I remember the first time I read this. It's one of those tongue-in-cheek things that also holds a good deal of truth. Anyway, I got to thinking about it again and am basically "talking to myself" but if you're as bored or as lonely as I am at the moment, you're welcome to eavesdrop.
1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it's yours to keep for the entire period.
This reminds me of another rule that says we can never have all the answers and if we ever learn the answers, God must immediately change the questions! I didn't go through much of the self image most girls do. I was never movie-star-pretty or anything near it so I guess I focused on other things. So after mastering this lesson, God says, "Very Good, Jamie! But what if we change this one little variable?" So quick as you can say poof, everything is changed and the lesson begins again.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called, "life."
You may think "hey! I didn't sign up for this!" and rightly so, but like it or lump it you're enrolled AND there is no way to play hookie...trust me on this one--I've tried.
Just don't even try it.
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial, error, and experimentation. The "failed" experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiments that ultimately "work."
Remember this one. It will feel better the next time you make one of those non-mistakes!
4. Lessons are repeated until they are learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can go on to the next lesson.
Gee thanks...I really think I excel at recess...
5. Learning lessons does not end. There's no part of life that doesn't contain its lessons. If you're alive, that means there are still lessons to be learned.
How many lessons and how smart can a person be and why do I need to know all of it? Nevermind! Forget I asked, I don't want to know. (I can't believe I just asked for more lessons!)
6. "There" is no better a place than "here." When your "there" has become a "here", you will simply obtain another "there" that will again look better than "here."
Are you feeling dizzy or is it just me?
7. What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
At first glance this is so hard to see the truth in it. I didn't make nor ask for stroke
but how I live my post-stroke life is up to me. I can let it devour me or I can find the good in each day even if that day it's hard to see.
8. Your answers lie within you. The answers to life's questions lie within you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.
9. You will forget all this.
Oh look! a chance to practice laughing!