Depression

Hi, my name is David J. Turdo (Dj), I am a 44 year-old male who suffered a cerebellar stroke on 5/05/2007. I was in the hospital and re-hab for over a month. I am home now and all my therapists and Docs say that I'll be fine. I do go to therapy: Speech, OT/PT 2X/Wk. The stroke has left me with mild speech apahasia and a weakness in my left (dominant), hand. Everything is getting better, but recovery (as they say), is a long and slow process.

I am going crazy, I can't stand being home and supposedly, inactive. I have a lawsuit pending against the City of New York for wrongful termination. I filed a complaint alleging official misconduct by my superiors at the Dep't. Of Correction (DOC), in April of 2005, nothing was ever investigated over the last (2) years and I never received a " letter of closure", as regards my case, from the City. Additionally, I was "blaclisted", from City employment, post my wrongful termination from DOC. Consequently, I filed a suit in Federal District Ct., looking for a proper resolution to the matter.

As I was looking for appropriate work (I have a law degree), in the private-sector when the "stroke" occurred.

So, I remain at home (absent my therapy), recovering. I am home and I am depressed. I know recovery takes a long time, but I am going crazy, and I don't know if I'll ever be the same, despite the positive prognostications.

All the best ... Dj

Hi, my name is David J. Turdo (Dj), I am a 44 year-old male who suffered a cerebellar stroke on 5/05/2007. I was in the hospital and re-hab for over a month. I am home now and all my therapists and Docs say that I'll be fine. I do go to therapy: Speech, OT/PT 2X/Wk. The stroke has left me with mild speech apahasia and a weakness in my left (dominant), hand. Everything is getting better, but recovery (as they say), is a long and slow process.

I am going crazy, I can't stand being home and supposedly, inactive. I have a lawsuit pending against the City of New York for wrongful termination. I filed a complaint alleging official misconduct by my superiors at the Dep't. Of Correction (DOC), in April of 2005, nothing was ever investigated over the last (2) years and I never received a " letter of closure", as regards my case, from the City. Additionally, I was "blaclisted", from City employment, post my wrongful termination from DOC. Consequently, I filed a suit in Federal District Ct., looking for a proper resolution to the matter.

As I was looking for appropriate work (I have a law degree), in the private-sector when the "stroke" occurred.

So, I remain at home (absent my therapy), recovering. I am home and I am depressed. I know recovery takes a long time, but I am going crazy, and I don't know if I'll ever be the same, despite the positive prognostications.

All the best ... Dj

Dj:

I am a newbie here too, but as a man who is 1 year post stroke I can tell you that you will never be the same, in some ways you will recover use of your physical abilities but the knowledge that you gain in this process will change you forever. In some ways for the better. My best advice is find a way to stay busy, hobbies, reading, helping others even by phone, whatever. Most of all do not let it get you down! Do not get bitter and hard, life is a series of ups and downs, right now things look down but that means the only way to go is up! Welcome to our wonderful board, join a chat! It is great for your outlook.

-JohnI :i_did_it!:

Hi DJ,

It is obvious why you stroked. Stress related?

I'm here though to tell you some good news. I also had a stroke in the cerebellum, however the opposite side but that was my dominant side. You won't believe this but you will see how fortunate you are. Cerebellar stroke doesn't paralyze- it numbs and you learn to live with that. And, Dr. will say if you are going to have a stroe, it is the best place. Your problem is a little more involved than mine though because the reverse side gave you mild aphasia. You can always do work ( related research) but perhaps not try cases where you would need to speak. On the other hand, I need physical activity and it casuses a bit of a problem.

You will be doing well though. It took me about 5 months to get back to some very simple work and driving. I was extremely fortunate because I had the best of therapy and therapists. Just lucked out. My stroke (this one) was a bleed. The previous one- possibly also in the cerebellum was from stress and hit a narrow spot- That time, no one would be aware that I had had a stroe. This time, I am like the town drunk.

Just keep plugging and things will go well. Anyway, :welcome: to our cyber family. If you wishj to take your mind off your problems, join us in chat. We are a wild bunch (but help anyone who needs answers etc.) but otherwise it's food and drink, virtual of course. You will swear you are there eating and drinking and having fun. Just check the schedule ad appear.

Hope to see you there.

Phyllis

hi dj, welcome to our cyber home. sorry to hear about your stroke. yes recovery is a long road with alot of ups and downs but it does get better. my stroke at 48 from a clot left me with left sided paralysis. i am able to walk with a cane and afo,but my arm isn't cooperating yet. but i have never lost hope, its been 5 years now. your depression is common after a stroke, perhaps you need to talk to your doctor about it and get on meds to help you with it. its hard to go from how you were to how you are now. but you can do it with patience and hard work on your part. the boredom i used to feel is not so bad now, since i volunteer here at this website, which was a tremendous help to me in finding it. i stay busy on my computer, do puzzles, games anything to do that i can stay busy with. i'm sorry to hear about your lawsuit but hopefully something good will come of it. maybe you could offer legal advice to people who need it via the internet. i wish you the best in your recovery. join us in chat, we have afternoon and evening chats which are alot of fun and you can ask questions and meet others like yourself. or start a blog which is very therapeutic. i hope to see you around the site and getting to know you.

