Stronger After Stroke - Your roadmap to recovery

Sharlord

I recently bought this book from Boarders on line and have read the first 2 chapters. It seems to be an excellent work about stroke recovery. He equates recovery as to being an athelete or a musician. Peter is a Co director of the Neuromotor Recovery and Rehabilitation Labratories. And a researcher with the Dept of Rehab sciences University of Cincinatti. Some of the sub topics are Say no to plateau, Use your fantastic plastic brain, Using the wisdom of athletes. It is a new book out Nov 2008. I did a search on Amazon and they have it for about $14.00 I highly recommend this book and think it might help. It has already helped me

Glad you were able to be helped by reading this book and there are many others I've read over the past 5 years that will further enlighten your senses in your recovery. Glad you are a member. Like Maria mentioned, check out our book store on site. There are some you may desire to read as time goes on and you get better in your recovery.

Sharlord,

This place is much more than a message board. it's a network of website with many untapped resources you may like to explore. Use this to check out all we have to offer http://www.strokenetwork.net/media/index.htm#structure

This is by far the best book I have read on recovery. I have spent over 2 years accumulating lots of the same information and partipating in some 12 stroke forums to get as much knowledge as possible. This was all necessary since my original Drs. did not tell me anything about recovery , except You had a stroke , Deal with it.

This should be required reading for all medical personnel working with stroke survivors and all stroke survivors.

Dean

Sharlord

I just wanted to share that I have participated in volunteer stroke recovery sessions with Peter's group at Drake Hospital in Cincinnati. I attribute most of my stroke recovery to what I have gained there. The book is wonderful and so representative of what they practice when you do research studies. I know I am fortunate to reside near this recovery center.

Your posting led me to the bookstore on line here. I just had never been there and found it very interesting/helpful.

Stessie

It is a fabulous book. Everyone who has a stroke should be given this book in the hospital. Peter has such a good understanding of the recovery process that he is able to explain it in easy to understand terms. He gives lots of suggestions of what to do, how to do it and what to be aware of.as you takle the long road of recovery. How lucky you are Bessie to be able to attend some of his groups.

Thanks for your information, I am going to have my friend stop by the Library and see if they have it there as I am interested in reading the book.

Only thing is I need Big Print due to the damage to my eyes from the BrainStem Stroke.

I agree totally when I got out of my coma, etc. I was hoping (when I was able to understand people speaking to me,etc.) that I could see anything and everything regarding stroke. I wanted to speak to others who were in my shoes, I wanted to see a Counselor, social worker, etc. I needed to have someone there to talk to. I guess with my cancer work, I would do things like that for the patients I worked with, I would match a Breast Cancer Patient with another one so the Survivor could share their experience, strength and Hope with the newly diagnosed patient. I am blessed this site is here. My prayer is I am able to be helpful to others as I share the same things. Thanks for the FYI on that book.

Hugs, Jan

Believe In Miracles And SOAR

For any folks that live in Cinti or near this area, Drake Hospital has a new program for stroke recovery for those who are passionate about continuing recovery. Insurance companies have led us to believe that most recovery plateaus at six months to a year. Heck, most of us were still sleeping a great deal and waiting for the brain swelling to go down at six months. Repetition and cutting edge technology is available. Drake takes insurance, Medicare, Medicaid and self pay patients. I have witnessed survivors who couldn't open their hands open their hand once again. I have witnessed survivors who couldn't lift their arm above their head actually lift their arm above their head again.

Archived