dr.

Cathy,

I am sorry to hear of your headache pain. I can understand what you are going through. I have been having terrible headaches about 5 times a week since February. I have been working with my neurologist to try to figure out why. I have gotten my eyes examined again, lots of new blood work, full physical from my FP and a consult with my pharmacist. Nothing jumped out.

I have gotten to know his nurse quite well in the last almost year. Don't be afraid to call and ask to speak with your neurologist's nurse/assistant. She has become very helpful to me. She is also able to give lots of suggestions for non-medication ideas to try. For me, I use an ice pack when I get my headaches. Some people prefer heat. Just try and see what works best for you.

We also talked about taking the medication when I first notice the start of my headache. I use to try to not take medication. For now, I have resigned myself to take the medication to prevent a worse headache. I have been given many different kinds of pain medication. She and I have talked about what type of headache pain works best with each medicine. We have also talked about what medications are more likely to have strong side effects. I try hard not to take the kind that will make me sleep. I have children to take care of.

I have returned to PT for more neck therapy because it helped a lot before. I have also applied to a physiatrist well-respected in our area and a pain center. I am waiting to hear from both of them. I am also getting my records together for a second opinion.

You know how they say the squeeky wheel gets the oil. Well, the patient with a connection with the doctor also gets the oil.

I hope things get better for you soon! Beth

Archived