:Clap-Hands: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: dj to stroke net you have now found the best stroke support site there is to comeaxross hope to meet you in :chat:

real soon just pop in and say hi to the group we al talk bout our sadventures in stokesevery one hasa dif story to tell bout there stroke but what it all comesdown to were all stroke victims

:) stroke happensso come om in and joina agternoon :chat: ora evening :chat: you will find you are not alone i will say 1 thingthe thingthatbroghts us all here is strokeyou wil meta lot of great peopleand strike up a lasting friend ship :happydance: so see you soon i hope

BESSY :big_grin:

Hi DJ and welcome. You sound like your therapy is going well. You could talk to your therapist, there are some programs to help you get back to work, and set up aids, or help with special need/things you would need to work.

As Phyl said maybe you could do the research part in a law firm, or legal aid. For now, volunteering at a hospital to talk to stroke survivors.

I had a clot on the right side, had left side hemiparesis for awhile. I regained about 90% use of my left arm/hand. I walk un-aided, with a limp.

I was unable to return to work. I worked in the medical field.. and have cognitive deficts and "left side weakness"

I volunteer here, and try to get informaton out about stroke, and this site.

You are 5 months out... I started driving about 6 months, your priority now is YOU.. and your PT, OT etc.

When you are used to Multi-tasking and going at 90 Mph, it is difficult to come to a screeching halt that stroke brings. Things get better, but at it's own pace, your brain is re-learning, and you body and brain healing.

I recommend reading in the Classic Posting Forum on the main message board "A Letter From Your Brain"

Come back often, get to know us, make friends. We have chat here. it is private.. for members only. The chat times are posted daily at the top of the message board.. and the calendar is in the menu .. Members Links. The chat tutorial is at the top of the Newbie section. We have several male hosts, and men that come to the chats as well.

Welcome to the family.

DJ,

Welcome to a group of caring friends. I just went to a program today about depression after stroke. The doc likened it to a tremendous loss. He also said it is compounded by the chemical changes and damages caused to the brain. So we have 2 strikes against us. He did say that studies have shown 80% of stroke survivors seeking help experience lessened depression and return to 'normal'.

He said sometimes all that is needed is talk therapy. There are many thoughts and feelings swarming because of all we have gone through. Sometimes medication and talk therapy are needed. The medication is needed to help eliviate some of the negative thoughts, lack of energy/motivation and future outlook. Talk therapy needs these for the therapy to work.

I started seeing a psychologist in 2005. My stroke was in 2003. I searched for a psychologist with experience with stroke patients. I was able to receive a recommendation from my neurologist. I think it helps that he has worked with many different stroke survivors and care partners. This gives him some insight into the stroke survivor's world that other therapists might not have.

Besides this, I volunteer for a stroke association, my church and my kids' schools. This is a way for my doc and I to see when I might be ready to return to work. It also helps because I feel I am contributing to society.

Welcome again! Hope to hear from you again soon! Beth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi DJ

Sorry to hear of your woes.. it is obviosly stress related. I am depressed too, but do what I can to make each day a new day. I like to be productive in one way or another. This group is warm and friendly and always helpful.

Do the best you can and always know the friends here are always here when you need them!

Welcome to a great board!

*hugs*

Billie Jo

hey David:

sorry to hear abour stroke, feeling depressed about "whyme" is natural after stroke but start looking at positives in your life, for me writing blogs on this site was major therupetic for me, I made great friends, and felt less alone, I stroked at 34(I was software engineer), & my stroke left me paralysed on my left side, after 3+ years I still can not use my left hand but I have found happiness one more time with my family and friends. I learnt what matters in life now, currently I love to spend quality time with my son

Asha

hi,

i had my stroke a year ago tuesday ((11/06/06). it was stress-related. i have weakness on my left side and i have vision problems. therapy is slow and arduous but recovery is a gradual process. i still have good days and bad days. only the best therapists understand the realm of emotions you go thru. i confess it's hard not to feel bitter. you want to lash out at someone. your feelings are normal. it helps to vent when you are frustrated because the worst thing you can do is beat yourself up and blame others for your injury. count your blessings. the people here are helpful and the site saves your sanity. maybe you can volunteer your services to help those who cannot afford legal services. it's a start. we all need help every now and then.

]hi dj,

welcome to the site - so glad you found us. as i read your post i could truely feel your despair. as everyone has said depression is like a partner to stroke - our brains are hurt and need time to recover. i had my stroke - over two years ago due to a undiagnosed heart infection which caused a bleed in my brain. my left side does not really work now although i can walk with a cane. i agree with beth so much to the importance of talk therapy. we go through stages of grief as we have lost our old selves and - at least for me - therapy has been crucial.

the hardest part of stroke - for me - is not be able to do and go as i once did. i never thought i would have a full life again without work, the gym etc. like asha and kimmie and others i am carving a new life and while it is different than what i had planned it is good.

check out some meds with your docs, see about therapy to talk about your loss and please remember you are not alone. be patient and gentle with yourself. kathy

• ksmith pinned this topic